• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wanderer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I first purchased my Lebel rifle, it came with several portions of the bolt deeply blued while others were left in the white. Of course, the bolt would have originally been left entirely in the white, and probably brightly polished as per the aesthetic tendencies of the day. If I were to take a guess, I'd say that the bluing was a post-Great War job performed by a French government arsenal, done to prevent rust from developing on the parts of the bolt most frequently touched by greasy, oily human hands. However, nowadays we have wonderful things like Ballistol to protect gun parts from corrosion and I personally think that the Lebel's bolt looks best in its original shiny, non-blued condition. So it was only natural that I'd desire to eventually return my rifle's bolt to said condition.

Today I finally got around to doing the deed. This involved first submerging the offending bolt parts in a dish of Kroger white vinegar for roughly four hours, flushing the vinegar and drying the parts off, then giving them a good once-over with some extra fine steel wool. This was my first time doing something like this, and all things considered, I don't think it turned out too badly. The result wasn't quite as bright and shiny as I hoped, but I must say I'm satisfied for the time being.

Before:
    lebelboltbefore_zps08f43c3e.jpg

After:
    DSCN0949_zpsf2854450.jpg

DSCN0952_zps7150b2a4.jpg

If anyone could give some advice regarding what materials and methods to use for further polishing to make the bolt look brighter and shinier, I would certainly be grateful.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Don't polish it any further. Besides the tendencies of collectors to frown upon such, after a little time in usage, the bolt would have dulled a bit. It matches well as is with the over all condition of the rifle.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks, did not know vinegar would remove bluing like that... Was the bluing done between the wars or after ww II??

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Soaking in vinegar will remove any rust, bluing included, although splotches may be left behind. I've used it many times for car parts. :)

Wanderer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Bloomington
    Don't polish it any further. Besides the tendencies of collectors to frown upon such, after a little time in usage, the bolt would have dulled a bit. It matches well as is with the over all condition of the rifle.
    You're probably right; I was actually leaning towards leaving it as it is now anyway. The parts where bluing was removed now have a very dull, almost pewter-like finish, but I do think they still look better than they did before.

Thanks, did not know vinegar would remove bluing like that... Was the bluing done between the wars or after ww II??
    I'm assuming it was done in the interwar period, as I believe the French military largely took their remaining Lebels out of service after WWII. By that time they had the MAS-36 and some predecessors of the MAS-49, and the 49 itself was only a few years away.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I'm assuming it was done in the interwar period, as I believe the French military largely took their remaining Lebels out of service after WWII. By that time they had the MAS-36 and some predecessors of the MAS-49, and the 49 itself was only a few years away.

Yes you are right about the French army went on to bigger and better guns, But the French were using the older guns in their colonies for years after the war..

French guns are very under appreciated, Some of the guns have beautiful lines and long histories like the pre World War Mausers. The French Berthier Carbine is just a wonderful looking Rifle.

Have you shot the lebel yet???.. Can it take modern 8mm Lebel ammo????,

Wanderer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes you are right about the French army went on to bigger and better guns, But the French were using the older guns in their colonies for years after the war..

French guns are very under appreciated, Some of the guns have beautiful lines and long histories like the pre World War Mausers. The French Berthier Carbine is just a wonderful looking Rifle.

Have you shot the lebel yet???.. Can it take modern 8mm Lebel ammo????,

I concur that French firearms are sorely underrated, and I think it has much to do with the "cheese-eating surrender monkey" stereotype. Their designs are solid and often quite interesting (it was a Frenchman who pioneered direct impingement) and if in good order tend to work quite well, perhaps with the sole exception of the Chauchaut (which is excusable given the context in which it was designed, if you ask me).

I've yet to shoot my Lebel; due to it originally being made in 1891 I'd like to have a competent gunsmith take a look at it before I put any rounds through it. I'm sure it'd shoot just fine, I just figure the old "better safe than sorry" adage applies here. The modern Prvi Partizan stuff is probably okay to shoot in it, if that's what you meant, but due to the pointed bullets and lack of the circular groove in the case bottom around the primer it's definitely advisable to not use it in the rifle's tubular magazine.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I think also the lack of surplus 8mm label ammo out there also put a damper them.. I hear you about the worry about the tubular magazine, and it is a real concern. But do not know how "real" a danger it is...

Top Bottom