• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have a Sig GSR, and really like it. I had a Springer loaded, but the Sig is smoother, feeds everything, and has a much better (factory) trigger, in my opinion. I'd have to give the edge on fit and finish to the Sig as well. I think external extractors are better than internal, but that's simply personal preference.

sig.jpg

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Why do you feel that way? Just generally curious.

Because an internal extractor has to flex if the slide is dropped on a round already in the chamber, where an external extractor can simply pivot on a pin to perform the same function. Less stress on the metal.....

But, again, some like it and some don't. :dunno:

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Because an internal extractor has to flex if the slide is dropped on a round already in the chamber, where an external extractor can simply pivot on a pin to perform the same function. Less stress on the metal.....

But, again, some like it and some don't. :dunno:

Seems to be a great reason to me. Now what's the other side of the argument?

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Seems to be a great reason to me. Now what's the other side of the argument?

I think the other side is purity/alignment to the original design. There are a number of people (me included) that have never had an issue with the internal. I have 1911s with both, and I'm happy with both.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I think the other side is purity/alignment to the original design. There are a number of people (me included) that have never had an issue with the internal. I have 1911s with both, and I'm happy with both.

Really? Is that all? Wow, I thought there would be some technical differences other than the stress factor as stated by Jay. Seems like an aesthetic non-issue to me (along with what you said about being true to the original).

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Really? Is that all? Wow, I thought there would be some technical differences other than the stress factor as stated by Jay. Seems like an aesthetic non-issue to me (along with what you said about being true to the original).

While the stress factors listed by Jay are real, dropping a slide (and thus the extractor) on a round is not the correct procedure regardless of internal or external. While you might get away with it longer with an external, it's still a bad practice that can lead to failure.

I currently have a hand full of Colt 1911s and 2 Sig 1911s, my Sigs are top notch... I don't think the original poster would go wrong with either.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    It seems the argument stems from the internal extractor design has been used since a loaf of bread and cold beer were invented and as more of a purist like myself i tend to sway towards the internal extractor design. I do also own a 1911 with the external extractor and have had no failures with the design and really no qualms about it. I guess it's just hard to convert alot of new designs when original designs have already been proven reliable. :twocents:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have Colts, Kimbers, and Dan Wesson's with internal extractors, and Sig 1911's with external extractors. I've not had any issues with any of 'em. Personal preference wins again....

Here's a thread from 1911.com.... http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=327910

... and another one from handgunforum.net... External vs. internal extractors ... see post #4

dropping a slide (and thus the extractor) on a round is not the correct procedure regardless of internal or external.

That's absolutely correct.....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom