Defensive Shooting Concepts - Tactical Rifle (Review)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    This is a short review of a tactical rifle class I attended this past Sunday with Jon Tindal from Defensive Shooting Concepts. The class was taught in Atlanta, IN.
    Tactical Rifle - Defensive Shooting Concepts

Before I get into the review, I want to briefly touch on my initial impressions of the instructor himself, Jon Tindal. This was my second training class with Jon, I have been more than satisfied with both classes, and I fully intend on doing more training with him in the future. His number one goal is safety, which goes without saying should be anyone handling firearms goal as well. I felt safe throughout both classes I attended and I'm a bit of a safety Nazi myself. He is very easy to get along with, firm but fair in his teachings, and very down to earth. And what I mean by down to earth is you don't get a condescending tone like he's some kind of elitist or anything, more of an older brother who's looking out for you kind of treatment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying instructors should treat everyone with soft gentle hands and worry about their "feelings" all the time, but most people (myself included) don't want someone yelling at them the whole time like R. Lee Ermey from Full Metal Jacket and make them feel like "deplorables" (thanks Hillary). If I wanted that kind of treatment, I could just stay home with the wife. :)

Okay, onto the short review, which will be somewhat of a scattered highlight reel (not necessarily in order) to allow people with short attention spans like myself to remain interested and reading. Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to give away any secrets here, but speaking more in generic terms on some of this stuff. I want to mention that this class was the right size to enable Jon to shoot along with us rather than just talking the whole time. I found this not only helpful, but I got a better sense of his abilities as well, which goes a long way with me. It's easy to listen to people talk about how much they know, but how often do you see them in action?

----Tactical Rifle----

- Meet up in the pistol bay

- Started with a safety briefing, brief discussion on current world events, introduction to others and the instructor. I personally like this in classes, even if you don't remember everything, you at least get to remind yourself out loud why you are there in the first place and find out others are there for the same reasons.

- Test fire stage to make sure everyone's rifles are hitting on paper.

- Focal point of the day was going to be fast and accurate shot placement. Two of my favorite things.

- Shot from various distances to show how the POI shifts the closer you get to the target, I'd say 20 yards in. I found this helpful as the local range I use does not allow rifle caliber rifles in the pistol bay, which limits me to 50 yds or more for rifle training.

- How to transition from strong hand to weak hand shooting and when this might be valuable, instructed in a streamlined logical approach. This was a struggle for me though as I've shot weak hand on the bench, but not while moving around and engaging targets on the go. I enjoyed the challenge as this was not something I routinely practice.

- Used figure eight maneuvers around barrels while incorporating numerous actions that were needed throughout, such as kneeling and transitioning shots between different locations on target.

- Practiced numerous mag changes, including mag changes for speed and incorporated randomly needed mag changes in a way that added numerous things to think about during the drill. I would give Jon credit for referring to some of these drills as "mind blown" drills. I got screwed up several times during this, simply because I had not ever trained for some of the things that came up, and finding out things I thought would work did not.

- Did some impromptu drills during the day because the class was doing really well with the folks there, this was kind of cool to just mix things up and kind of go on the fly (using some input from others as well).

- We were sure to take plenty of water breaks and a short lunch break in the middle of class. I can appreciate this as I'm always hungry.

- Practiced using the 9-hole board effectively. I've used a 9-hole several times prior to this and never liked it. The way Jon taught this made more sense and I surprisingly found myself really liking it and performed well.

- Had some impromptu speed contests at the end and I really really enjoyed this. I felt like it capped off an awesome training class.

There was so much more covered in this class, but I'm going off pure memory here (which gets worse daily). Overall the class was affordable, conveniently scheduled day of the week, and very easy for me to enjoy. I learned a lot about my abilities, my limits, and things I need to focus more on. I had some equipment issues that the instructor helped me out with (thank you again for that Jon). I would gladly recommend this class and any other classes that are offered for that matter. This is time and money well spent with an instructor who knows what he's doing and teaches using an easy to understand method. Jon knows his stuff, knows how to teach it, and gives you a discount on future classes. It doesn't get better than that in my opinion.

Thanks for reading,
    T-DOGG

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Although I did not take this past weekend's class, I have taken a rifle class with Jon and have shot 1000's of rounds with him over time. The way he teaches is his true character and his passion to the student. I would say that T-Dogg nailed his personality and teaching style. You will enjoy it and actually learn something - a rare combination in many of the classes out there.

Could not recommend him enough.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    I attended this class as well. T-Dogg's revicw is spot on. It was a fun class, and very educational. Jonathan is one of the best instructors I have learned from, through all my years of being a student. The group of guys that attended the class,, were all very good shooters, and safety was never a problem. This allowed to class to remain fluid and change accordingly to the skill level. (as well as allow Jon to shoot, which gave us a glimps of just how it should be done in real time)

I have taken most of Jonathans courses and look forward to attending at least one of the October classes. I have always ended the day being a better shooter, and having more knowledge than I did that morning. Along with quite a bit less ammo. :) I can safely say that you would be hard pressed to find a better instructor, or class than one of Defensive Shooting Concepts. The amount of knowledge gained for that amount of dollars spent is outstanding. I'm not trying to take anything away from the other fine instructors on here. But I always look forward to attending his classes. - David

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Where was the class at? I'm always looking for new places to attend.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Where was the class at? I'm always looking for new places to attend.

This class was held at Atlanta Conservative Club. And is where mos of DSC classes are held. Very nice members only range. Where most of the times we are the only ones there (I really need to get a membership there).

Any additional questions and I would be glad to answer them on here. Or just contact Jonathan, as I'm sure he would get back with you in a very timely manor.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    I think you will find the classes are well worth your drive. Maybe I will see you at one on the next classes

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Central IN
    Thanks for the review. I am glad you all have been able to take something from the training. I have two more Advanced Classes this month posted on my web page one of which is this Saturday. Hope to see some of you there.

Top Bottom