• ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Quite serious.

The myth that 1911s break all of the time comes from the cheaper, massed produced weapons out there.

I should have been a bit more clear.

If it's just a range gun....then who cares?

If you're betting your life on it, or if it's going to go through a lot of abuse due to competition use, the above advice is 100% applicable. As so evidenced by the OP and just about every 1911 I've ever heard of breaking.

Thus if you're not going to pay the $$ for a good one, then buy a polymer to bet your life on. That way you know it'll go bang instead of having the hammer, extractor, etc break in the middle of the fight.

If you are serious then you know there is not a 1911 on the market made to Browings specs. ;)

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you are serious then you know there is not a 1911 on the market made to Browings specs. ;)

That is very true.:(

But you can get guns that are close enough to them so as to be reliable, and then you can (if you wish) restore the guns to be as close to Browning's specs as possible. You have to be careful with that though. I personally like to find one that works, (not hard to do) and then follow the first commandment of 1911s, taught to me by my Grandpa.
    "Do not mucketh with thy 1911"

A fun article: The Gospel According To John

Blueboxer, here on INGO, introduced me to Hilton Yam at 10-8 performance, and he lists some of the most solid 1911 advice I've seen.

Obviously we wouldn't want to go back to EVERYTHING the original had. Bigger sights, ambi safeties, 8 round mags (but never more!), tritium, and rails for mounting lights are good things.

EDIT: The day someone makes a factory 1911 with Browning's original specs (only updated with bigger sights, etc) is the day Aaron1776 drops a ridiculous amount of money on his new safe queen.

Last edited:

squeals99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Linton
    well its getting shipped off tomorrow... i carry either my xds or my m&p, so this isn't a put my family's lives on the line gun, its just a take out and shoot at the range gun that i will never get rid of because it is the first handgun i ever purchased.... it's been a good one to learn more about the general function and just basic repairs and such of a firearm, but I don't think i could ever get rid of it

i have been on a buying streak, and plan on stepping up to the more top notch range sometime, but this one has helped me learn more just about function and just general maintenance, which i feel like helps me in the long run...

but thanks everybody for the help! probably not one for me to try to void a warranty on considering it seems like it may see the service center more than just this trip!

Top Bottom