• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Any recommendations on a OC holster for a 1911?
    I would like something that I can wear on the belt on my strong side (right side). I currenlty have a Cross Breed Super Tuck IWB that is perfect of OC but want to give OC a try. My 1911 came with a holster, used it once at home and felt that the holster "kept" the gun and would not allow me to pull it out. Perhaps that was due to it being new or it being my first time.

In any case the Cabela's post has shown me that I should OC and not be ashame that I have a gun.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I assume you mean Open Carry by OC. If so, I'd reccomend an Askins Avenger or good colpy thereof. The originals were made by Bianchi and are great holsters. Do a Google on them and you'll find several smaller manufacturers making various models of them. SOme pics of a copy and the original, although left handed.

google8f16bc75b41e3a05html.gif

bianchi_askins_avenger.gif

I've got one originally for a Browning Hi-Power, but it works great for my 1911's. It's a great concealed carry holster, but without a cover garment, would be a find open carry or woods bumming rig. Very stable and good retention.

Doug K

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Any recommendations on a OC holster for a 1911?
    I would like something that I can wear on the belt on my strong side (right side). I currenlty have a Cross Breed Super Tuck IWB that is perfect of OC but want to give OC a try. My 1911 came with a holster, used it once at home and felt that the holster "kept" the gun and would not allow me to pull it out. Perhaps that was due to it being new or it being my first time.

In any case the Cabela's post has shown me that I should OC and not be ashame that I have a gun.

If you're not looking for leather, I would highly suggest a Blackhawk Serpa holster, I have one for my 1911 and for OC I couldn't ask for anything better. Safe, Secure, and ready in a flash when needed.

If leather is more your thing, I would suggest a custom holster from UBG Holsters. I have one of his IWB and would not trade it for anything else.

Enjoy!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You will be able to find the Blackhawk Serpa holster at the 1500, but finding leather will be more difficult. You will probably be better served ordering online.

A side note on the Serpa retention device-- using your trigger finger to do ANYTHING other than sit in register along the frame during a draw is a bad idea, IMO.

I would recommend a leather pancake holster with thumb break for OC activities.
    I have this one for my G19 and like it:
    76-1100_s.jpg

Price was about $52.

Add a single mag pouch and you'll be stylin'!
    76-1580_s.jpg

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    <<snip>>
    A side note on the Serpa retention device-- using your trigger finger to do ANYTHING other than sit in register along the frame during a draw is a bad idea, IMO.
    <<snip>>

esrice: why is having the index finger releasing the serpa holster and indexing along the side of the slide a bad idea?
    I have read this before but I do not have a serpa holster. I really wanted one for motorcycle riding and now I am second guessing.
    From what I have seen the trigger finger is in the correct resting postion during the holster release and is already set up to stay right there. What gives? :dunno:

ETA: :hijack:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    They put the Serpa device right where your trigger finger should already be, which makes more sense than putting it somewhere your finger normally isn't.

However, think about what that finger has to do at the exact moment you're pulling it out of the holster. You are applying direct pressure toward the trigger. If, once the gun clears kydex, your finger is still trying to push, you could end up pulling the trigger accidentally (negligently).

Using another finger, such as your thumb, to release a thumb break or push a plunger (like some Fobus) doesn't have this same problem.

Make sense?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks esrice,

Not sure I like the "plastic" holsters they look so ... not sure how to describe it but they look "cold" whereas the leather ones look like they present the gun better. Yes probably just my personal taste. Where can I get the leather pancake holster type?
    Thanks

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I recommend Galco holster for a good leather holster. I have a few holsters made by them and there are really nice.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i got a Don Hume Black leather holster. i love it but there no safety belt to hold the gun in. the hardest thing though was breaking in the leather.

PICT0346.jpg

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've got Galco = good, Mitch Rosen = very good, Don Hume = serviceable. I'd say you can't go wrong with Galco for the price, if you want better, you'll have to go custom.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Thanks esrice,

Not sure I like the "plastic" holsters they look so ... not sure how to describe it but they look "cold" whereas the leather ones look like they present the gun better. Yes probably just my personal taste. Where can I get the leather pancake holster type?
    Thanks

FWIW... I have a couple of nice leather IWB holsters. One is Galco summer comfort (1911) the other is Don Hume (SA-XD). With both of these nice leather holsters I found that my body chemistry somehow allows moisture buildup and rust along the "inboard" side of the slide. I have gotten a crossbreed IWB holster for each firearm and have not seen any moisture or rust since. I presume that the plastic area that holds the firearm allows enough air circulation that the moisture isn't allowed to develope.
    I have not done nearly as much experimenting with leather OWB holsters.
    YMMV

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    They put the Serpa device right where your trigger finger should already be, which makes more sense than putting it somewhere your finger normally isn't.

However, think about what that finger has to do at the exact moment you're pulling it out of the holster. You are applying direct pressure toward the trigger. If, once the gun clears kydex, your finger is still trying to push, you could end up pulling the trigger accidentally (negligently).

Using another finger, such as your thumb, to release a thumb break or push a plunger (like some Fobus) doesn't have this same problem.

Make sense?

Esrice,

Have you used the Serpa holster before?? It sounds like maybe you haven't. I have one and it works wonderful, you don't really have to press down just drag your trigger finger, which after the gun is un-holstered is in perfect position for parallel with the barrel.

Try it, you may just like it

If you have tried it, sorry it doesn't work for you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Esrice,

Have you used the Serpa holster before?? It sounds like maybe you haven't. I have one and it works wonderful, you don't really have to press down just drag your trigger finger, which after the gun is un-holstered is in perfect position for parallel with the barrel.

Try it, you may just like it

If you have tried it, sorry it doesn't work for you.

Wag,

I have never owned one, but I have "used" one to the extent that I became familiar with the mechanism. For the above-stated reasons, I will not carry one. My trigger finger has one job only-- to pull the trigger. It has only two positions-- in register or on the trigger. I don't want to ingrain muscle memory for another job.

And I'm not the first person to come to this conclusion. There is one big-name school that won't even allow them in class. Quoted from FAQ | Tactical Response
    Why no Serpa holsters?
    An answer from our friend Paul Gomez: Begin Quote “Over the last year,I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa ActiveRetention holster design. Various persons have brought these concernsto the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk haschosen to ignore these very real issues.
    The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shapedcomponent which functions as the release button [from the outside ofthe holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard].The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol],while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from theholster.
    According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using yournormal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body.… As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’srelease mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon andit releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”
    While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboardpressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tendto push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, thisis the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushingbuttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. Whenthe finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates theupward motion of the draw stroke, the finger tends to stay in motionand as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters thetrigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.
    I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shotthemselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. InAugust of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resultedin the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurredwith nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in Aprilof 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actualgunshot wound previously mentioned.
    Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advisedof the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance,they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with thedesign and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by lawenforcement and military personnel’.
    After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people.Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heardnothing similar from any sources.” End Quote

If it works for you and you're comfortable with it, then by all means train yourself to use it properly. I'm not here to stomp on people's holster choices; just trying to give the OP some info.

Top Bottom