• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I found this puppy in my basement. 2" leg-span. I thought it was a mouse at first. What is it?

IMG_1862.jpg

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    That is a s.quishasquicklyaspossibleis otherwise known as the "splattered all over the bottom of your shoe" spider.

On a more serious note, it looks to be a species of "Wolf" spider, they are usually not very aggressive but if they do happen to bite you or one of your kids their venom isn't any worse than say a bee-sting.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I don't know of anybody who has died from a wolf spider bite, that being said, I 'd not be taking any chances on being the first.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Agreed, pretty sure these are a type of wolf spiders. We get them all over our house, garage, front porch, etc. too. Especially this time of year when all the pests decide that they want to move into the house. I use Ortho Home Defense MAX, all around the inside and outside perimeter of the house usually 2-3 times a year and it seems to cut back on the population quiet a bit.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I asked the "bug guy" here at work.

He concurs that it's most likely a wolf spider of some kind.

Although, it MIGHT be a "fishing spider". Do you live near a creek/stream/retention pond?

If there's a funnel-shaped web somewhere in your basement, it also might be a funnel weaver.

Fun stuff, arachnids. :)

-J-

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    As a licensed Applicator (through Purdue University Entomology)(fancy name for Bug Killer) this is a wolf spider, non-poisonous, great for taking out large insects though!

Top Bottom