• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I want to purchase my first 1911. On a limited budget, but don't wanna go super cheap. It will be for my CC/OC for when I'm not at work. Not too into decorative grips and such. Plain all black will do just nicely. Need some advice. (purchase is more future, say six months at min. I just want to do my homework) :ar15:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Kimber or Springfield is going to make you a fine gun. I went with Kimbers TLE Custom II (5" barrel) or you can go with the TLE Pro Size (4" barrel) and now they have it in the Ultra size (3" barrel).

NewKImber006.jpg

The TLE Custom II has night sights & front strap checkering (30 lp)

Dough

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Terre Haute
    As far as best bang for the low buck. I'd buy a Rock Island by Armscor. Not much bling factor or anything but it works. Either way, Hope you enjoy whatever you purchase.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you aren't stuck on buying a new gun, you can get good to great deals on hardly used 1911's. I'd check the WTS thread here first...and then some of the other boards if you don't find what you like.
    But if you are set on new, I think the examples given thus far will serve you well.

toddk

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Lake / Porter Co
    not sure about the others, but if you can get a used kimber in your price range, they are great. I would love to get a Kimber... Shot a few, they are so smooth, and sweet.

KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just bought a SA Loaded with factory Trijicon night sights. It is absolutely a thing of beauty, just the right mix of new technologies and respect for the original. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but I can't wait. In terms of price, it's in the middle ground between a Kimber and a GI model.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The RIA Compact I have is a great gun, but is pretty heavy for daily carry. I normally carry either a Kimber Ultra or a Kimber Compact in SS and the difference in weight is noticable between either of those and the RIA. To be honest though, I was using a lower quality Galco holster for the RIA and went to a set of really nice Kramer holsters for the Kimbers. The weight of the RIA along with a Galco holster that allowed it to flop around a bit may have exaggerated the carry experience difference. Aside from the weight, the other reason I went with Kimbers was for the ability to run night sights. The cost of custom machine work needed to retrofit night sights on my RIA was prohibitive. So, instead of spending $300 for sights and machine work, I ended up spending $800 but lost a couple of ounces in the process. Maybe I should have done the math a little better back then :rolleyes:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    For that price, you will get a lot more for your money going with a Kimber or a Springfield. Although, I have my personal preference, they are both fine guns.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I'm currently carrying a Kimber Pro Carry and like it a lot. The aluminum frame lightens it up a little and makes it easier to carry. If you don't want all the bells and whistles, you can get a Rock Island Armory compact for half the price of the fancier Kimber's.

Top Bottom