• ...and so much more!
  • AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Disclaimer: I use CLP at present.

1. I've read multiple articles on this topic by various people and it seems like there are two tribes: grease vs oil. One article says absolutely use grease (the right kind) in the usual places - frame rails, slide etc etc. The next says absolutely don't use grease, it attracts contaminants like sand, instead use oil (the right kind) in the usual places. Purely by coincidence, I'm sure, both types of articles usually have fine print disclaimers saying that the author is sponsored by Acme Lubricants or whatever....

Anyway, I'm looking for a lightweight Commander at the moment and want to start it right. My current RIA is a learning tool.

2. Prevention of idiot scratch? Best suggestion I've read is getting an Ed Brown slide stop which is already notched. Other suggestions?

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Start here. 3rd faq down.
    This is the protocol I use on my 1911s.

I use the following products.
    G96 Complete Triple-Action Gun Treatment 12 oz https://a.co/d/1aiMFry

Mil-Comm TW25B Premium Firearm and Gun Grease 4-Ounce Tapered Tip Tube, Synthetic Lubricant https://a.co/d/3MUcDlQ

If it’s good in Dan Wesson’s eyes… it’s good enough for me.

My DW Valor down to my RIA and everything in between gets treated this way with these products.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    2. Prevention of idiot scratch? Best suggestion I've read is getting an Ed Brown slide stop which is already notched. Other suggestions?
    you don't really have to rotate the ss into place as most assume, they generally just pop into place by pressing straight down.
    But I have been known to use a couple pieces of painter's or black electrical tape on the frame, no shame in that game...I can't stand idiot scratches personally...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    you don't really have to rotate the ss into place as most assume, they generally just pop into place by pressing straight down.
    But I have been known to use a couple pieces of painter's or black electrical tape on the frame, no shame in that game...I can't stand idiot scratches personally...
    I cut a piece of a playing card that covers the area that gets scratched. I used it early on, but don't anymore. Like Tyler says, you can usually just press it straight in or close enough that your not swinging the SS over the frame.

As far as lube, I'm not fussy. I keep it clean(now) and oil it with gun oil. It's loose enough that pebbles and small stones will just fall out of the slide rails. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I tend to run my 1911s wet. I've been using a homebrew gun lube for years. It's made by mixing 1 qt Mobil 1 with 1 qt Mobil 1 ATF. Then, I add a bit of STP to alter the viscosity a bit. The last batch I mixed was back in 2011 and I've still got about a third of it left. In a pinch, it makes for a decent, mild gun cleaner too.

For carry, I'm a bit more judicious in my application of lube. For the range though, I don't mind a bit of seepage around the pins.

On the SS, I tend to notch the SS myself on guns that don't already have an idiot scratch. Both of my USGI 1911s came with idiot scratches and I don't do permanent mods on those, so I'm just very careful upon reassembly using the stock SS.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    I tend to run my 1911s wet. I've been using a homebrew gun lube for years. It's made by mixing 1 qt Mobil 1 with 1 qt Mobil 1 ATF. Then, I add a bit of STP to alter the viscosity a bit. The last batch I mixed was back in 2011 and I've still got about a third of it left. In a pinch, it makes for a decent, mild gun cleaner too.

For carry, I'm a bit more judicious in my application of lube. For the range though, I don't mind a bit of seepage around the pins.

On the SS, I tend to notch the SS myself on guns that don't already have an idiot scratch. Both of my USGI 1911s came with idiot scratches and I don't do permanent mods on those, so I'm just very careful upon reassembly using the stock SS.
    I am also a fan of notching the slide stop!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Mil-Comm TW25B Premium Firearm and Gun Grease 4-Ounce Tapered Tip Tube, Synthetic Lubricant https://a.co/d/3MUcDlQ

My DW Valor down to my RIA and everything in between gets treated this way with these products.
    I was with it until I read this part "It is very important to stay away from strippers" :grabass:

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I use a home brew of engine assembly lube and Mobile 1 mixed to desired viscosity.

On stainless steel guns I will use a tad bit of Slide Glide on the rails.

I will use a business card on the slide stop, if not notched and/or if the 1911 belongs to someone else.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

"Don’t get overly concerned with having the gun spotless."

Good advice from DW

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Sounds like there are a variety of mixtures that people use which brings me to my question. Do you have a go to mixture lube that you apply to all your guns or do you have specific lubes (mixtures) for specific models?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For highly accurized 1911's for precision pistol competition, I use oil because of the super tight tolerances. I like FP-10. For carry and range 1911's I use TWB 25 grease. The most important thing is to lube and where. Around the end of the barrel where it fits into the barrel bushing. One the hood of the barrel and on the rails. I also like some lube on the firing pin channel of the slide. Stainless steel frames and slides especially must always have lubrication. Too many people overthink the products. About any decent product works.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I’ve literally used motor oil off a dipstick to lube a gun. I prefer fresh oil but in the heat of the moment ky would work.

Reactions: Leo

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I think BEMike's advice is spot on...he's shot thousands of rounds in competition.
    I gowith mfg's recommendation,aside from that your pistol will tell you how wet or dry.

Top Bottom