• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    For those of you with plans to use the Baofeng UV-5r as your survival/emergency radio, what accessories have you tried with it, and like?

Personally, I'm looking for a replacement ear piece. I've looked at a couple of the Motorolas on Amazon, but without having it in my hand I'm having a hard time choosing. Also, is there an external antenna you would suggest for vehicle/mobile use? I am looking at either the Nagoya UT-105 or UT-108.

I've also thought about picking up an extended replacement antenna. Any suggestions on this? I know it's not necessary, but I have seen reports/reviews of some antennas giving slightly better signal reception. One of these is the Nagoya 701.

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Well, This is what I can think of right now. And I tried to put them into MY order of importance.

1: Spare battery is the most important.
    Having either a 1800mAh or an extended 3600 / 3800mAh battery fully charged on hand to drop in if your current battery dies is invaluable.
    ( Amazon.com: Baofeng 7.4v 3800mAh Li-ion Battery for UV-5R-1 UV-5R-2 UV-5R-3 UV-5R-4 UV-5R-5 UV-5R-6 UV-5R-7 UV-5R-L BF-F8 BF-F8+ BF-F9: Electronics, Amazon.com: BaoFeng BL-5 Two Way Radio Battery: Electronics)

2: Spare battery that uses 6 AAA batteries.
    Your battery and a spare will only last so long. You will not waltz into your local Wal-Mart and find a UV-5R battery on the shelf however AAA batteries are VERY plentiful! Rechargeable AAA batteries might even be a good route to go paired with a wall charger or a solar battery charger.
    (Amazon.com: Lb-75n Two-way Radio Battery Case for Baofeng Uv-5r ,Tyt F8 F9 ,Vitai Vt-uv3 Vt-uv9r Two Way Radios: Electronics)

3: Aftermarket antenna.
    I installed a Diamond SRJ77CA on mine and immediately started getting better reception. It’s not a must have but highly recommended. The model I chose is a bit long but shorter ones can be found on Amazon.com. Almost any aftermarket antenna will perform better than the stock antenna. (I purchased my antenna at Gigaparts.com)

4: External Hand Mic.
    Great tool to have in your radio toolbox making your radio much more versatile. To communicate you do not have to remove and reattach your entire radio from your belt, you can simply reach down; key your mic and talk. Cheaper models only do transmit and receive, more expensive models like the Kenwood SMC-34 allow volume adjustment and have a 2.5mm connector to attach an ear piece for even more privacy or stealth.
    (Cheaper Baofeng/Wouxon style mics can be found on Amazon.com for $15-$20, I found the Kenwood mic in stock at Gigaparts for $29)

5: SMA-F (female) to SO-239 adapter. (pigtail)
    This adapter will allow you to connect your hand held radio to an external antenna.
    (These cables can be found at RadioShack, I found mine at Gigaparts for $15, Coax jumper/adapter: SO-239/SMA-F,18in)

6: External antenna: Slim Jim Antenna.
    This antenna coupled with the antenna adapter cable will allow you to talk and receive from MUCH further! Tie some 550 cord to a rock, tie the other end to this antenna, hoist it up in a tree and talk ever further. This antenna can also be easily rolled up and thrown in your radio / bug out style bag. (This antenna can be found at 2wayelectronix.com for $27 with an extra 16’ of RG8X coax cable to get from your antenna in the tree to your hand held.)

7: External Antenna: Magnet mount Antenna.
    Your vehicle is actually shielding the radio waves trying to get in and out so using a magnet mount antenna on your vehicle will help you hear and talk farther. You can go high end and spend a lot of money or go low end and still get the job done. I spent $75 on a Comet SBB-7 and $23 on a Comet CM-5M mag mount and it works great! (The Comet SBB-7 and CM-5M can be found in stock at Gigaparts. Note the adapter cable listed above will be needed)

8: 12V Battery Eliminator:
    Not necessary but a nice addition to your “all inclusive radio toolbox”. This attachment connects your radio directly to your car’s electrical system saving your battery’s life while you are using your battery in your car. Please note that this attachment will NOT recharge spent batteries. (Amazon.com: EarlyBirdSavings Car Battery Adapter Eliminator for Baofeng UV-5R: Electronics)

9: UV-5R USB Programming cable:
    Good accessory to have to be able to program your radio however without the proper software or technical “know how” this cable is useless.

