• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This weekend I had the pleasure of Hosting and assisting Randy Harris of Suarez International with Low Light Gunfighting and The Fundamentals of Hand to Hand Combatives. These classes were held at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester, IN. This is where I have most of my SI classes in Indiana. One of the students in both classes was our own INGO celebrity esrice.

This is not an AAR of the class, nor is it a butt kissing post. What I want to talk about is the ideal student and how I found Evan to be just that. What is the ideal student you might ask? Well it can vary, but lets start at the beginning. This was listed as an advanced class. In this case advanced relates to a lot of movement while shooting , in the dark. It should go without saying that this is not something you can just start out doing without having a little experience in safety and gunhandling. Many people like to think they are a bit further along the learning chain then they really are. This being the case, the instructor has to make some observations early on.

So, what did I observe in Evan's case? Well, the first thing I look for is how someone handles their weapon. Do they do it with confidence and efficiency. Even if it is not exactly the way you teach it, do they keep the gun pointed downrange and run the gun forcefully. It can become clear in short order how serious someone is about the subject and how much practice and work they put in, by how their gunhandling is. Evan (as well as a couple of other students) immediately impressed me with the crisp, safe, and postive manner they manipulated their guns. Loading and unloading, drawing, coming into ready positions, chamber checking, clearing malfunctions. All of these things can be practiced very easily and readily show the competency of a gunman, (or woman).

What else? Well another big thing is, are they willing to learn. Did this person set aside their preconceived opinions, and/or desire to show why what they already know is superior to what you are going to show them? Believe it or not, that happens. Does the student pay attention and follow along instead of trying to become the center of attention? Are they willing to try different things you show them, or do they stubbornly refuse to give it an effort. These are all big things. There are small things as well. Like do they make an effort to get their mags loaded and get back up on the line to be ready to roll? Do they get along well with the other students? You can all probably think of more things if you have been to a class or two.

It pleases me to say Evan passed all of these things with flying colors. Even if a student doesn't shoot great (Evan did), the fact that they can do all of these other things is a pretty good indicator that they are going to learn a lot in the class, if the teacher is up to the task. Can everyone be the perfect student? Maybe not, but I think the harder you try, the more you will get out of the class.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Great post, and you are right about what makes the good student. There are always other things, and some variations, but you hit the nail pretty well on the head with it. Be willing to learn, get along with the other students (if you are getting it and someone else isnt, helping them out is always GREAT too), as well as grasp of the concepts. From what I have seen of the mods, and I have met a couple at the NWI meet and shoots, was surprising as this. They all seemed to be very likable people and really loved shooting and getting to learn more about it. Has been great to talk to the 3 or 4 that i had meet, and was impressed that they didnt eat any babies in front of the rest of us (which we know some people think that they do). I hope that you were able to score some INGO swag, or at least made sure some was left behind after the class for the instructor

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Evan is a great student and a great shooter.

He's so great ... :blahblah:

We get it, he's a mod and you're scared! :D

:mods:

Send me your honest opinion via PM. ;)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Evan is a great student and a great shooter.

He's so great ... :blahblah:

We get it, he's a mod and you're scared! :D

:mods:

Send me your honest opinion via PM. ;)

Haha! Actually its like a moderator kabal. (I am a moderator on a different site) There were and always are other good students as well. You just probably wouldn't know them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While we are on the subject of Evan being a mod, I would like to point out that I have a great deal of appreciation for the fact that he fills that responsibility as a leader rather than as a despot. It says much about his character. This comes from the same basic character that makes a person teachable no matter how much he may already know and is a trait I would like to see far more common than it is.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    While we are on the subject of Evan being a mod, I would like to point out that I have a great deal of appreciation for the fact that he fills that responsibility as a leader rather than as a despot. It says much about his character. This comes from the same basic character that makes a person teachable no matter how much he may already know and is a trait I would like to see far more common than it is.

:yesway:

:blahblah:

You're scared too? :D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    :yesway:

:blahblah:

You're scared too? :D

No. If I believed otherwise I may well keep it to myself rather than starting a new thread under site support explaining in excruciating detail why one of or more of the mods would need to improve to get up to useless like at least one former INGO member, but having seen useless mods elsewhere, I appreciate ours. :)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I can't believe you didn't mention how handsome he is, surely that elevates him to at least mediocre student before you even see the skills :):

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    On a more serious note, Mike I do appreciate the compliments. Perhaps one day I'll actually be able to live up to them.

You do bring up some good points about being a good student. I've been in classes with The Know-It-All, Mr. Zero Confidence, and even "That Guy". It's amazing to me that these folks will pay good money for a course and then work their hardest to not learn anything. For me the key has always been to check my ego at the door. If I do that, then I'm open to learning new things, meeting new people, and having an overall great time.

I've got some pictures and thoughts from this weekend's classes that I'll be putting into 2 AARs coming soon.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    On a more serious note, Mike I do appreciate the compliments. Perhaps one day I'll actually be able to live up to them.

You do bring up some good points about being a good student. I've been in classes with The Know-It-All, Mr. Zero Confidence, and even "That Guy". It's amazing to me that these folks will pay good money for a course and then work their hardest to not learn anything. For me the key has always been to check my ego at the door. If I do that, then I'm open to learning new things, meeting new people, and having an overall great time.

I've got some pictures and thoughts from this weekend's classes that I'll be putting into 2 AARs coming soon.

I think the know-it-all, and "that guy" that try their best not to learn, are the ones that just want the certificate, but still think they know the best. (even when they don't) Just like some of the kids joining the military, they play modern warfare and call of duty, and think, well, im a totally awesome there, so I can do anything, and then get that rude wake up call when they actually get to training and realize those games arent real. Heck, I was recruiting, and a kid came in and told me that he wanted to join, but though he should be a higher rank because he "Prestige'd" a couple times. I laughed him out of the office. So, Im sure there are the same, going to the gun schools with their torn apart Uncle Mike's holster with all the paintball tacticool gear, thinking they are super ninja.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We need this esrice guy. Since I am the Worst Student Ever, which means that I am "That Guy" in room full of guys who are usually "That Guy." We balance each other in the Big Picture.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    .......For me the key has always been to check my ego at the door. If I do that, then I'm open to learning new things, meeting new people, and having an overall great time.

Evan, who are you kidding...you check your ego at the door because it won't fit through.....:):

(really can't believe that I'm the first to say such a thing :D)

Seriously, my handful of interactions with this dude has been nothing but positive...He was definitely raised by good stock. Congratulations on getting a thread:D

Top Bottom