• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Below is the release ACT's competition shooting class to be held 25 Oct.

We are offering INGO forum members a $20 discount on this class.

The lead lead instructor will be Aron Bright (Coach) and he will be assisted by John Viray (obijohn).

On October 25th, Adaptive Consulting & Training will be holding an intro to competitive shooting class at our satellite range near Greencastle, IN. The class will concentrate on the rules and basic “how to’s” of USPSA/IPSC style competition. The duration will be 7 to 8 hours starting at 9am with a hot dog lunch provided. How this type of competitive shooting relates to defensive shooting will also be discussed. There are currently 6 places left in the class. As a student you will need a serviceable handgun, 3 or more magazines, a holster that covers the trigger and allows for one handed holstering, magazine carriers and 250 to 300 rounds of ammunition. And, of course, bring a desire to become a better all around shooter. The cost will be $95.

Post here in this thread and/or PM me for more information.

30 Aug-- We currently have 5 list members (Scutter1, Cwood, ATM, bwframe, AllenM) and 3 non members signed up for the class. there are currently 4 more slots. i'm a bit tied up with some family issues, so may be off the grid for a few days. i'll be sending out more detailed information for the class by the end of the week. in the mean time, feel free to ask coach or rhino any questions you may have.
    thanks,
    j

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So no limtied holster for this class? I would like to take the class, but have been shooting limited most of the year.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your limited holster will be okay for the class. All USPSA holsters must cover the trigger guard and any race holster (e.g. Safariland 012, CR Speed) allow one-handed holstering.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Any strong side, belt level holster that covers the trigger guard, allows one-handed reholstering, and will hold the gun securely while you move around the range is acceptable. If someone needs a holster, I recommend getting one of the inexpensive injection molded belt holsters like the injection molded Blade-Tech, Uncle Mike's Kydex, and similar products from Galco and Bianchi. Bianchi Accumold should work fine too, since even though it's nylon, it is stiff enough due to the foam reinforcement. Mag carriers along the same lines are recommended.

I'd also recommend a good, stiff belt. The best holster in the world is useless with an inadequate belt. If you need one and you're on a budget, Uncle Mike's makes a serviceable "instructor's belt" with a polymer liner to add stiffness that you can get for $20-$30.

If you have electronic hearing protection, it would be of great value to you since you'll be able to hear range commands easily. For the same reason, anyone who "double plugs" (i.e. wears earplugs under their earmuffs) may not be able to hear range commands, which is a safety issue, so I strongly suggest not wearing both during the class.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions here or in a private message to Coach, Obijohn, or me.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your limited holster will be okay for the class. All USPSA holsters must cover the trigger guard and any race holster (e.g. Safariland 012, CR Speed) allow one-handed holstering.

the limited gear is fine. have you been classified by USPSA yet? we're gearing the class to entry level/D class shooters. a follow up class is just about finished. i don't want discourage you from taking the class, but maybe the mini league would work better for you. or better yet, do both.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Just so I get this right. This class is being geared for entry level shooter/D class shooter?

Thought about taking the class to learn something new and support the good members of the forum.

Thanks
    Matt

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Just so I get this right. This class is being geared for entry level shooter/D class shooter?

Thought about taking the class to learn something new and support the good members of the forum.

Thanks
    Matt

that's correct. the mini league is for a shooter with several matches under their belt.
    you are welcome to join us, i'm sure that you'll find the class beneficial.

just send me a pm, and i'll get you set up for either one.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I could use some suggestions on a site that sells the right syle mag carriers and belt.
    I have a good holster and I have been looking online for this but hate buying something from a picture when I am not sure what I need.
    I will be using a single stack pistol. How many mag carriers should I have?
    Thanks

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I could use some suggestions on a site that sells the right syle mag carriers and belt.
    I have a good holster and I have been looking online for this but hate buying something from a picture when I am not sure what I need.
    I will be using a single stack pistol. How many mag carriers should I have?
    Thanks

I run Production with 4 mags on my belt. That is the recommended absolute minimum for any class. For Single Stack, you'll probably want at least 5, maybe 6 if possible. Check out Bladetech gear. I use the injection molded Bladetech DOH holster and two of their double mag pouches. It's good stuff for the money.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For a belt, I recommend Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC | Home of the Titanium Instructor Belt instructor's belt with the polymer liner to make it stiffer. You can get a similar, less expensive belt from Uncle Mike's at a variety of online retailers (look for their "instructor's belt").

notasccrmom is on the money with the most cost effective holster and mag pouches. The injection molded gear at Blade Tech holsters, knives and tactical gear for military, law enforcement, shooting competition and hunting. is good stuff and not expensive. They only make it for a limited number of guns and only for righties too.

An alternative is the Uncle Mike's Kydex, which has a wider variety of guns they fit and they also make left-handed holsters.

The mag carriers above are good for both carry and competition. info@indygunracers.com is a good source. If you want competition specific gear, I recommend Welcome to Shooters Connection.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OK, while we're discussing;
    I intended to use my Raven Concealment Systems holster OWB. I have always carried with it IWB, but I have the OWB mounts. Is this gonna be suitable or should I look at others?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Your Raven holster will be fine! Anything that covers the trigger guard and allows one-handed reholstering will do, but your Raven is a good holster.

The OWB is the way to go for this, though. You'll be doing a lot of draws/presentations from the holster, and at some point, your shirt will find it's way into the path of your gun as you are reholstering, especially if you get sweaty. For that reason, I think OWB holsters are a better choice for this. You can wear it in the same position that you put it when you carry IWB, so it won't be a big change.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    thanks, rhino, for fielding these questions. i would like to add that, yes, you should show up for the class with the minimum gear, but i don't recommend you spending a lot of money on competition specific gear until you try the game. if you are have specific gear issues, pm me and we'll try to work something out. your street gear will likely do fine, though you will likely want to be able to carry more magazines/speedloaders than you would normally. w9zeb shot a match at wabash valley with his mags in his pockets, loops on his pants, everywhere and he did just fine. i do, however think that he has learned that a bit more gear may be in order.
    any class you may take, whether it is one of ours or elsewhere, you'll want lot's of magazines, if for no other reason than to avoid loading mags while you might be working on something else.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If anyone is interested, I can get the injection molded Blackhawk CQC holsters with carbon fiber finish like these - BLACKHAWK !  BlackHawk CQC Level 1 Holster - Carbon Fiber Finish

I can also get Uncle Mikes, Fobus, Safariland and Galco holsters and magazine holders. I should be able to have these in plenty of time for this class and match. Please PM me for details.

PS - I will be placing a large order with David Elderton, maker of the fantastic Ky-Tac kydex holsters and magazine holsters. I'm looking to do this within the next week or so, if there is something you're interested in, please PM or email me at: info@indygunracers.com

Top Bottom