10: 12V adapter for use with the charging base.
    Allows you to charge the radio with a 12V source. Throw it in the car or on the bench. (Amazon.com: TOP SOURCING Car charger cable for BaoFeng UV-5R, UV-5RA, UV-5RB, UV-5RE charging adapter: Electronics)

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Well, This is what I can think of right now. And I tried to put them into MY order of importance.

1: Spare battery is the most important.
    Having either a 1800mAh or an extended 3600 / 3800mAh battery fully charged on hand to drop in if your current battery dies is invaluable.
    I do not currently have a spare battery, but an extended or two is on the list.

2: Spare battery that uses 6 AAA batteries.
    I have seen these on Amazon and will probably pick one up as well.

3: Aftermarket antenna.
    An antenna is on my short list, I just didn't know which was recommended. I have read good things about the Nagoya pieces though. The 771 gets good reviews, but is a bit longer. The 701 also seems to do well and it's not much longer than the OE antenna.

4: External Hand Mic.
    Already have one of these on the way from Amazon. I went with the Baofeng BF-S112.

5: SMA-F (female) to SO-239 adapter. (pigtail)
    Might not be a bad thing to have, even though the antennas I am looking at are already SMA-F.

6: External antenna: Slim Jim Antenna.
    Not a bad idea, and after looking, it seems you can get them with the SMA-F option, but using a common connector and adapting it to the Baofeng will allow using it with other radios.

7: External Antenna: Magnet mount Antenna.
    I plan to get a mag mount antenna for the truck radio as I plan to just leave it in there with a car adapter and treat it as a mobile. I need to decide between using the center loaded Nagoya UT-105 or the UT-108 with the coiled center section. They're not the most expensive thing out there, but I have read good things about them.

8: 12V Battery Eliminator:
    Ahead of you on this one and already have a couple on order.

9: UV-5R USB Programming cable:
    Pretty much a necessity and everyone with this radio should have one or two on hand.

10: 12V adapter for use with the charging base.
    Might consider getting one of these as well, but I agree, it definitely ranks towards the bottom.

I agree with a lot of what you said, thanks for the input.

Do you have any suggestions for ear pieces, or do you not normally use them or have them with your radio?

Also, of the external antennas I mentioned, do you have an opinion as to which would be the better purchase? I will probably going with the 701 radio mount antenna to replace the OE piece, but it would be a lot better if it qualified for Amazon Prime, haha.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I have a cheap hand mic works great!
    I have the 771 antenna works well.
    Program cable and Chirp makes life easier on programming.

I suggest NOAA stations, murs, frs, and gmrs. Some for talk some for monitoring. U can eliminate NOAA from scan so it doesn't trip every time through.

I would go with lmr 400. Co x in Lieu of the rg8 it's a higher gain , low loss coax.

My standard battery last great, but I am getting the bigger battery.
    **Idea:: The 6aaa battery and 12v are great ideas. **As well as a solar charger for the 6aaa , attach to top of pack.

The slim antenna that's rolls up is a great idea also. Get adapter in case u get a different radio make it more versatile.
    Para you better have para cord!! ;)

Hope my two cents helps

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Car Ramrod,

I personally don't use earpieces. I have the one that came with my Baofeng and I purchased one way back for my Yaesu VX-6R. It seems when I put them on, it only take a few minutes for me to take them back off. I was always that weird kid in school with the huge over the ear headphones, I guess nothing has changed.

