• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here is the Monark 1648 flat bottom I found on CL. I'm starting to modify this boat, and thought I'd share my progress on here. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this build, and need to get some things done before I go on vacation. I am heading on a vacation to MI in a month, and want to take the boat with me. I'm sure things will come up while fishing that I will want to change, modify, etc. from my original plan.

The boat came with two trolling motors, trailer, etc., and really was ready to fish, with the exception of deep cycle batteries. The boat already had a front deck, floor, and the transom was completely redone within the last 6 months and hadn't even been in the water. The deck and floor were made out of wood, and done correctly, but I just couldn't leave it alone.
    icon_biggrin.gif
    He gave me five, 4' X 8' X 1/8" sheets of composite sandwiched between aluminum to use.

Here are some pics when I got it home:

As you can see, I could have just bought two batteries, and been on my way to the lake. Since I don't have an outboard yet, I wanted to lighten up the decking, floor, etc. so that my two trolling motors would be able to push me around a little faster. So, I decided to take out the wood to see what I was working with.

The front factory deck is pretty beat up, but it shouldn't matter, since I will be decking over it. I have thought about taking it out, re-bracing it with aluminum stock, but I've heard some horror stories about doing that. It would give me more storage room, but I don't want my boat to fall apart. Has anyone done this before and been successful?

I then performed a leak test. I filled it up with about 3" of water, let is sit overnight, and came out to find the boat does not leak! The previous owner told me that, but for my peace of mind, I wanted to know for sure. Actually, there was one little spot that leaked about the diameter of a grapefruit overnight. I'm not worried about that small of a leak.

After I drained all the water out, I started looking into the bench seating. I took the seat bases off to find that the foam was soaked, and holding water.

Well, that ain't going to fly, so I took out the middle bench first. I have never taken rivets out, but found it to be not so bad. Here is a pic showing the inside foam from the middle seat.

I then pressure washed the boat, and that's where I'm at now.

I plan on taking out the rear seat, to get the wet foam out. I'll put the rear seat back in, but not sure about the middle. I know there are two sides to that argument, but who knows?

Now, my tentative plans for the boat are to make it into a fly fishing river boat. I like the idea of a "flats" style boat, though this will never see salt. If you know fly fishing, your standing line always finds something to wrap around and get tangled, often when you are hooked up. Anyway, I'm thinking large front casting deck with a trolling motor and a rear casting deck for a second person. Not sure about the outboard, if I want tiller or console. I know console adds obstacles to get my line hung up on, but I like the idea of having a steering wheel. As for seats, my current thought is to add the bases under the decking, with the seats/posts in storage bins under the deck. That way, I won't trip over/get my line caught on the bases, but will have the option if I get tired, or if someone would rather sit. I plan on using aluminum stock/angle to frame up the decks, and the aluminum/composite sheets for the decking.

I really want to get at least the front deck and flooring in before my trip, so I can use the boat. So, I guess I will be ordering some aluminum tubing, rivets, and screws in the next few days and get started.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    looks like you have some fun ahead of you. Check out tinboats.net for lots of mods and ideas.

I have a deep-V that I plan on re-doing sometime down the road.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looks good. I love these threads, I often follow them in the duck hunting forums. Good Luck!!

Thanks.

looks like you have some fun ahead of you. Check out tinboats.net for lots of mods and ideas.

I have a deep-V that I plan on re-doing sometime down the road.

Yep, I'm a member over there too. I have been doing a lot of reading over there getting ideas for the last few months. This thread is posted over there as well, I just thought I'd post here too.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Made a little progress last evening. Between working and a new baby boy, my time is very limited. I am lucky to get 30 minutes of work done every few days. Hopefully, I will get some done this weekend. Yesterday I removed the rear seat and foam. I then pressure washed the boat for the second time, getting most of the dirt/crud out. It still needs another good wash, then I should be good. I also washed the interior of the seats where the foam was. They will need to be washed at least one more time.

