• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I don’t have consistent access to a range that will allow shooting at night. So I try to take advantage of every opportunity I get. Pursuant to that, I take this class with ACT every year. I also like classes that add complexity to the problem. Shooting in low-light definitely does that. So does shooting in cold weather, from concealment of heavy coats, while wearing gloves, with movement and cover, etc. ACT gives us an opportunity to roll all these elements together. If you’ve trained with ACT (or are otherwise qualified to take this course) and you didn’t show up, you missed an excellent opportunity to work some critical skills.

The Basics
    Training Provider: Adaptive Consulting and Training
    Course: Low Light Skills
    Date: 12/14/13
    Duration: 4 Hours
    Instructors: John (obijohn), Joe (rhino)
    Students: 7
    Students from the Board: bwframe, ColdSteel223, iChokePeople, jason, OneBadV8, nad63

Related Threads

1. ACT DP205b -- Low light skills 14DEC13 at Riley Conservation Club
    2. AAR: ACT DP205b low-light, December 2013

Summary
    This is a short format class that ACT has put on annually for the past few years. It usually begins with about an hour of classroom time covering types of flashlights and basic flashlight techniques then moves to the range for a series of low-light drills. This session usually presents several problems to the student in addition to low light. The drills usually involve movement, cover, searching with the light, some decision making, and a lot of one-hand shooting. The class is also conducted during cold, night-time winter conditions. So students have to deal with coats, gloves, and slippery snow-covered conditions.

Details
    Classroom:
    The classroom session was pretty short this time around. All but one of the students had taken this class at least once if not two or three times in the past. The classroom started with a safety briefing. John provided a quick overview of various flashlight types and some of the advantages. He also presented three different techniques for using the flashlight while shooting.

Range:
    When we moved out to the range it was still fairly well lit, but the sun was on its way down. We kicked off with a warm-up on steel at 10yds or so. This gave us an opportunity to work through accessing the flashlight, drawing the pistol from our winter clothes, and shooting with gloves. While the flashlight wasn’t necessary for hits at this point, we were encouraged to practice with the various flashlight techniques. Most of the students adopted a neck index with the flashlight while shooting with one hand.

The first drill after we warmed up was basically moving laterally across the line and shooting at the steel targets. It was getting a bit darker by this point and while still not absolutely necessary, flashlights were helpful for illumination of sights and target. Shooting small steel discs on the move, with one hand, while trying to keep your flashlight oriented in such a way that it hits the sights and your target is fairly challenging.

One of the more complex drills was the “figure 8” drill. For this drill John and Joe set up two stacks of two barrels. Steel targets were set up down range with numbers and letters painted on them. There were also cardboard no-shoots interspersed with the steel. The student would begin the drill walking a figure 8 around the barrels, gun holstered, flash light in pocket. An instructor would call out a target by number or letter and the student would have to draw the flashlight and pistol while moving behind a barrel (cover), use the flashlight to search for the correct target while properly utilizing the cover, then engage the target. In some cases there was more than one target with the letter. It was important to systematically search the whole area, identify the letter or number on each target, and engage as necessary. We also did an iteration of this drill shooting left handed while holding the flashlight in the right hand.

After a few more drills we capped off the evening with some one-on-one (aka ‘man-on-man’ as it came be known) speed competitions from the holster. Basically, two people on the line, one steel target, both have the objective of drawing a pistol, a flashlight, and putting a hit on steel before the other person. I was bested in round two by the eventual overall winner.

