• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    BGF for your recent WTHR Interview.

I would like to display my displeasure with the recent interview that was conducted at your Shop. Shame on you for it. Your personal opinions flavored this piece to almost a nauseous level. Very reminiscent of the old Don's Guns Interviews of times past...

I know full well if almost any of us walked into your shop to purchase 6,000 rounds of 5.56 you would trip over yourselves helping us out to our vehicles. Yet you make it sound like only a lunatic, or criminal would want to have that large of a purchase.

You also jump on your soapbox against online merchants. If you want our business from them, then remain competitive.

Way to take away from what had up till now been a damn good on air prescience in the State, with regards to Firearms Ownership.

Some online shops allow easy ammunition buys - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Care to respond?!
    jeremy

Last edited:

abnk

Master
    Mar 25, 2008
    What made you nauseus? He should reserve the right to decline service to anyone for any reason. Was the interview perhaps re-edited?

dave29

Master
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I may have missed something in the video, but I did not think his response was that bad. He just basically said that if any of the shop employees feel as something is amiss regarding the buyer, that they can shut down the transaction immediately.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I know full well if almost any of us walked into your shop to purchase 6,000 rounds of 5.56 you would trip over yourselves helping us out to our vehicles. Yet you make it sound like only a lunatic, or criminal would want to have that large of a purchase.
    Curious.
    OK, I'm in for the answer...

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Apr 12, 2012
    Did you watch the video? He said nothing about the amount of ammo.

Right...it was in the text of the story...

In Indiana, to buy any type of ammunition, you have to be 18 years old. If you are buying in large quantities and walk into a gun store, you better have your story straight, according to the owner of Beech Grove Firearms Greg Burge.

"Here at this store, and I would assume at others, if our sales clerks or any of us detected something is afoot here that's not right, everybody has the right to stop the sale immediately," Burge said.

I bought 4k rounds from another local vendor and I didn't have to provide any type of story...

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I just watched the news story and didn't arrive at the same conclusions as the OP.

I did pick up on some of the sensationalist phrasing from the two news reporters.

The main point I got from Beech Grove Firearms was their ability to assess the buyer to see if there were any concerns compared to the nearly total lack of controls for on-line sales (such as age restrictions).

I certanily wouldn't compare the BGF owner in any way to the owner of Don's Guns. That assertion would smack of sensationalism of its own sort.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Jan 13, 2011
    Based on reading that story, BGF's statement could gave very easily been taken out context. We all know the media isnt above "spin." I like the fact that BGFs is willing to cancel a transaction if they thing something is "afoot," and that all they stated, nothing more.

Hopefully J, you just caught caught drinking the media's kool-aid

indyjoe

Master
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I didn't see much wrong with it. The news will always edit to try and reinforce the story they are trying to sell. We talk time and time about how businesses have the right to deny service to anyone not protected by federal regs (race, sex, etc.)

I have no problem with a shop denying sale to someone who seems hinky. Seems prudent.

When they say this guy had 6000 rounds of ammo. Surely that wasn't on his person? That is 120 lbs of 5.56. So what does it matter that someone can come into a gun shop and buy 6k rounds. 1k rounds is a common case size. This is more than enough to use in a crazy shooting like this and would not be suspicious at all.

That is the problem with trying to identify ill use from something that has real uses. 0.0001% of the 5.56 ammo purchased in gun shops is probably used for bad uses. This means that stopping things at the point of sale is virtually impossible.

The only place that these events can be stopped is at the point of attack. The fact that it was against CO law to carry in a location that was posted is 10,000 times more of an issue than any BS about getting ammo.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I would like to display my displeasure with the recent interview that was conducted at your Shop. Shame on you for it. Your personal opinions flavored this piece to almost a nauseous level. Very reminiscent of the old Don's Guns Interviews of times past...

You also jump on your soapbox against online merchants. If you want our business from them, then remain competitive.

Way to take away from what had up till now been a damn good on air prescience in the State, with regards to Firearms Ownership.

Some online shops allow easy ammunition buys - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Care to respond?!
    jeremy

Am I not seeing the same interview? All he says is that if any employee feels that they are uncomfortable , they have the right to refuse the sale. The only other thing he says is " I have the ability to ask questions"

I don't see the basis for such intense scrutiny. What was said the makes you feel that a lunatic or criminal would only make that large of purchase?

Perhaps the version showing now has been edited but I can't read that much between the lines of what is presented.

Edit: Wow took too long to post my response as many of these same things have been said already.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Nov 23, 2008
    I agree with the statement made:

"Here at this store, and I would assume at others, if our sales clerks or any of us detected something is afoot here that's not right, everybody has the right to stop the sale immediately,"

I find nothing wrong with that, just common sense. For example if some clown showed up in a full Batman costume and said hey I need 10,000 rounds of ammo I'm going to make everyone pay. I would like to believe that the gun shop would have reservations about selling it to him. Not just ring their hands in glee and start stacking up the ammo for the guy.

Good on you BGF... +1 to BGF

netsecurity

Shooter
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I think he is talking about what happened at that Colorado gun range. The owner of the range wasn't going to let JH on the range because something didn't seem right about his voice mail message. If a guy with painted red hair came into BGF acting weird, they likewise may refuse selling to him. I think though, if he asked to buy 6,000 rounds of 5.56, that they would smile like Jeremy said. So it doesn't matter how good your intentions are, money talks. In that way, online vs LGS doesn't matter. If BGF refused the sale, someone else would take his $2,000.

NOTE that the shooter didn't need this much ammo, so his ammo purchase was IRRELEVANT. Usually only competitive shooters, preppers, or trainers/trainees purchase bulk like this. JH probably shot far less than 100 5.56 rounds.

Top Bottom