I have no personal experience with Nagoya Antennas. Seems the ham community considers them a mixed bag. Some Hit, Some Miss. The 701 appears decent as does the 771, my preference would be the higher gain 771, I can't find much on the UT-105 or UT-108. YMMV

Antennas and Coax are what get your RF out and their RF in, as a general rule, it's not the place to go cheap. Alright, I understand, the UV-5R is a cheap radio, but that doesn't mean the antennas have to be. An antenna with more Gain will make the radio seem larger and more powerful. The more efficiently you can get your RF out the further you go. Likewise the higher gain the antenna, the farther the radio can "hear." Suppose one day you upgrade to a better radio. Davis0023 mentions LMR-400. I agree, however, if you are using less than 15 feet as in a mobile installation or a roll you keep in your pack for the SlimJim, the performance improvement is not worth the increased weight and bulk. LMR-400 is big stuff, doesn't like to bend as well as RG-8x or RG-58. Now for a permanent installation at the homestead, LMR-400 all day for VHF/UHF. I did some calculations; based on 145mhz, 10 feet of coax, 4 watts power, 1.0:1 SWR (this never happens) and a 0dBd antenna (this is something else to look into, the difference between dBd and dBi when comparing antenna gains, the Nagoya UT-105 is 0 dBd or 2.15 dBi and the Nagoya UT-108 is 0.85 dBd or 3.0 dBi and I'm assuming it's on 2M, since they don't mention) :

LMR-400 - Loss = 0.2dB, ERP (effective radiated power)= 3.9 watts
    RG-8X - Loss = 0.4dB, ERP = 3.6 watts
    RG-58A - Loss = 0.53dB, ERP = 3.5 watts (note: this coax is used on Comet mag mounts)
    RG-176 - Loss = 1.05dB, ERP = 3.1 watts (note: this is the coax used on the Nagoya and would represent the UT-105)

I redid the calculation for the Nagoya UT-108 with it's slightly higher gain
    RG-176 - Loss = 1.05, ERP = 3.8 watts

Just for reference, I did them for the Comet SBB-2 (similar gain to the UT-105) with a Comet CM-5M mag mount.
    RG-58A - Loss = 0.5dB, ERP = 3.5 watts

And the Comet SBB-5 (similar gain to the UT-108) with the same Comet mag mount.
    RG-58A - Loss = 0.5dB, ERP = 4.3 watts

And now, just for arguments sake a Comet SBB-7 with the same Comet mag mount.
    RG-58A - Loss = 0.5dB, ERP = 6.1 watts

Now let's increase the power to 50 watts (typical land-mobile radio)
    RG-176 - Loss = 1.05dB, ERP = 39.2 watts (UT-105)
    RG-176 - Loss = 1.05dB, ERP = 47.7 watts (UT-108)
    RG-58A - Loss = 0.5dB, ERP = 44.1 watts (SSB-2 w/CM-5M)
    RG-58A - Loss = 0.5dB, ERP = 53.6 watts (SSB-5 w/CM-5M)
    RG-58A - Loss = 0.5dB, ERP = 75.7 watts (SSB-7 w/CM-5M)

Coax does make a difference as does antenna gain. I'd go with UT-108 if I was determined to get a Nagoya, no need to lose 1 of the 4 available watts.

I mention the SMA-F to UHF (SO-239) pigtail because the UHF connector is pretty well the standard. For instance, you are wandering about, you need to get into contact with "Bob." You spot a car with a 2M amateur antenna. There is a gigantic possibility that it has a UHF (PL-259) connector on the other end. Rather than have equipment that must adapt to the radio, have the radio adapt to the equipment, and it only takes one pigtail to do that.

I put the Programming cable at the end of the list because you need to know how to program the radio without the cable. If you don't have access to a computer, having the knowledge to do it by hand is invaluable. I have the cable, and have used it to program my local and surrounding repeaters, but I still put them in by hand first just so I was familiar with the process.

