• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    Kind of in the mood for one. In my price range I find Citadel, Para, Rock Island, Taurus and Tisas on Buds. Any experience with any of these, what say ye?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've had a Taurus for ~3 years, no issue with feeding, but start having issue with light strikes, maybe it the ammo (Wolf steel case), another than that no other issues. I have yet to change out the spring, so maybe that the issue.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Until recently, I just could not warm up to the idea of a 9mm 1911. Then I had an epiphany of sorts and realized that every gun does not need to be justified as a carry gun and some can be had just for fun. Couple that blinding flash of rationalization with a range trip where I was in the mood to shoot a 1911, but was plumb out of .45, yet had boxes of 9mm and I saw the light. If I do add another 1911 to the collection this year, it will probably be a 9mm Springfield. I may fit a .40 S&W barrel to my DE just so I can shoot 1911s no matter what ammo I'm stocked up on.

The only experience I have with the list of pistols you posted is with a Compact RIA in .45. That does not help much, but for what it's worth, the things been reliable for me. It was my second 1911 bought and despite not being carried much, it's still fun to shoot.

AlphaRHINO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Evansville
    I have a Taurus pt1911 in 9mm...love it. I purchased it because I too was curious and wanted something cheaper to shoot. have not had one issue with it yet

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Have the RIA tactical in 9mm. Not bad, although you may need to work on it a bit to get the gun you want. May want to change out sights before long.

I have one of these also. The only thing I have/ would change-- Already changed the grips. Better sights, mine are all black so they can be hard to see, I painted my front sight white so its not so bad now

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Why not look into getting a RI in 22TCM/9mm.. Two for the price of one. I've been through a few and still have 2, great pistols for the money. The 22TCM will spoil you, too much fun to shoot.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I have the Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. You may want to hold out and collect a few more green backs and snag one. It's absolutely freaking accurate. If you can't then I'd probably go for the RIA. It can always have cash thrown at it a little bit at a time to make it what you want. Nothing wrong with that either.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    Why not look into getting a RI in 22TCM/9mm.. Two for the price of one. I've been through a few and still have 2, great pistols for the money. The 22TCM will spoil you, too much fun to shoot.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Dang it, now Im really distracted, this looks cool!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just sold a 9mm STI Trojan, Dad had a 9 range officer and shooting buddies have 9mm Sti's + one or two 9mm Les Baers a couple three Dan Wessons & at least one Rock Island in the group. All fine guns and at least regionally popular at steels & idpa & USPSA matches.

I have and have seen others have nuisance issues getting 10 round magazines to run, my recommendation is to use 9 round mags. Beyond the 10 round mag issues (which are fixable or you may just not have them) the only guns that seemed to have issues were the Dan Wessons, I think one guy diagnosed the problem on his and fixed it with a dremel and the other guys finally sent those back & the factory got them to run.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just sold a 9mm STI Trojan, Dad had a 9 range officer and shooting buddies have 9mm Sti's + one or two 9mm Les Baers a couple three Dan Wessons & at least one Rock Island in the group. All fine guns and at least regionally popular at steels & idpa & USPSA matches.

I have and have seen others have nuisance issues getting 10 round magazines to run, my recommendation is to use 9 round mags. Beyond the 10 round mag issues (which are fixable or you may just not have them) the only guns that seemed to have issues were the Dan Wessons, I think one guy diagnosed the problem on his and fixed it with a dremel and the other guys finally sent those back & the factory got them to run.

I run Dawson 10 round mags in my RO and knock on wood, no issues!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I have to agree that the 22TCM is a lot of fun. Met TopDog at ITP last week and shot his. The place was full and when I started shooting it, everyone else in the place was craning their necks to watch and I heard a lot of "What the hell was THAT" being exclaimed... :):

Top Bottom