• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    Hey All,I would like to replace the standard "cut off my love handle" hammer on my 1911 government model with a more rounded "skeletonized" hammer, similar to the Officers model. Any suggestions on someone in Indy who would treat me right and not require an entire tax check to do it? Thanks in advance.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hey All,I would like to replace the standard "cut off my love handle" hammer on my 1911 government model with a more rounded "skeletonized" hammer, similar to the Officers model. Any suggestions on someone in Indy who would treat me right and not require an entire tax check to do it? Thanks in advance.

Bear in mind if you are referring to a spur hammer being changed to a "commander" style hammer you may need to replace or really modify your grip safety too.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Bear in mind if you are referring to a spur hammer being changed to a "commander" style hammer you may need to replace or really modify your grip safety too.

Yep, alot of people dont realize that a commander hammer will not come back far enough to cock w/ a standard grip saftey.

Used to be you had to pay the big bucks to have a new grip saftey (beaver tail style) installed and fitted, but someone out there makes a drop in one that works w/ the existing frame spurs so the only fitting is the trigger bar stop, possibly width and under rare circumstances some travel issues.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yep, alot of people dont realize that a commander hammer will not come back far enough to cock w/ a standard grip saftey.

Used to be you had to pay the big bucks to have a new grip saftey (beaver tail style) installed and fitted, but someone out there makes a drop in one that works w/ the existing frame spurs so the only fitting is the trigger bar stop, possibly width and under rare circumstances some travel issues.

Wilson makes a pretty decent "drop-in".

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I talked to him a few months back about doing some work and he told me he gave up on it. I would be more than happy to hear that he is going to stick with it.

under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    Awesome

I appreciate the extra information. I trust Wilson for their quality. So no worries. I am probably going to be on that side of town today, may even try the lanes, so I might talk to Charlie if he's in. I am torn between leaving this original and makin it more comfortable to carry, but with drop in mods, the anti conversion should be no more problem than the conversion. Makes me feel a little more comfortable with the decision...

Thanks again and be safe...

Top Bottom