Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I was at my parents' house tonight, working on a few things.

I stepped out back to see if I could remember how to effectively use my magnesium lighter.

Dark fell, and I heard something big moving in the leaves next to the house, so I went to investigate with my flashlight and hunting knife, which was already out.

I walked up on a three foot rattler that didn't appreciate the intrusion.

Things get a little blurry. I dodged and cut the snake as it struck, but missed the mark I was going for. The snake took off, and I remember thinking "screw the knife!" and dropped it, drawing the 1911.

I remember giving thought to the area in which I was about to shoot: a patio was above me, the wooden wall of the house was on my gun side, and I had brick walls in front and in back of me. The open side faced the woods.

I debated quickly about retreating as that near miss of a strike and the wound the snake sustained from my knife were as much luck as skill, probably more so.

Then it passed through my mind that the dogs run in this area as the fence surrounds it, and that made the decision for me.

The snake was back up and rattling. I drew and shot. As I drew, the snake retreated, and I hit the tail.

Entrails spilled out, slowing it down.

I tried to cut its head off again, but it was still a bit too fast.

I herded it into a corner with a stick, and put a bullet through its neck, then aimed real carefully and took off its head. I saw the sights by shining the flashlight over the pistol and onto the snake, illuminating them both.

I remember firing three shots. After I buried the head and tossed the body, I went in to reload. Turns out I expended 5 rounds; I can't account for two of them. I only remember thinking that I needed the gun, and it was in my hand. I do also remember feeling the safety come off, and as I made the decision to shoot, the serrations on the front of the Videki-style trigger.

Unfortunately, I am near deaf. I wasn't scared as much as I was both disgusted and angry, and I didn't experience audio exclusion this time. That first shot HURT my ears, being enclosed like that. It's been about two hours and no improvement. I suspect it'll take three days or so to recover.

Ammo used was 230gn FMJ over 5.2gn of W231, OAL 1.25". It didn't even enter my mind that I was fighting with reloaded ammo. I had paid special attention to these as they are my woods loads, and they have to function.

Been looking on the internet and I can't identify the snake. It had bands like a coral snake, but it was the color of a copperhead. Then of course there were the rattles - I didn't count how many, maybe three.

northerncopper5.jpg

The snake looked exactly like this, only it rattled.

If anyone has a clue as to what kind of rattler this was, I'd be appreciative. It may have been an endangered one that I need to report.

Anyway, that was my excitement for the night. I know there are some here who deal with rattlers and other poisonous snakes on a routine basis; this was my first time as the area of Indiana in which I live doesn't boast many poisonous snakes, and, as far as I can tell, no rattlers are supposed to even be present.

Josh <><

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't see them very often, BUT, the Eastern Diamondback rattler IS indigenous to Indiana. Don't know of ANY banded rattlers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Timber rattlers are in southern IN. I didn't think they were that far north. They are protected, so I wouldn't report it for fear of legal issues.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are plenty of "harmless" snakes that will wag their tails in mimic of a rattlesnake.

If your parents are in the Warsaw area....chances are quite high that it wasn't a rattler. If it WAS... I'd get photographic evidence!!

-J-

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    timber%20rattler.jpg

Banded like this?

It was very much like that, only it had the copperhead coloring. The eyes were like a cat's, and it had fangs.

There are plenty of "harmless" snakes that will wag their tails in mimic of a rattlesnake.

If your parents are in the Warsaw area....chances are quite high that it wasn't a rattler. If it WAS... I'd get photographic evidence!!

-J-

Whatever it was, it's gone. I threw the body near the woods and when I tried to get a pic last night, something had already dragged it off in the two hours between the time I threw it there and the time I decided a pic may be in order. Raccoon tracks were around the area.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    What?! You didn't cook it? How are we to know if it tastes like chicken?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I almost did cook it, but it was late and I wasn't sure I remembered how to skin a snake. Don't remember if you gut it before pulling the skin off, or vice-versa.

It's def on my list of things to do though.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I almost did cook it, but it was late and I wasn't sure I remembered how to skin a snake. Don't remember if you gut it before pulling the skin off, or vice-versa.

It's def on my list of things to do though.

I thought you pretty well gutted it on the first shot there.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Down by the anus. I thought the guts ran the length of the snake though.

Got to enjoy rattlesnake ONCE, and I remember the guy cutting peeling the skin and pulling the guts, which go the length of the snake, out. I think he peeled the skin off first, but don't remember for sure.

Found the closest pic so far:

The Snakes Found in Indiana | Number One site on Indiana Snake Information

It was like this (at the top) almost exactly, but with cat eyes.

Josh <><

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Josh, I think what you saw was a Western Fox Snake. They are easily confused with rattlers as they shake their tails in leaves to simulate a rattler. They will also coil up and strike just like a rattler. The markings are also similar to what you describe.

Top Bottom