• ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Full Description

Managing Confrontations is a relatively complex class with a relatively simple goal. We want you to understand the entire situation leading up to the start of a fight. Many places can teach you to fight and we offer other classes on how to use weapons. Very few people teach anything about the time between “everything’s fine” to the start of an attack.

A significant part of Managing Confrontations is the Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC) framework developed by Craig Douglas at Shivworks. This module is included with Craig’s permission because there is no better method to handle the initial interaction with an unknown person. Much other previous work has also been included and references to original contributors will be made during class where appropriate.

We will slowly build our framework by teaching a portion then integrating it in live scenarios. Piece by piece we will increase your ability to deal with stress, observation, and decision-making. Eventually the process of understanding the interaction and pre-fight phase of the fight will become second nature and automatic leaving you free to make decisions on what to do next.

Finally, we’ve added a module covering the basics of the types of combatives likely to be encountered in a fight. There will not be any belts discussed and this won’t be techniques that require years of practice to master. These are the fundamental basics for interacting with another person during a fight. There are no style points, and it will not be pretty. We cover some points on striking to close distance. We cover the standing clinch portion in great detail as most fights are won or lost here. We then cover fundamentals of ground fighting and what you need to know. This information has been around for centuries and the lessons learned here are found in every martial art around the world. We will keep what is needed, remove the fluff and style, and present it in an easy to understand concise way. You will be given opportunities to pressure test the material if you so choose.

I’ve said before if I could only share one piece of the puzzle I’ve learned over my years of training, it would be this material. I honestly use this material every single week, often multiple times. It can be used on everyone from coworkers to panhandlers and muggers to ski-masked murderers. Understand how criminals operate, break their pattern, and stay ahead of the curve.

This class is designed for both men and women. Children 14+ are common students and encouraged to attend. If you have questions about a family member attending, please contact the instructors below. The class will be active, but only lightly physical with the ability to do more or less as you choose.

Topics Covered

• Criminal Assault Indicators
    • Mentality of an Attacker
    • Ways to Maintain Awareness Without Being Paranoid
    • Mobility is Everything
    • Schematic for How Fights Take Place
    • When and How Weapons Come into Play
    • Avoiding the Legal Aftermath
    • Key Points of Striking, Clinching, and Ground Fighting
    • Much, Much More

For more information and to register go here.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I agree, this is a great class and a great opportunity to roll around with sweaty men.

I get approached more in a normal month in my current life than I did in my entire time in Indiana. I'll probably NEVER use lots of the things I learned in some of the other classes I've taken over the years, but I use THIS material and experience frequently. I've had the opportunity to try quite a few "tape loop" messages now. Good stuff.

Not everybody would find that as positive of an experience as you, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Don't sell yourself short. I saw the way chez was looking at you one afternoon in Avon...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    One of iCP's favorite pastimes.

Oh, I think it's safe to say it IS my favorite. #1. I can own it. Why are you hiding it, Jackson? And I've seen it on some other faces around here... It's ok, there's nothing wrong with a little bump and grind.

There was a guy who trained at the gym before your time there. He had this thing -- if you wound up turtled and he started to attack it, he'd always sing a little smooth R&B in your ear as he was doing his thing. It was... unnerving.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Oh, I think it's safe to say it IS my favorite. #1. I can own it. Why are you hiding it, Jackson? And I've seen it on some other faces around here... It's ok, there's nothing wrong with a little bump and grind.

There was a guy who trained at the gym before your time there. He had this thing -- if you wound up turtled and he started to attack it, he'd always sing a little smooth R&B in your ear as he was doing his thing. It was... unnerving.

Except for you. We all know you really wanted to say "arousing".

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Mike and Josh, I'd like to apologize for Jackson's behavior in this thread. This is why we can't have nice things.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Mike and Josh, I'd like to apologize for Jackson's behavior in this thread. This is why we can't have nice things.

Its just like you to instigate things then disappear when the authorities come.

Seriously though, most classes spend two days working on the 3 seconds of the incident you spend shooting. Now you have an opportunity to spend 8 hours working on the 10 minutes that might prevent the 3 seconds in the first place. Go check it out.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

There is a fairly long history of the sort of thing you are talking about but I am not going to get specific.

(pause)

For the most part I have enjoyed the show.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I will add another endorsement. I took the class earlier this year and it was well worth it. Identifying and sorting out potential threats was covered at great length as was managing them without necessarily requiring force to do so. I encountered much material that was new to me regarding the assessment of unknown persons and not allowing them to get the upper hand in spite of having had previous training that covered overlapping subject-matter in past experiences.

As if this isn't enough, there is also unarmed roughhousing involved!

It is a great class taught by great instructors!

JohnnyP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    South Bend
    This is the first time Kodiak Firing Range is hosting Paladin Combaitves. We have just over a week left. Don't miss out on this opportunity.

Top Bottom