• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Small town cop in Tennessee, opened his own gun school.

James Yeager | Tactical Response

Never had a class with him, talked to many who have.

I have taken a class with an instructor of his, well, former instructor. They do things differently but really the same from my Orange Gunsite background.

Thanks. He seems to have hit the nail on the head with a lot of what he said, but he also strikes me as the kinda guy who thinks his way is the only way and nobody else knows what they're talking about. I was just curious as to what his background is that makes him a "gunfighter" and so many others just posers or wannabes "getting in his way." To be fair, this is the only video I've ever seen of him so I may have him totally wrong, that's just the vibe I got watching the video. Does anyone have personal experience with him who can set me straight if I'm wrong?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I definitely agree, to some extent, about different "categories" of guys.....we've all seen them, but that's not the "end all, be all" either by which I mean, I think there are a lot of guys that fit into multiple "categories" depending on circumstances

from what little I've learned about the guy, I thought it was funny for him to seemingly be "down playing" guys who take a lot of classes because ultimately, that's where most if not all of his experience comes from............that and from what else I've read about him I would tend to agree with jsharmon7 about his "attitude"...but I have not personally met him or anything

I do however also agree that anyone who owns a firearm should take on "mentality of defense" and practice with it:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I believe a lot of what he's saying about the "gunfighters" is that these particular types of people is that they come into a class EXPECTING a certain format. Shooters to the line, make ready and holster, etc. Any person who's seen any form of combat will tell you that this type of training ISN'T conducive to a real-life gun fight.

Gunfighting, in itself, is VERY dynamic... whether it be rifles, pistols, shotguns, what-have-you; However, if you go into every single class EXPECTING a particular format and how the class is run... you've already short-changed yourself. Keeping an open mind is what is going to give you an opportunity to learn, try, and pick something up from a class that you either haven't seen before, haven't tried before, or thought "This is complete bananas... but I'll try it anyway" and it ends up working.

That's why EVERY. SINGLE. class gear list has "An open mind" on it as a necessity. Some people go into these classes looking to pick up particular skills for a certain application, like IPSC, USPSA, or IDPA. Like James says, "Nothing wrong with that", but it's not the reason he's teaching the classes. It's meant to instill a sense of urgency of, "Hey, you have a gun... you better know how to use it because you might need it one day" that might turn into a lifetime pursuit of knowledge and training. That's what James and Tactical Response is known for. It's mindset over everything else.

Some people just don't "get it". If you've been through a gunfight and lived, you "get it".

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd like to go to some of this guys training. Like him or not I think that guy lives what he's talking about and teach other people a thing or two.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    He probably does have some excellent points to make, and I agree with his opinion that some people show up to class already knowing it all and not wanting to listen to new ideas. I'm also sure that he knows quite a bit more than me about this stuff. I just don't like the condescending way he approaches the topic and some of the groups he's identified. Maybe I approach it the wrong way, but for me it's important to "trust" the instructor when I'm taking a class. I have watched this video at least five times now and his body language and his attitude toward certain groups he's identified rub me the wrong way. It's a shame that I'd probably miss out on some great ideas, but it's just the way I'm wired. I'm going to search for some other videos by this guy, maybe it's just this one that struck me wrong. I've taken a few classes on "warrior mindset" and read quite a few books, so I'd really like to continue learning about it.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    from what little I've learned about the guy, I thought it was funny for him to seemingly be "down playing" guys who take a lot of classes because ultimately, that's where most if not all of his experience comes from............

I've read his resume. He's been a regular beat cop, an undercover officer, a SWAT officer, and he's done time in the sandbox as a private security contractor. He sounds like the real deal, and although I'm inclined to agree about his attitude I would still take his class. If I'm preparing for a deadly encounter, someone who is a little cocky shouldn't bother me in the least.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I'd like to go to some of this guys training. Like him or not I think that guy lives what he's talking about and teach other people a thing or two.

Right now we have dates for Armed Dynamics and Gomez International to come to the Fort Wayne area to offer classes. We are in the process of determining a date for Tactical Response to come for training as well, probably end of summer. We will be listing the training classes and dates soon on our web site.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've read his resume. He's been a regular beat cop, an undercover officer, a SWAT officer, and he's done time in the sandbox as a private security contractor. He sounds like the real deal, and although I'm inclined to agree about his attitude I would still take his class. If I'm preparing for a deadly encounter, someone who is a little cocky shouldn't bother me in the least.
    I've read his resume too, but like jsharmon I am inquisitive to investigate credentials of someone who presents themselves with so much more knowledge and wishes to teach it. I see that he was an officer but when looking at some of the other taining that I've not heard of, the only reference to the classes on the internet were going back to his website. This makes me question the credibility. I look at all training as valuable because there is no "wrong answer" but I at least want to be able to trust the person who I'm supposed to take seriously (a coach). It's more about this trust than it is his "cocky" attitude. I've come across far worse attitudes in the military and that's just an individual thing, some people are like that. His isn't bad enough to affect training with him IMO.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I always really like to compare Yeager to Suarez and see the directions each are going at different times. Both guys are similar...Big forums, big communities, big stores, big egos, pushing the envelope, controversial backgrounds, die hard supporters on both sides, really solid instructor base (I mean good guys, not just many guys), etc. You can go on and on. Both have some really good ideas most of the time. Both have their downsides. I've never found anyone else in the same category as these two. No matter what side you are on, and no matter whether you respect or hate the other...I think both sides are better off for the other existing. Their contributions to our "martial art" or whatever you want to call it (and those of their groups) are tangible and growing. I liked the video. Both have a take it or leave it attitude sometimes...but that's just part of the package.

Sort of a tangent...but I enjoy following the ebbs and flows in different parts of the field from each group.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I wonder which Yeager Category I fit into...

It would be funny to take a poll about which category people feel they fit into. I don't think too many people would admit to being in one of the other categories rather than a "true warrior." Honestly, I don't know that I fit into any of those categories, but I'm working toward one of them as best I can.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I think it's more like I fit into ALL of them to SOME extent..... i.e. I collect guns, and use most of them without fear of "hurting" them...but then there are some "pretty safe queens" that don't get used much and own them just out of the fact they're something I like or has some sort of historical importance to me.......so then which category would I fall under?......the point is I think almost everyone falls into several categories to varying degrees

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I always really like to compare Yeager to Suarez

Interesting observations. I completely agree.

It would be funny to take a poll about which category people feel they fit into. I don't think too many people would admit to being in one of the other categories rather than a "true warrior."

I will freely admit to being a Category 2 guy (Gear Queer :D) striving to be a Category 1 guy (warrior). :yesway:

I'm not a cop or a solider, but I do have a family I'm bound to protect. That's worth me getting an "education" in being a warrior. Always learning.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Interesting observations. I completely agree.

I will freely admit to being a Category 2 guy (Gear Queer :D) striving to be a Category 1 guy (warrior). :yesway:

I'm not a cop or a solider, but I do have a family I'm bound to protect. That's worth me getting an "education" in being a warrior. Always learning.

:laugh::laugh: "gear queer" :laugh::laugh: you're only as good as your gear......just don't pay too much for something that does the same thing as a cheaper item

Top Bottom