• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Whatever happened to this? Did a higher court change it.
    I can't find anything on it after the initial ruling. I'm assuming it probably got appealed, which if it did it's probably still working it's way through the system with the ruling on hold.

Although it's possible that the doj just decided to cut their losses and leave it stand. But even then a decision by a court lower than the SCOTUS rarely effect more than the state or district it's from. Possible especially maybe only with Federal law but still not common.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I can't find anything on it after the initial ruling. I'm assuming it probably got appealed, which if it did it's probably still working it's way through the system with the ruling on hold.

Although it's possible that the doj just decided to cut their losses and leave it stand. But even then a decision by a court lower than the SCOTUS rarely effect more than the state or district it's from. Possible especially maybe only with Federal law but still not common.
    I can think of one who can run this down and tell us. @JAL

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    As soon as my son turned 18 I had him apply for an Indiana LTCH, I bought his first pistol, to carry. He already had a S&W victory .22 target. When he got the license he started carrying, and has pretty much ever since, he goes to IUS, and won’t carry there, I told him unless prohibited there, CARRY! Schools are soft targets. He says he doesn’t want to get in trouble, I told him I don’t want him
    to get dead..

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Okay found a bit more. A stay was granted Aug 30. Appeal was filed Oct 11. And the case was put in abeyance (on hold) pending other cases being decided on Feb 27 of this year.
    Yes -- in abeyance by 4th Circuit Court of Appeals until several cases in the 4th Circuit's docket are decided . . . one of which is Bianchi v. Brown which was GVR'ed back to the 4th Circuit in June 2022 a few days after the Bruen decision instructing the 4th Circuit to "Do the Right Thing" in light of the Bruen Decision. 4th Circuit is dragging its feet with as much delay as possible, and just heard oral arguments in Bianchi again en banc. We know how that one is going to end with the 4th Circuit giving the giant middle finger to SCOTUS -- two years after the SCOTUS GVR. There are several other cases that also must clear 4th Circuit docket. They and several other Circuit Courts are dragging their feet and delaying certain classes of cases out as long as possible hoping the conservative justices will croak so they can be replaced by Biden with more KBJ's who don't care about the text of the Constitution or the historical context of its clauses.

Bottom Line: Don't hold your breath. It will take seemingly forever.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes -- in abeyance by 4th Circuit Court of Appeals until several cases in the 4th Circuit's docket are decided . . . one of which is Bianchi v. Brown which was GVR'ed back to the 4th Circuit in June 2022 a few days after the Bruen decision instructing the 4th Circuit to "Do the Right Thing" in light of the Bruen Decision. 4th Circuit is dragging its feet with as much delay as possible, and just heard oral arguments in Bianchi again en banc. We know how that one is going to end with the 4th Circuit giving the giant middle finger to SCOTUS -- two years after the SCOTUS GVR. There are several other cases that also must clear 4th Circuit docket. They and several other Circuit Courts are dragging their feet and delaying certain classes of cases out as long as possible hoping the conservative justices will croak so they can be replaced by Biden with more KBJ's who don't care about the text of the Constitution or the historical context of its clauses.

Yep. The order for rehearing was done by the court itself, neither of the parties requested one. Bianchi filed with SCOTUS for cert prior to decision about a month and a half ago.

ETA

Last edited:
    Reactions: JAL

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Yep. The order for rehearing was done by the court itself, neither of the parties requested one. Bianchi filed with SCOTUS for cert prior to decision about a month and a half ago.

ETA
    The info about the Writ of Cert on Bianchi and at least three from Illinois bans is posted elsewhere. I believe SCOTUS will pick up at least one and more likely will bundle them together just as they did with the recent 1st Amendment oral arguments held this past week.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So Indiana changed the law back in 2022 so that anyone above the age of 18 can purchase and carry a handgun, However I am aware I cannot walk into a store and purchase from a FFL. Is there any tips someone would give me before going to a private sale to not get denied and have the proper paperwork ready?
    Welcome to INGO. You'll get more than you asked for around here...

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    So Indiana changed the law back in 2022 so that anyone above the age of 18 can purchase and carry a handgun, However I am aware I cannot walk into a store and purchase from a FFL. Is there any tips someone would give me before going to a private sale to not get denied and have the proper paperwork ready?
    Thank you guys for all the answers I appreciate you guys clearing up some of my questions definitely learned some things I didn’t know

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Welcome to INGO. You'll get more than you asked for around here...
    I was hoping that the court ruling on 18-20 buying a handgun was still in effect. If it had been he could have went and bought a handgun using its ruling I think. Unless like was said above it only would have taken effect in that court district.

They aren't mature enough to buy a handgun. But mature enough to join the military, learn how to kill people effectively, and they are mature enough to vote.

Makes no sense.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

Thanks.

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    I was hoping that the court ruling on 18-20 buying a handgun was still in effect. If it had been he could have went and bought a handgun using its ruling I think. Unless like was said above it only would have taken effect in that court district.

They aren't mature enough to buy a handgun. But mature enough to join the military, learn how to kill people effectively, and they are mature enough to vote.

Makes no sense.
    yeah I don’t get the point on restricting handguns only difference is being able to conceal them but I think if someone really wanted to hide a rifle or shotgun they could

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    yeah I don’t get the point on restricting handguns only difference is being able to conceal them but I think if someone really wanted to hide a rifle or shotgun they could
    Mad Moms (the political group),Democrats, Left Wing nut jobs, city people that live in a bubble. There is no point other than to restrict your god given rights to defend yourself and loved ones.
    Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had a dicey meet up with a guy and didnt disclose his age prior. Illinois car plates, no drivers license to show his residence, but also wanted me to sell to his Mom who clearly was over 21.
    I declined, had my wife with me, and she has her LTCH, and I did too.(Wife was backup)
    No thanks to the confusion of selling to another buyer, looked like a straw purchase to me, and the 18 year old deal was confusing. This was back some years, it just didn't feel right.
    Be cautious in your dealings, and always have a way out of the area. FYI.

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Mad Moms (the political group),Democrats, Left Wing nut jobs, city people that live in a bubble. There is no point other than to restrict your god given rights to defend yourself and loved ones.
    Just my 2 cents. YMMV.
    Makes sense always the people who know zero about firearms that are the first to complain lol. Wonder how they’d like people to start walking around with rifles instead of handguns. I’m sure they’d love that

Reactions: Mij

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Had a dicey meet up with a guy and didnt disclose his age prior. Illinois car plates, no drivers license to show his residence, but also wanted me to sell to his Mom who clearly was over 21.
    I declined, had my wife with me, and she has her LTCH, and I did too.(Wife was backup)
    No thanks to the confusion of selling to another buyer, looked like a straw purchase to me, and the 18 year old deal was confusing. This was back some years, it just didn't feel right.
    Be cautious in your dealings, and always have a way out of the area. FYI.
    Yeah kinda nerve racking showing up to a meet with someone you know has a firearm while you have cash. Especially since this is gonna be my first handgun purchase I’m just trying to find out what’s best. Do you think maybe a police station would be a good place to meet?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Makes no sense.
    Multiple things with this issue: the BS Communities Act/vague language on "enhanced background checks" for 18-20 year olds was taken by the FBI to delay every NICS check for 18-20 year olds.

Top Bottom