• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    What's the best early pocket pistol? I'm putting the 3 earliest I have tomorrow. 1907 savage, colt 1903 and a baby browning. Just add to argument is there a better one I'm missing and what do you think is the best?

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Those are three good choices ... I do particularly like the design Savage 1907 ... but I would say best 1920's pocket gun is the Remington Model 51 with the John Pederson designed "momentum block" lockup mechanism. The M51 is easily the most comfortable gun I have ever held in my hands. I have 2 of them both manufactured in 1920.

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    i've carried my 1910 browning a few times, fun gun too you would be surprised what you can hit with just a site groove in a slide as your only sites :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Savage 1907 and a Colt 1903, both in .32acp. Both feel great in the hand, but my vote has to go to the Colt.
    No experience with the Baby Browning.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    It's going to be interesting the savage Actually looks better built but I feel the colt is one if the best shooting pocket pistols still to this day. We are heading out now to shoot thanks for your comments

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have 2 Colt 1903's :patriot: in .32ACP. One is always in my pocket. Buffalo Bore 75 gr Hard cast FN (1150 fps/M.E. 220Ft Lbs) is the round I carry in it. Buffalo Bore has a good blog on the .32 ammo. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=132
    The 1903 was carried a lot by Wild Bill Donovan's boys :patriot: during the 1940's-1950's. The .32 ACP was easy to get as it was the major cop round :draw: of that era. I read an article in the NRA magazine of a quest for a good round for one of the early information seekers :patriot: going to east Germany after the war.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    Shot them all yesterday to the extent of 300rds and we even tossed in a derringer as someone earlier mentioned. The 1903 colt felt natural in the hand to the point of being the most comfortable gun to hold I own and as a family out collection is over 400. The colt also fit nicely in the pocket it's thin and smooth build made it easy to carry and was a pleasure to shoot. It was very accurate to compare to a modern pocket pistol we took out the ruger lcp, sw380 bodyguard and a sw shield. It out shot them all (I believe because of there long pull triggers). With that said the savage was smooth best groups out of all 3, carried more ammo and felt like a pistol that was made to be the best. The baby browning is a great carry and we felt it was more like today's pocket pistols all about concealment less about function. If I wanted a small reliable accurate pistol the savage would be it. I was was looking for a smooth sleek pocket pistol that I was going to carry all the time colt would be my choice. The browning was a fine gun but just got out performed. I hope this didn't offend anyone its just what I did to settle a card table argument.

Last edited:

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Shot them all yesterday to the extent of 300rds and we even tossed in a derringer as someone earlier mentioned. The 1903 colt felt natural in the hand to the point of being the most comfortable gun to hold I own and as a family out collection is over 400. The colt also fit nicely in the pocket it's thin and smooth build made it easy to carry and was a pleasure to shoot. It was very accurate to compare to a modern pocket pistol we took out the ruger lcp, sw380 bodyguard and a sw shield. It out shot them all (I believe because of there long pull triggers). With that said the savage was smooth best groups out of all 3, carried more ammo and felt like a pistol that was made to be the best. The baby browning is a great carry and we felt it was more like today's pocket pistols all about concealment less about function. If I wanted a small reliable accurate pistol the savage would be it. I was was looking for a smooth sleek pocket pistol that I was going to carry all the time colt would be my choice. The browning was a fine gun but just got out performed. I hope this didn't offend anyone its just what I did to settle a card table argument.

Please count me in for the family reunion!

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I have an Ortgies I enjoy but it seems to always have trouble. Had a Beholla once that was a real piece of crap LOL

My favorite so far is an Astra 300.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Remington had a pocket model in 380 1920s shot very well

Patton carried one...When you look at one of those it looks like a modern gun...Very compact and it doesn't follow the lines of the "Art Deco" style that even bled into the gun designs of that era....They are flat and reliable and plain beautiful in a spartan kind of way...

I always thought the "Colt Bankers Special" and "Pocket Positive" were decent pocket guns of the "Roaring Twenties" as well...IMHO lest my bringing up a revolver design be misconstrued as "testy" or "Religous" in nature.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Enjoyed the thread...Old weapons are my hobby. I have owned all of these weapons at one time or the other,and I would have to agree with your conclusions, those Savages point very naturally,and the ones that I have owned printed very nicely.The small Browning had occasional feed issues. The early Colt? Well I think to understand,you just need to own one.One of the local shops has a 1903 Pocket in .38 ACP that I am coveting in a manner that is almost sinful!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I think that many of the hammer -less revolvers of that period are great guns
    S&W , Iver johnson ,and many others .Fact is that S&W still makes one and revolvers of that period were reliable and small.They came in 22cal ,32 cal and 38cal

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom