• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I believe they were all but extinct and brought them back from the brink. They released one of the first breeding pairs in Muncie back in the early 90’s If I remember right. Seems they done well in following 30 years.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I believe they were all but extinct and brought them back from the brink. They released one of the fist breeding pairs in Muncie back in the early 90’s If I remember right. Seems they done well in following 30 years.
    DNR ran a program where people could sponsor the reintroduction of otters into Indiana waterways. Once they were here they didn't waste any time reproducing and without any hunting or trapping pressure they came back strong. DNR was worried about the people who had paid to sponsor their reintroduction being upset when they announced opened them up for trapping but I never heard any hullabaloo.

They're fun to watch and cute as can be but they're voracious and pretty much a death sentence for small ponds if they wander in from a river or stream.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    220 intentionally set for otter. I was quoted $450 for a mount. If I catch a 20 pounder I'll mount, this one was 13 pounds.
    OK, still way cool.

After 40 years I finally tripled on mink. All intentional, bottom edge sets. With prices the way they are I took a rather large buck to my guy. I should get him back in a few more weeks.

Again, congrats.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    OK, still way cool.

After 40 years I finally tripled on mink. All intentional, bottom edge sets. With prices the way they are I took a rather large buck to my guy. I should get him back in a few more weeks.

Again, congrats.
    Mink can go through a chicken coop in a single night. They leave a bunch of shriveled husks of chickens with their necks mostly chewed off. Had three flocks wiped out by them. And though they say they are not migratory, it always seems late fall is when we get visited.

Last edited:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Mink can go through a chicken coop in a single night. They leave a a bunch on shriveled husks of chickens with their necks mostly chewed off. Had three flocks wiped out by them. And though they say they are not migratory, it always seems late fall is when we get visited.
    Getting ready for winter, buck mink will increase his travel distance ~40% before cold weather sets in.

Most folk think mink are a water critter, they aren’t. They are a predator just like other predators and can be caught miles from water.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Getting ready for winter, buck mink will increase his travel distance ~40% before cold weather sets in.

Most folk think mink are a water critter, they aren’t. They are a predator just like other predators and can be caught miles from water.
    Correct. I live in Shelby county. No large bodies of water nearby. We have a small creek that runs dry most of the year. Those things can get into the smallest holes of almost anything. Which means they can get out of almost anything too!

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Correct. I live in Shelby county. No large bodies of water nearby. We have a small creek that runs dry most of the year. Those things can get into the smallest holes of almost anything. Which means they can get out of almost anything too!
    Yep, but a 110 coni with a spread out trigger will dang sure get’em when set in the “exact” proper location.

I started using the holders that hold a coni in place about 3 or 4 seasons ago, in years like this with no ice that’s the ticket. * those Russian *‘s.

When this war is over I’m looking at a new truck, populations are up, trapping pressure will be down, held over fur will be gone, A just rite time to be a trapper.

Top Bottom