Krogo

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    OK, here goes, I've been on the forum on and off for years and have dabbled with HAM, that's to say, a couple of years ago, I studied online and took my technician test and passed, bought a Yaesu FT-60 and never moved on. I posted a few times and talked to a few people who said they could help me out and they were great guys but didn't get what I was looking for. Please don't say go to some club meetings, I've done that as well and met a couple great people but after chatting a little, I still left really no better off. Call me backwards, introverted or whatever but here is what I'm looking for. Would like to pay someone to spend and hour or two walking me through my radio and making and receiving transmissions. Preferably someone familiar with the Yaesu FT-60. I know once I get past this hump, I'll probably get more involved but I know the way I learn and do things and showing up to meetings is just not going to help me in the beginning. First, that's not my learning style, second. my schedule is a nightmare and the 1st Tuesday of the month or other varied meeting times just never work out.

I've had people offer and say don't worry about the money, but life usually takes over and they get busy or want to meet at a club meeting where it's not individualized and I'm still nowhere further. We could meet at a public place, that's not a problem at all. I'm a firefighter for Indianapolis and live in New Palestine. Happy to talk to you ahead of time so we are comfortable with each other. I would really like to move forward with this and potentially get a mobile rig to practice more.

Again, I've meet some great people who I know want to help but for whatever reason, things fall through. I want to treat this like a business transaction or a tutoring situation so please don't feel bad. I'm wanting to pay for one on one instruction just like music lessons. With that being said. I will offer 30 per hour for you to show me how to use and navigate through the channels and use the local repeaters. Im thinking an hour or two to start and that might be all I need to get me off and running. I'm also willing to pay someone 20.00 extra to program my radio with the basic stuff. I have the cables and can download the programs we need.

Again, please don't guide me to some websites or you-tube or local meetings. That has not worked for me. Call me stupid but it is what it is. I've had people tell me to swing by a store to have it programmed. I cannot find any such stores. Each lead I've been given has fallen through. I would rather pay someone for their time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas and I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way but I really want to move to the next step and this is the only way I see myself moving to the next step. Hopefully someone out there can help me out. Thanks again.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You'll be much better off and safer by using smoke signals for your emergency/survival comms than one of these Chinese handheld $30 wonders. 10 spare batteries, and 20 spare antennas won't do squat for you if you drop that plastic covered toy in the mud, the water, the snow, or on the shag carpet. These things are toys. Period. If you are planning on it saving your life or the life of a loved in in survival circumstances, rottsa ruck.

Isn't your safety WORTH the $200-$300 it would cost to install a reliable yet simple comms system?

Go ahead and buy one of the junk radios, at that price it's very interesting...but PLEASE don't say it's your emergency/survival comms.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You'll be much better off and safer by using smoke signals for your emergency/survival comms than one of these Chinese handheld $30 wonders. 10 spare batteries, and 20 spare antennas won't do squat for you if you drop that plastic covered toy in the mud, the water, the snow, or on the shag carpet. These things are toys. Period. If you are planning on it saving your life or the life of a loved in in survival circumstances, rottsa ruck.

Isn't your safety WORTH the $200-$300 it would cost to install a reliable yet simple comms system?

Go ahead and buy one of the junk radios, at that price it's very interesting...but PLEASE don't say it's your emergency/survival comms.

I'd rather have 6 to 8 of these for the price of one like your recommending. I could hand them out as a force multiplier, stash a few here or there. Transmit or receive vital info then toss it and slip undetected through a checkpoint. So what if I happen to destroy one, I have 7 more to go. In the context your describing them being used you wouldn't want to have it on much anyways.
    these are a phenomenal buy.

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Bob,

Why all the hate? If a Baofeng or Wouxun motivates these folks to get the license and get into the hobby and onto the repeaters, isn't that a benefit to the community?
    Wouldn't it be a benefit to have more Skywarn trained operators during a severe weather event, even IF they are on Baofengs?
    If these folks learn proper net procedures and air etiquette with a Baofeng, does it change when they decide to drop coin on a Yeasu, Kenwood, or Icom?