My Thoughts

1. I have night sights on my pistol. They are somewhat old and not as bright as they once were, but they still glow. I didn’t use them. I didn’t even think about them during any of the drills. I use a flashlight technique that generally illuminates the sights. When the flashlight was not properly illuminating the sights, I still did not use the night sights. I adjusted the flashlight until the front sight was well illuminated. I am not sure I even realized the night sights were glowing.
    2. Maintaining light discipline while moving around, shooting, trying to reload and keep your gun running, and use the cover can be tricky. This is something I plan to work more often.
    3. Searching with the light around cover really shows me how effectively I’m using the cover.
    4. After I find the target, finding a position for the light which illuminates the target, my sights, and doesn’t reflect a blinding light off the cover can be tricky.
    5. Holding the flashlight in my right (strong/dominant/pimary/whatever) hand while trying to use the gun with my left (off/weak/reaction/whatever) hand is a lot harder than I would have guessed. My right hand didn’t know where to put the light and my left hand… Well it belongs on the short bus anyway.
    6. I plan to try out a pistol-mounted light. I never run one, but could see its usefulness.
    7. Most of us don’t do nearly enough one-hand shooting. All of the shooters who showed up are well-practiced and have taken several training classes, some shoot competitions, and all are well above average when it comes to pistol skills. We are even fairly competent one-handed pistoliers compared to the average gun owner. Even with this level of ability on the line, you could see a significant drop in marksmanship while using one hand vs two.
    8. Winter clothes will foul you up. Practice with your coat on. Practice with your gloves on. Wear gloves you can use to shoot.
    9. When I started carrying a flashlight I just dropped it in my pocket. I have flirted with belt carry of my flashlight next to my magazine(s). I utilized the belt holster for the flashlight in the last few low-light courses including one FoF course. During various training sessions since then, I have grabbed the flashlight while reaching for a magazine. This is fine if you haven’t pulled it out yet. If the flashlight clears the holster before you realize what you have, you just added a lot of time to your reload by having to put it away and get a magazine instead. Lately I’ve gone back to pocket carry, and that is what I utilized for this course. It is slower, but I don’t confuse the flash light for a magazine anymore.
    10. The guys at ACT put on a good course. I want to give thanks to them for hosting this course every year. It’s a really great opportunity for guys like me who don’t have an opportunity to shoot in the dark very often.

Last edited:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    AAR
    ACT DP205b Low Light Skills
    Sat December 14[SUP]th [/SUP]2013. 1700-2100 Hours approx.
    Riley Conservation Club Bay #3
    Details:
    We met in the clubhouse at 1700 hours or shortly beforehand. This was a low light, winter conditions type class. There were seven participants and two instructors for this class (John Viray & Joseph Viray ) This was NOT an introductory class and prior training was required. This was to be a live fire course with 90% of the time on the line. After brief personal introductions, John & Joseph conducted a review of some of the different lights available. Several examples of different types were on hand to handle, or actually use later on at the range. Prices ranged from $5 to around $400. Different methods for holding a light and gun were discussed and we were encouraged to try multiple methods during the class (hands apart aka FBI technique, neck index light held off hand at the jawline/side of head, Harries grip, Rogers/Cigar hold etc. Various methods clarified here
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZRNLfbnIJM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHZRNLfbnIJM) Safety was emphasized especially pertaining to trigger finger discipline, running around in the dark with snow & icy conditions. This session took about 30 mins and then we were to load up our gear and head to bay #3 for the remainder of the class.
    Around 3-6” of snow, rain and sleet were not going to cancel this class. These were ideal conditions since the class was to test our ability to perform in low light coupled & adverse conditions. Everyone was bundled up to one degree or another and this was also a requirement of the class that a conceal garment was to be used. We started off warming up as the remaining daylight faded. Making some shots on steel plates at about 7 yards or so with drawing from concealment. We practiced magazine changes and reengaging the target and going through the motions of using our lights..
    Next the class lined up and we moved laterally left to right across the bay illuminating and engaging targets as we moved. There were maybe ten or twelve 8” plates to shoot. When one shooter got half way through the targets another was released and followed behind and so on. We repeated this evolution several times. Emphasis was placed upon using/trying different methods to illuminate/identify out targets.
    John and Joseph reconfigured the bay into a figure eight set up. I had not taken a prior pistol class with ACT so was unfamiliar with the set up. Basically this consisted of spraying letters and numbers onto the steel plate targets and randomly arranging them. Half a dozen or so “good guy’ silhouettes were randomly arranged in front of the steel targets. (It should be noted that no good guys were harmed during this course!). On the firing line, two pairs of double stacked 55 gal drums were placed about ten feet apart. The shooter was to then walk in a figure eight path around the barrels. John or Joseph would call out a random number or letter and the shooter would then have to positively identify and engage that specific target (there were duplicate numbers and they called non existent numbers and letters also just to make life interesting!). Movement, drawing and reloading, use of cover were all practiced. This is where not being tied to one particular light method came in handy and it also showed the pros and cons of different methods. We got multiple tries at this.
    The third stage was a variation of the figure eight but the targets & ‘good guys’ were rearranged. Instead of a pair of barrels to walk around this time there were three groups of stacked and singles to serpentine through. Similarly the ACT guys randomly called out a number or letter and it was game on. We got to do this strong hand and weak hand. We got multiple tries at this.
    Next we performed what I believe was a Jeff Cooper drill. We start facing up range. On command we turn, draw and illuminate/identify three targets. Each got shot twice each, any order, for a total of six shots, then reload and repeat . We did this multiple times and got to use whatever different lights or methods we wanted to try out.
    We wrapped up with one on one shoot off. Drawing from concealment and the first one to hit the steel was the winner. This concluded the class.
    Lessons learned:
    1. I witnessed equipment failures….light & laser failures (or at least temperamental performances!) when you practice/train you learn what to do in the event this happens in real life.
    2. Every time you change something up you really need to train and test it out. Glove thickness and dexterity come to mind. Holster location, different clothing….
    3. The cumbersomeness of cold weather outerwear needs to be overcome and trained for. Drawing off hand with the additional bulk needs practice and this extra bulk also hampers agility.
    4. Weapon mounted lights work for me but you must always have a secondary light and be prepared/know how to use it. Be adaptive with your light. Sometimes you will have to move the light away from your weapon in order to illuminate/identify the target. There is no ‘one system is best and Its all about what works for the individual.
    5. Don’t crowd your cover. Sometimes you are better off to back off and work the angles (slice the pie)
    6. This was a great class to see what works and what does not. Some, if not all of the attendees were returning participants. They obviously recognize the need to train and retrain in these circumstances. I too will be back.
    Thanks to everyone who participated in the class for making it enjoyable and worthwhile.
    Thanks John & Joseph for the training, guidance, encouragement and the laughs.
    Nigel

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Good reviews to what was no doubt a good class. Much respect out to those who attended in those conditions. It does my heart good. It can be quite discouraging to peruse the Handgun or Rifle sub forum's and see the multitude of posts there absolutely dwarfing any participation of the T and T sub forum. It is very encouraging to hear from the relatively few who actually go out and do it.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Oh, come on Mike... You know the second biggest determining factor in gunfight survivability is how cool you sound on the internet or how many posts you have, following right behind caliber choice (.45 vs not. 45). Training is only for those of us who can't manage those two things.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Did Rhino sport a WML now that he is shooting those Tupperware guns?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Great reviews, gentlemen. Thanks for attending. None of us really train as much as we should, especially in low light and adverse weather conditions.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Would you dare say that I've become Coach-able?

I would say you are coachable, but it takes a while to convince you of something. Once you open your mind you always give it the ole college try.

Where are you the WML now? I know it is not the answer in every situation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would say you are coachable, but it takes a while to convince you of something. Once you open your mind you always give it the ole college try.

Where are you the WML now? I know it is not the answer in every situation.

I always thought they were a viable option, but I didn't have a way to use them until the Great Glock Experiment. Now that I have something that will mount a light and a holster for it, I am freer to advocate since I have some personal experience. My reticence in the past mostly because I hadn't tried it enough. For when you need to actually use the gun in low light conditions, you can't beat a WPL. It's faster, less prone to fumble, and you can use both hands to shoot.

I still think a handheld is necessary whether you have a WPL or not, though!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I always thought they were a viable option, but I didn't have a way to use them until the Great Glock Experiment. Now that I have something that will mount a light and a holster for it, I am freer to advocate since I have some personal experience. My reticence in the past mostly because I hadn't tried it enough. For when you need to actually use the gun in low light conditions, you can't beat a WPL. It's faster, less prone to fumble, and you can use both hands to shoot.

I still think a handheld is necessary whether you have a WPL or not, though!

You are right of course. If not shooting a handheld is necessary. If shooting a WML is the way to go.

Top Bottom