• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Recently came across and acquired via trade a 10/22 finger groove. In the picture I saw before actually getting eyes on I notice no barrel band so assumed sporter or target.

Once I got it home it appears to be a late 60’s finger groove sporter. Don’t know what I have so any advice would be nice. (Let me know what pics will help).

I stripped/cleaned to try and get the cigarette smell out, was missing bolt buffer (if they came with them) so that was replaced.

Leather Sears and Co. bag was included. (Also smoke smell filled).

Attachments

• 5D5ED01F-9A8F-4DD0-AC34-63147F5270B4.jpeg
      5D5ED01F-9A8F-4DD0-AC34-63147F5270B4.jpeg
      1,000.5 KB · Views: 95

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    The finger groove is one of the hardest variations of the 10/22 to still find intact. The one you found from the pic appears to be completely original. The one thing that is usually missing is the original mag. (Yes there are variation) That firearm should have a slot head screw in the side instead of an Allen head and a black follower. You can go to Rugers website to see what year it was manufactured. Should be 66-67 to around 71

I have 1 but they are hard to come by

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    @Hookeye seems to be the resident INGO expert on 10/22 finger grooves ... hopefully he'll chime in and let you know exactly what you have.

If you're inclined, please let us know how much this rifle set you back. It's a beauty and I'd like to know how many pennies I need to start saving.

As far as the smoke smell in the rifle, keep cleaning it, and the smell should eventually disappear.

The leather case, however, may be a goner.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Nice rifle.

Do some research on using ozone to remove the smoke smell. Car dealers use ozone generators. If I remember correctly, they make some kind of ozone "bomb" that you can use instead of buying an ozone generator.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    So instead of asking a dumb question here I used DDG to find out about this model. After 3 pages of for sale ads and questions about identifying them I gave up. So what are the special things about this model that make it so sought after? Is it better or just different?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Nice rifle.

Do some research on using ozone to remove the smoke smell. Car dealers use ozone generators. If I remember correctly, they make some kind of ozone "bomb" that you can use instead of buying an ozone generator.
    Meh, why not just soak it in Hoppes no. 9? That ought to get rid of the smoke smell... :):

Last edited:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    So instead of asking a dumb question here I used DDG to find out about this model. After 3 pages of for sale ads and questions about identifying them I gave up. So what are the special things about this model that make it so sought after? Is it better or just different?
    The walnut stock is unique and not very many were made. The Hogue stock was fashioned after it. They also used a different type of sling swivel

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As already mentioned, 66 to 71, walnut and better feeling stock

Serial number lookup for yr.

Factory checkering was a 20 dollar option back then. Approx 535 of them done.
    To verify have to send in for factory letter.

Canadian Centennial was checkered but had medallion in stock. Dunno how many of those made.

Top Bottom