• lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Picture from Class

Others will be adding their impressions of the class soon. I want to show some images from a great class. The weather turned out nicer than the forecast. We had 30 degree temps and gentle snow!

I personally learned a great deal about not only low light shooting, but my gear, gun handling with heavy winter clothing, and moving while shooting! (Note, it was much darker than the outdoor photos show because the camera used a flash.)

Class begins. Obijohn welcoming participants.
    2hdtjev.jpg

Rhino demonstrating various ways to use the lights
    iqyo7b.jpg

Granger and Rhino overseeing the first drills
    2zsu2jn.jpg

INGO members during first break
    2jdjnd5.jpg

Rhino holds court…..
    331253n.jpg

More drills
    xgfz42.jpg

Clearing the line
    2zhntwy.jpg

Hickman shooting the figure eight drill
    119p2sm.jpg

esrice at the figure eight drill
    2llyejr.jpg

Class picture
    24whod4.jpg

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    It was definitely a fun group. A large group for sure. I think the drills went well for the large numbers. My strong hand could use some work this winter. I will be adding low-light dry fire drills to my repertoire. I know, some of you probably didn't think I could pull out a .50 Cent work like that. It happens from time to time.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I will put up some review points later, but going back to bed now. (Continuing my plague ridden anti social trend). I would have enjoyed it more if I had felt better, but it was absolutely worth sucking it up for four hours. I did manage to briefly meet a few INGO folks that I had not previously had the privilege, and that is always good. Hopefully I stayed far enough away to quarantine.

Thanks again to the group and to the instructors...review coming later!

hschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    What better way to spend a Saturday evening

Team,

It was great to meet you all - a very different crowd from the DP's i have done in daylight.

This was a great experience, and a rare one at that, as there are few chances to practice in the dark except for the real thing:)

I can not wait to see the video......

Henrik

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Even thbough we were all new to low light shooting, I think the marksmanship was very good ( I could use some work, but overall not to dissapointed with my first attempt). I also agree that everyone was very safe with their firarms. ACT did an excellent job keeping an eye on us all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The ACT guys put on an educational, thought provoking, class.

I was happy with what I retained from last years low light class. At the same time, sorely reminded of what I haven't practiced or tested.

Just because you own guns, lights, and cold weather gear, doesn't mean they will work together how and when you want them to.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My AAR:

The class started with an introduction that included:

• Safety Concerns: Being a hot range, all safety rules were covered
    • Goal & Objectives
    • Low light issues

Next there was a discussion of lights, their purposes, hand and weapon mounted along with the various selection and features of lights. After that we talked about sights, covering night sights, lasers and red-dot.

Moving on, we went into the application of lights, various grips, lanyards and shooting techniques.

From there the class went out to low-light bay for the warm-up and training section. Several drill were covered, which are highlighted in the below video:

(video is still processing, can click and watch low quality on YouTube)

YouTube - ACT Defensive Pistol 205 Low Light Techniques

From there, the group moved to the rear bays where there was no light.
    Each student went through drills designed to test the students abilities to assess threats and decide which targets to engage and which were no threat.

When shooting was done, all met back in the classroom for a debrief after-action review.

I think A.C.T. puts on some of the best training in the midwest and the price is hard to beat. Most of us work full time with families and can't get out to the big name training facilities, but I'm more than happy with what I learn from A.C.T.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just because you own guns, lights, and cold weather gear, doesn't mean they will work together how and when you want them to.

That's the truth!

And it reminds me of something I meant to mention.

Most folks know I carry a Glock and have used one in all of my previous training classes. My confidence and ability with the Glock has been tested and tried.

Last night, I chose to step away from my comfort zone by taking my Wilson Combat CQB 1911. As we know, the 1911 features both grip and thumb safety. I have shot five or six USPSA matches with it this year, so I was pretty confident that I would be okay.....

But when you add something else to think about to the equation, mainly a flashlight, things aren't as easy as one would think they would be. I realized during the drills when shooting the CQB strong-hand, I would either forget to run my thumb down the saftey or realize my grip was lower on the gun that should have been and the gun wouldn't fire.

Why? Because my focus was more on the grip of the light or actuating the button for the light. JoshWard and BWFRAME seemed more at ease, because this is their primary weapon. I really had to focus on my grip in the complete dark stages around back, and my found that trying various grips we where taught really helped.

Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Enjoyed the class! Classmates were helpful as well.

Might recommend you include an extra hour to your 'plan' when you attend a class because it seems there is always extra information to be gleaned even after the class is over. I had to work this morning, so I had to leave.

Very informative class, and highly recommend it. The light is a very important item, and you need one in addition to the one that is on your gun due to safety reasons as highlighted by recent events. As always checking other classmates gear is a very useful part of the class. Something that was highlighted was a laser, very useful when shooting in low light situations!

Cold weather gear was also tested, and I need better boots and moar socks! UnderArmor gloved worked like a champ, I was able to reload mags and did not have any issues with shooting with them. I expect I need more practice, but who doesn't?

Great class, hope to attend next year.... maybe in August :-D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I can't get the video to work. And I wish so much I was able to attend this class.

What lights worked the best? And how DO you perform reloads one handed?

Top Bottom