• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    OK. Sort of new to this class III stuff. Here is my question. If I bought a 2 stamp gun. Lets say an SBR with a suppressor. Would the 2 stamps be processed around the same time or do they both go through a separate approval that holds everything up longer. Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    OP, if you are buying an SBR, it will be on a form 4 like the suppressor. Those are transfers of ownership and process In 100-250ish days. That would be 2 different stamps that may process together. If you make an SBR (put a short barrel on an AR you already own for instance) that will be a form 1. The form 1 is for making a firearm and typically process much faster than the form 4, in 7-30ish days.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Admittedly, it’s been awhile since I’ve submitted any forms, but they used to assign the inspector by the name of the transferor. I only know this because the first time I submitted any forms, I submitted two at once, and they came from different dealers. One came through a coupe, weeks before the other, just based on case load or speed of (or lack thereof) of the gov’t employee.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Transfers aren't being assigned by last name or business name anymore. I'm not sure when they changed it but I think it was when they hired a bunch of work at home folks back around 2017 or so. I don't know how much difference that makes now.
    The real answer to the OP's question is it depends on a lot of things. Someone above noted that if you're buying an SBR and a can they'll both be on the same type form and go through the same process so timing should be similar. In addition, if they're both coming from the same transferor than they should be processed at the same time by the same examiner so should go together. Since they changed the way forms are assigned to examiners though its a crapshoot. I transferred a couple things to a gent a few years back and both transfers went to different examiners. They came back within a week of each other though. Others I've heard of have been widely different. Examiners do things a lot different and where one will kick back a form for a small mistake another will call or email to clarify the mistake and fix it. Like I said, its a crapshoot.

If you're making the SBR or the can or both than the form one process is a little different. If you're using the eforms system the process is different. Buying stuff from different people is different. So the overall answer to your question is: You'll find out when you get your forms back, with or without a stamp.

Just a small detail, stamps once canceled are worthless. Having a stamp with no form will not protect you from prosecution if you are grabbed for having nfa. Having a form with no stamp will....I see a lot of form 1s and form 4s come back without stamps because they forgot to put them on. They're all valid and perfectly good. Stamps alone are not. Just a pet peeve on my part. Buying a stamp or waiting for a stamp or having a stamp means nothing....get the approved form for greater satisfaction.

Frank

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    If you purchase an SBR (not manufacture one) and a suppressor from the same dealer, they will be processed and approved at the same time. I submit them like this all the time and have never had them come back separately.

jujofields

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    Tippecanoe County
    If you purchase an SBR (not manufacture one) and a suppressor from the same dealer, they will be processed and approved at the same time. I submit them like this all the time and have never had them come back separately.
    This is great news for me! I recently purchased an integrally suppressed SBR online that requires two Form 4 stamps. Fingers crossed this is the case for me too!

Top Bottom