• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have about a half dozen Baofengs that all work perfectly. Do I expect them to survive a nuclear holocaust??? Not likely! None of them have given me any problems and they work reasonably well.

They provide a reasonable option for someone between spending $200+ for a name-brand handheld and not doing anything at all. I will tend to rely on my Kenwood, but it is nice to know that I have a box of throw-away radios if needed. Wouldn't be surprised to find the Chinese are building the Japanese radios in the same factories as Baofeng anyway.

Gigaparts has the FT 60R with drop in charger AND a LiIon battery pack for $130 right now....20 times the radio for twice the price. - GONE

Now they have an Alinco for $130 with the drop in charger, and Li Ion battery...

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Gigaparts has the FT 60R with drop in charger AND a LiIon battery pack for $130 right now....20 times the radio for twice the price.

Thats actually a pretty good deal. When I got my FT 60R, I paid more and got less accessories.

That being said I have both the Baofeng and the FT 60r, as well as a few others. I can tell you that while the quality of the baofeng is much lower than the others. Having a 30 dollar radio that I can throw into my truck, lose, or in my back pocket while walking around... the baofeng is a great radio for the price.

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just an update, All but one of the 7 Boafengs I have purchased are still in operation today. The radios I spoke about in my December 2013 post are still plugging along nicely. I have replaced batteries, built a few homemade packs etc. The Radio sitting to my left as I type this was purchased January 18, 2013 and is still kicking, original battery too. The one that met an early demise found it's way under a lawnmower. I had placed the ill-fated UV-5R in the cupholder, and it must have wanted to end it all, as it leapt without my regard to the ground. On the next pass the whirring blades of domestic drudgery located it and promptly reduced the hapless radio to unrecognisable shards of polymer and smoke. It's brethren wept briefly, dried their screens and marched proudly on, providing me with many years of active service.

Top Bottom