I've also done a lot of brainstorming while trying to get my son back to sleep in the middle of the night. I keep thinking of different hatch types and layouts, but still cannot make up my mind.

There was approximately 7 cubic feet of foam in the seats, so that will be my minimum goal of replacement. I figure it will take a 4' X 8' X 2" and 4' X 8' X 1" of foam to get to 8 cubic feet. I will use the 2" between the ribs on the floor, and the 1" in the rear seat. I have also started sourcing my aluminum for the framing...dang that stuff is getting expensive! At my local Lowes it is $25 for 8 feet of 1" angle. I need to find a better source. I will be checking my local metal shops as well as trying to find some recycling/scrap centers.

In the meantime, I will (hopefully) get my foam this weekend. My plan for the weekend includes cleaning up the bare aluminum that was hidden by the seats with a wire wheel or grinder. Then I will shoot it with some primer and paint. I also want to cut my foam, and if all goes well, start making a template for the floor and cutting the ACM panels.

I'm still undecided on how big I want my front deck. I'm thinking by laying out the floor in the middle, it will give me a better idea of the area I'm working with. I'm also having trouble coming up with a plan for the "level" of the deck. Anyway, thanks for looking, and since you all like pics, here is where the boat stands now.

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    I redid a 16 ft lowe years ago then sold it to buy a new fiberglass boat. I sure miss that boat. mine was setup to bass fish so might be a little different needs. couple things I learned that might help you. make your front deck the height of you middle bench seat not the same as the font deck. if you go that high the boat is a little tippy. I made doors on the front deck to store rods and stuff under it. I put a hatch and a liner in the middle seat to use as my livewell .
    for the back deck I ran a from the front of the back seat to the transom and stored my batteries and gas tank there. I put a control box for light, depth finder on the right side. I had a 40 hp and a 9.9 hp tiller handle motor for different lakes. I took it everywhere ie kentucky, barkley, dale hollow, ohio river, never felt scared in the boat but I also knwe its limitations
    good luck
    fish

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    If you are needing Aluminum check out Warner steel on east Raymond street. He will cut anything you are looking for and just charges for product. Most places charge per cut also. he is a good guy to deal with and his pricing is hard to beat.

dusty711

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    New Albany on the river
    Put some wood back in it! I have a 15 footer and all the wood was rotten and waterlogged, took it all out and now the boat is so light it blows all over the place. Going to have to refloor and deck it to add some weight. Yours looks wide enough to be a good stable platform to fish from. I am going to sell my fish and ski and keep the tin boat, just have more fun in it. Good luck....it will all work out and you will have a good boat.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I'm Watching! Great project so far. I bought an old Grumman a few years ago. The fun times are Priceless. When you get your fasteners be sure to use Stainless Steel, no worries about rust. :patriot:

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I redid a 16 ft lowe years ago then sold it to buy a new fiberglass boat. I sure miss that boat. mine was setup to bass fish so might be a little different needs. couple things I learned that might help you. make your front deck the height of you middle bench seat not the same as the font deck. if you go that high the boat is a little tippy. I made doors on the front deck to store rods and stuff under it. I put a hatch and a liner in the middle seat to use as my livewell .
    for the back deck I ran a from the front of the back seat to the transom and stored my batteries and gas tank there. I put a control box for light, depth finder on the right side. I had a 40 hp and a 9.9 hp tiller handle motor for different lakes. I took it everywhere ie kentucky, barkley, dale hollow, ohio river, never felt scared in the boat but I also knwe its limitations
    good luck
    fish

Nice. How fast did your boat go with the outboards? Mine is mainly going to be a river boat, but I will take it out on some smaller lakes.

If you are needing Aluminum check out Warner steel on east Raymond street. He will cut anything you are looking for and just charges for product. Most places charge per cut also. he is a good guy to deal with and his pricing is hard to beat.