The fact is, A Baofeng radio is a Super low cost gateway into a hobby where most folks (many of which are just intimidated) can't yet justify a $300 radio.
    It comes with time. If someone get's truly involved with the hobby, equipment upgrades are a logical next step. A Land-Mobile is an almost certain next step, enter the more traditional brands.

I'm a Yaesu guy myself (VX-6R, FT-8800, FT-8900, FT-897D, and an Icom IC-746 (which is a $700 piece of crap)) however, I do have a couple of Baofengs. I purchased a UV-5R a couple years ago when many of my students started talking about them. I have since purchased a UV-3R and a UV-5R+ just to keep abreast with the low cost entrance trends. Two Weeks ago I used a Baofeng UV-5R to perform my weather spotter duties during the storms that blew through and it performed admirably (and I even got it wet! Gasp!). My UV-5R is my EDC radio, and for good reason. If I drop it, drown it, run it over, shoot it, toss it out a window, microwave, incinerate, lose, or in any other accidental or malicious way damage, destroy, misplace, deface, mutilate, mangle, impair, injure, disfigure, vandalize the stupid thing, I'm out $30.........

My UV-5R has earned my trust, and will be by my side till something kills it.

Krogo

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The original poster said his Chinese junk radio was going to be his emergency/survival radio. I think that's a potentially fatal mistake. Krogo, if you think that's hate, well I don't know what to tell you.

You guys should spend your hard earned money on whatever radio you want. If you buy junk, you'll just end up buying it over and over again. If you save your money and buy good gear, you only have to buy it once. Like I said, for the price, it's an interesting radio....but if you make it your only radio you're going to be disappointed.

It's your money, invest however you want.

My advice is if all you can afford is junk....then save your money until you can buy something that will last and serve your needs. Goes for guns, vehicles, radios, tools, just about anything.

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just a tip for those using the 5R and wanted to go the extended battery route. I've been seeing a 3600mAh and a 3800mAh available. Could only find 1 side by side review. After watching this video I'll be sticking with the 3600. Check this out before you buy. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvGo8gYHF9g&desktop_uri=/watch?v=kvGo8gYHF9g

As a "Battery Guy", that video is full of fail. Capacity and Voltage are two totally independent variables. Mister Chung tries to surmise that since there are four cells within the 3800mAhr pack at 3.7V each it's impossible that it could be 3800mAhr since the 3600mAhr pack also has four cells at 3.7V. You cannot derive capacity from voltage. That said, the "charge port" on the top of that pack, if it is wired as Mr. Chung describes, does make it questionable. When in doubt buy OE. Since I do not personally have the 3800mAhr pack I cannot attest to its quality. I guess I have homework!! Buying one right now.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I generally go for comparison videos or write-ups.. Too bad this is all I can find. I agree that him merely seeing similar look is not a true indication of power. The 3 things that stood out. #1 The safety concern brought up. #2 Non-oem #3 seeing all the protective coatings on the OEM cells vs nada on the 3rd party. Would be interested in your findings. YouTube could use a more detailed compare too :) just saying

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Unless I missed something, the #1 accessory should be a ham license. How are you going to learn to use the thing legally, without being licensed? Yes, I know there are other frequencies on them, you cannot use them legally either.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Baofeng has a new corporate slogan, they bought it from White Castle..."Buy 'em by the Sack!"

BTW the Midstate Amateur Radio Club in Franklin is having a one day FREE license class for those wanting to test for their Technician class license. It's Feb 8th at the Johnson County Emergency Management Office in the basement of the Sheriff department. Starts at 8AM and runs until 4PM. You must register. See The Mid-State Amateur Radio Club Welcomes You! for all the details.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Unless I missed something, the #1 accessory should be a ham license. How are you going to learn to use the thing legally, without being licensed? Yes, I know there are other frequencies on them, you cannot use them legally either.
    I would not consider that an accessory, but more of a necessity.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I just picked up one of these off amazon plus the cable/program for $35. Now to figure out everything, like I already didn't have enough time to do everything.

Top Bottom