• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Hello all, I recently purchased a 1918 colt, it was nickeled at one point but still has deep markings. The nickel is now stripped and I'm going to reblue it. My biggest concern is I'm reading about not shooting them do to the mild steel slides. It's seems like everything is still very solid. Was just wondering if anyone had any input? I really want this to be a shooter...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Great to hear. Know anything of why they cry about the slide cracking so much? I know the metal is softer but surely not that soft.
    Not that I'm truly aware of, we have a few 1911 and A1 GI pistols. We shoot them on occasion, but we baby them when we do. Original parts in good condition are getting hard to find and more expensive.

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Not that I'm truly aware of, we have a few 1911 and A1 GI pistols. We shoot them on occasion, but we baby them when we do. Original parts in good condition are getting hard to find and more expensive.
    Very true on the parts. But the gun will definitely be okay to shoot without worry? I'm a clean freak so it will be well maintained.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Very true on the parts. But the gun will definitely be okay to shoot without worry? I'm a clean freak so it will be well maintained.
    IF you are concerned, reload on the lighter side for it.

And if you dont reload, INGO advertiser Bobcat Armament in Shelbyville will do custom loads. Last time I had him do competition loads for me he only charged a $35 setup fee per run on top of his regular cost. (50 or 50,000 rounds)

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    IF you are concerned, reload on the lighter side for it.

And if you dont reload, INGO advertiser Bobcat Armament in Shelbyville will do custom loads. Last time I had him do competition loads for me he only charged a $35 setup fee per run on top of his regular cost. (50 or 50,000 rounds)
    Alrighty, I will look into some lighter loads. I've just been running 230gr jacketed ball thru it. I'm not to concerned about it breaking to much. I know it's worth money but on the other hand it's far from its original condition. Parts appear to be correct though. Will probably get another barrel so I dont have to shoot out the old one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Alrighty, I will look into some lighter loads. I've just been running 230gr jacketed ball thru it. I'm not to concerned about it breaking to much. I know it's worth money but on the other hand it's far from its original condition. Parts appear to be correct though. Will probably get another barrel so I dont have to shoot out the old one.
    And Kimball is great to work with. You give him the specs and he'll make it happen. (specific bullets, powder, loads, OAL, etc.) I didnt feel like pulling the lever on my press 2,000x so for barely more than retail cases, his motorized Dillon cranked them out for me the same exact load I would do at home. Even the oddball flat points I use.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just shift over to cast lead bullets, you will never wear it out then.

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    And Kimball is great to work with. You give him the specs and he'll make it happen. (specific bullets, powder, loads, OAL, etc.) I didnt feel like pulling the lever on my press 2,000x so for barely more than retail cases, his motorized Dillon cranked them out for me the same exact load I would do at home. Even the oddball flat points I use.
    I will have to check him out. Been wanting some better 45 rounds for it.

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Nothing wrong with a nickle plated Black Army and like Creedmoor said, a steady diet of cast lead bullets is great for 45 ACP stuff.
    Sure isnt, if it's plated properly then it looks good. Yours looks great, definitely a good looking firearm. I will definitely go get some cast bullets for it. Any idea what they are worth after they have been refinished like this? I'm going to give it a good blue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sure isnt, if it's plated properly then it looks good. Yours looks great, definitely a good looking firearm. I will definitely go get some cast bullets for it. Any idea what they are worth after they have been refinished like this? I'm going to give it a good blue.

Even a refinished Black Army is going to be well north of $1000.

Top Bottom