• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We're looking into getting a few pieces and I've heard that some are better than others.

I don't want to buy crap. What should I avoid? What would you recommend?

Please and thank you.

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    IIRC, Lodge is the only remaining US manufacturer of cast iron cookware. I have a couple pieces of their stuff and one not. They are night and day in quality and usability. Lodge is the best out there, IMHO.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    I second what kharb says if you are buying new get Lodge cast iron. Also you can find some old cast iron cookware at garage sales or ?. Look for Griswold skillets they are widely believed to be the best. If you find an old rusty skillet put in a good fire until it is red hot and let it cool slowly. It will be like new and ready for seasoning.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    Lodge! Do not waste your money on the cheep junk. Almost all my cookware is Lodge. Something like 10 pieces now. Got my first cast iron for camping. Loved it so much I started switching to all cast iron.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    I just bought a lodge skillet after reading a lot of websites and forums about cast iron. i would recommend looking for an older skillet that is not a lodge logic skillet. the problems with the lodge skillets is that the cooking surface is incredibly rough with a lot of pitting and bumps. It makes it hard to season it because whenever you cook with it, food gets stuck in these pits and it requires cleaning. i'd recommend looking on ebay or at some garage sales for an older non lodge logic skillet.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The older the better.

I have one Lodge piece, the rest of it is older than me. The Lodge stuff is too rough on the surface. It takes a long time and a lot of use to get that nice super smooth surface.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    +1 on trying to pick up some old stuff. Go to garage sales, auctions, etc. The old stuff is usually better and sometimes you can get it for a small percentage of what they new stuff costs.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, everyone has pretty much said the same that I would. Lodge is the one that I have the most of. They make a nice piece of iron, but it does take a few years to get it seasoned and smooth. If you have the time and inclination, I'd suggest hitting up an auction or flea market and trying to find some Griswold or Wagner pieces. They are the best that have ever been made and they do show up, every now and again. Yeah they're antiques, but they're still good for daily use. You can even find some on ebay and other sites dedicated to them.
    I'd also suggest you get yourself a coated cast iron pot. A Le Creuset, or one of the nice knock offs. They're indispensable for stove top and oven cooking. They'll do everything from braising to stews, or baking. Well worth the cost.

http://griswoldskillets.com/

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Lodge is the best, the most expensive, and the most durable. Can't go wrong with Lodge. Stay away from chinese made cast iron, it's got a lot of other stuff in it that you don't want to eat...but what do you expect from Godless, commie, baby killing, heathens. Flea markets, garage sales, estate sales especially...good luck.

rmoore911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    SE Indy
    i have to agree about the lodge stuff of having a rough surface when new, but a proper good first seasoning should take care of that. if you had sticking issues then, you were more than likely missing some coverage when you preseasoned the pan. that or like alot of people, they read that some of the pans come preseasoned, and they don't bother to go through the seasoning process themselves before they cook with it.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    what's been said Lodge is the only US manufacturer left I have a few peices and love them. with un-coated cast iron once it's seasoned NEVER wash it in soapy water. just turn the heat on until the pan just starts to smoke the pour in a few table spoons of table salt. then scrub with a paper towel until all the stuck on bits are are gone. then wipe out the salt and wipe with a light amount of vegetable oil while still hot.

If you wash it in water the oil will come out of the pours in the metal and food will stick.

Le Creuset is french enameled cast iron is great stuff. I am slowly switching all my stainless cookware to it. several companies make it now but it's not cheap.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I guess I lucked out. Seven years ago my wife threw out my cast iron skillet during her spring cleaning, marriage survived this incident. I went to Kmart and grabbed an iron skillet, going camping that weekend and was desperate. Paid $7.00 for it and it is just as good as my old one.

rmoore911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    SE Indy
    Le Creuset is french enameled cast iron is great stuff. I am slowly switching all my stainless cookware to it. several companies make it now but it's not cheap.

I still need to get me a 5 qt Le Creuset dutch oven. They are indeed quite pricey, but for how long that will last you, I think they are well worth the price.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Many thanks for the replies. As garage sale season is approaching, I shall hold off on purchasing new.

I hate garage sales. My neighbors only have junk.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you find an old rusty skillet put in a good fire until it is red hot and let it cool slowly. It will be like new and ready for seasoning.
    Bad advice, IMHO. You risking cracking it if it's not heated very slowly and evenly.

There are much better, and much less risky ways of clean up old cast iron. I just don't see why a person would want to take that risk... :twocents:

First of all, very rarely is cast iron so bad that you have to completely clean the entire thing up. Most of what I've ever seen just had spot rust here and there. Why ruin the seasoning for a few spots. Just clean up the rust, then re-season it. If there ever is some that needs cleaned up really bad, find somebody with a bead-blaster, that will make the skillet look brand new, then you can start seasoning it from scratch.

On what cast iron to buy definitely look for old stuff. Griswold and Wagner Ware were two of the better companies. I believe there were others but they are more rare, and have much more collector value. If you find a collector piece I would sell it on ebay and keep trying to find a good "user" piece. I've got all my cast iron at garage sales and rummage sales for $2 or less each except my lodge camp dutch oven (tough to find old camp dutch ovens).

If you can't find used, or don't have the time and you're buying new there is only one option IMHO, get lodge. Then, before ever using it, take a palm sander and smooth out the rough surface in the bottom. Then season it.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    i was given a trick years ago by an old timer on how to season new cast iron. His advice was to throw a pound of bacon in the skillet and cook it until it's black, hard and way to nasty to eat. Next while the skillet is still hot discard the first bacon and throw in another pound and cook it until it's just barely able to be eaten. Scrub out the left of crap in the skillet, oil it up then you're good to go. I have used this method on all my new unseasoned cast iron and have always been pleased with the results.

Top Bottom