Thanks for the recommendation! I called on Saturday, and his prices are great. He also sells "drops" by the pound ($2 for aluminum). I'm hoping when I go, he'll have some drops that I can pick up for 50% less than his regular tubing.

looks good.i wouls replace all the foam also.

Thanks, and done.

Put some wood back in it! I have a 15 footer and all the wood was rotten and waterlogged, took it all out and now the boat is so light it blows all over the place. Going to have to refloor and deck it to add some weight. Yours looks wide enough to be a good stable platform to fish from. I am going to sell my fish and ski and keep the tin boat, just have more fun in it. Good luck....it will all work out and you will have a good boat.

I'm trying to keep this as light as possible, as I want a really shallow draft for the skinny water in the rivers. I also won't have to re-do it every few years like I would have to with wood. Right now, I don't have an outboard (hopefully pick one up this fall), so weight is key. I will have a bow and transom mounted trolling motors that will have to push me around for the time being.

I'm Watching! Great project so far. I bought an old Grumman a few years ago. The fun times are Priceless. When you get your fasteners be sure to use Stainless Steel, no worries about rust. :patriot:

Thanks. Yes, I will be using aluminum rivets and using aluminum angle to make my brackets, so no worries of rust here.

looking good so far!

Thanks.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I got quite a bit of work done this weekend, all things considered. I cleaned up the bare aluminum where the bench seats were with a wire wheel. Washed out the entire boat again with a power washer. Got my foam for my floor cut and put into place. I still have some more fine tuning for it to sit completely flat against the ribs. Some of the dings on the bottom are causing a couple of the panels to rock, but I should have that done today. I also primed the exposed aluminum with two coats. I have to wait 48 hours to put the top coat on, but it turned out well, I think. I also measured, re-measured, and measured again the size of my deck and layout, so I can figure out how much aluminum tube to buy. I also sourced my aluminum (thanks Simon), and will be getting my tube sometime this week (hopefully) after I calculate how much I need.

My goals for this week are to finish the foam (flush fit the floor and install in my rear seat), top coat the primed aluminum, get aluminum tubing and frame the front deck, get the flooring and decking cut to size. I also want to get guide-ons for my trailer done. This is a pretty big "wish list" for the week, but hopefully I will be able to get it done. I also need to pick up a rivet tool (I'm hoping my FIL has a pneumatic one, or my hands will definitely be sore).

I essentially have three weeks to get this project done. I'm hoping to have the boat floating in two weeks, that will give me a week to run electric and troubleshoot any other unforeseen problems. Thanks for looking.

Now, for the part everyone wants to see:

The blue tape is where my decks will be.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    For those boaters looking for an onboard charger, I found a deal on Amazon last night. I've been waiting for the NOCO Genius chargers to go on sale, and they finally did. These chargers get nothing but great reviews, so that is why I've been wanting one. Anyway, the chargers are on sale. I've been looking at a two bank and the price has been around $150 for a few months. I picked up the three bank for $118 with free shipping. Just thought I'd pass along the deal.

Amazon.com: NOCO Genius GEN3 12V+12V+12V 3-Bank 30 Amp Smart On-Board Waterproof Battery Charger: Automotive

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I secured my aluminum tube yesterday. I bought ~75' of 1" square tube for $2/ft. I also bought some angle that I will make into brackets. I am thinking I'll at least get the front deck done with some left over for the rear. I started to lay out the tube to get an overall feel of how it's going to go together. When I was laying the "stringers" from the bow, I noticed a little problem. Since my front factory deck is kind of beat up, and angled, I'm having a hard time coming up with a plan to get them mounted. I have a plan that I think will work, but if any of you can let me know how you'd do it, it will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get other eyes on it, maybe the solution is simple and I just don't see it. Thanks.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That looks like a really neat project, although I will admit that the thread title had me thinking more of something like this:

period-actors-rowboat-colonial-times-14375884.jpg

Top Bottom