• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was given my great-grandfather's army special 38 from 1923 a few years ago. He served on the Ft Wayne police department and this was his service pistol. Gander Mountain gunsmith said it was in great shape but didn't recommend firing it much because today's ammo is a lot more powerful than the gun was designed for.

Can you guys give me some opinions on the truth of that statement? If true, could I have a reload guy make me some softer loads to run through it for nostalgia shooting without harming it? Appears to be in great shape.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Is it a 38 Special or 38 S&W? Either way it should be ok to fire if it's in good mechanical condition. Have another gunsmith check it out if ya want to make sure. I'm sure some of the reloaders on here can give you plenty of info on reduced power rounds. If it were mine I'd shoot it.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Being an Army special, which predates the Official Police, I wouldn't run much +P thru it. But if it's in good shape there's no problem with regular 38 special. Get some round nose lead , wadcutters or the 130 grain FMJ. Won't hurt it at all.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Not sure, left side of barrel says "colt army special 38", other side lists patents. Grip says Colt on each side, no other markings.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Give me the serial number and I'll look it up for you. Look inside the crane, swing out the cylinder and find the serial number. Should be 5 or 6 digits. Give me the first 3 and i can look it up.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If it's in good condition standard pressure .38 special will be fine. It's generally recommended that pre-war revolvers not use +P.

If it's loose, then put it in a display case. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion, but I would follow the gunsmiths' recommendations.

Top Bottom