• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Just received this from our tea party group.

In May, Indiana passed a bill that prevents local governments from making gun laws more restrictive than the state's. In June, the South Bend Parks Department wrote a letter objecting to this law and started lobbying the state to modify the law so people with permits would be prevented from carrying guns in South Bend parks. (You can see their opinion in a "Viewpoint" article in the Saturday, August 13 Tribune.)

The local 2nd Amendment Patriots, wrote a response and presented it at their Park Board meeting earlier this week. Their report, including mention of efforts to similarly ban weopons from the County-City Building, appears below
    (copy of their letter attached), along with an invitation to their next meeting.

This is being forwarded to you because gun possession is a basic right. Do we want to lose it?

Forwarded from Second Amendment (2A) Patriots:

Len was able to attend the South Bend Park's Board meeting yesterday.

He was permitted to read the attached document out loud and to give written copies to everyone on the board. A copy of the document is attached. As you can see, we didn't pull any punches. Hopefully people at the state level will become aware of this effort by local politicians to defy state law.

The board responded with "deer-in-the-headlights" looks and blank stares at one another. They had nothing to say and thanked Len for his presentation.

Looks like they will now have to resort to the "sneaky, underhanded" mode to accomplish their mission. We have expert politicians in St Joseph County that are very good at this.

Note that the St Joe City-County Building has now been renamed to the "City-County Courthouse Complex" in an effort by our local sheriff to circumvent State Law. There is NO courthouse in the City-County Building. Three of our local politicians (judges) are in on the scheme also. Oh, well this is St Joe County -- we're accustomed to crooks in politics.

There will be a meeting of the 2A Patriots North next Tuesday Aug 30th at 6:30 PM. The meeting will be held at the new Kodiak Firing Range & Training Facility, Inc in South Bend.

The address of the firing range is:

Kodiak Firing Range & Training Facility, Inc.
    4611 S Burnett Dr.
    South Bend, IN 46614
    574 299-8000
    www.kodiakrange.com

Mr. Michael Zimmerman, President of Kodiak Firing Range has graciously offered a place for the 2A Patriots to meet. This is a really great facility with a good meeting room, two firing ranges of 10 lanes each and a tactical "shooting house".

If you like, you may bring your guns and use the range after the meeting. Please be advised however that the range requires frangible ammo. This is a good idea because the range uses steel targets and there is steel sheeting on the walls. The range does sell frangible ammo if you need some.

This is a really great range and I am excited for the fact that South Bend finally has an indoor shooting range. It is a great facility that fills a need for a place to practice and for tactical training.

Please visit the range's web page at: www.kodiakrange.com

This is going to be an important 2A Patriot meeting also. Len and myself will be filling you in on the latest effort by the "anti-gun" people to deprive us of our constitutional rights.

Please try to make the meeting -- you won't be disappointed with Kodiak's facility.

See you then.

Dennis Whittaker
    tbsdes@galaxyinternet.net

Forwarded to you by:

Citizens for Common Sense, Inc.
    PO Box 226
    Granger, IN 46530
    Ph.
    (574) 272-7606
    www.CitizensforCommonSense.info

This is the text of the letter read at the meeting:

To the South Bend Parks & Recreation Board and all interested parties:
    A recent letter from the South Bend Parks & Recreation Board raises serious concerns
    about the Board’s understanding and/or attitude concerning a bill recently passed by the
    Indiana Legislature. Although the letter does not refer to a specific bill number, it is
    assumed by inference that the board is referring to Senate Bill 292.
    In the letter, the board goes on to misrepresent the nature and intent of Senate Bill 292. The
    letter infers that the legislation will soon open the floodgates to crazed, anger-driven,
    unstable, hateful gun “nuts” that will be shooting individuals in the parks. This is a
    fraudulent, deliberate effort to misinform and create an atmosphere of hysteria for their
    benefit.
    Senate Bill 292 merely says that the State of Indiana has precedence when it comes to gun
    carry restrictions and local politicians can’t create laws that conflict with state law. That is
    the law – pure and simple. For the park board to accuse state legislators of permitting
    gunfire in the parks is a deliberate lie to promote the Left’s Anti-Constitution Agenda (Both
    the Federal and State of Indiana’s Constitutions).
    The letter goes on to explain that the board “strenuously objects to allowing fire arms . . . in
    the parks”. WHERE HAS THE SOUTH BEND PARKS & RECREATION BOARD BEEN FOR
    THE LAST 150 YEARS? This is approximately how long it has been since License To Carry
    (LTC) holders have been permitted to carry concealed fire arms in the parks.
    So where is the problem? During all these years there is no record of any LEGAL LTC
    holders EVER being involved in any violent acts IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF INDIANA. All
    incidents of criminal behavior involving fire arms in the parks have been from criminals
    carrying guns illegally.
    Of course the park board letter fails to mention that there are individuals who have a legal,
    legitimate right to carry fire arms. Some individuals that come to mind are Law Enforcement
    Officers and Indiana License To Carry (LTC) holders. The board intentionally lumps these
    law-abiding individuals with the anger-motivated, insane, crazed hot heads that are a
    figment of their imagination in the letter. This is a deliberate attempt to portray all
    individuals who carry fire arms in a slanderous and unfavorable light.
    The problem is with criminals who carry fire arms. Why doesn’t the Park Board understand
    that issue? I believe they do – they just want to deny the right of legal gun holders to defend
    themselves. This is consistent with the agenda of the Marxists that have taken over the
    Democratic Party. That is the whole reason for the hysterical anti-gun agenda.
    The last time the City of South Bend decided they were going to illegally restrict the rights
    granted by the Second Amendment and the Indiana Constitution they lost big time in
    Federal Court. If memory serves me correct, it cost the City of South Bend almost
    $450,000.00 in their effort to circumvent the Constitution.
    Senate Bill 292 merely prevents this type of foolishness by local politicians eager to​
    advance the agenda of the Left. Senate Bill 292 is a good law.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Great letter. South Bend sucks. I went to one of the 2nd Amendment patriots meetings when it was in the library downtown and hadn't really heard anything about it since. I remember it was a crazy cold, very snowy night that no one should have been out in, and yet the meeting room was standing room only.

If the meetings are going to be at Kodiak, I will try to make it a point to come again.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've been on the 2AP mailing list for a long time, but have never heard that there was a Northern group. I always wanted to attend the meetings, but didn't really care to drive to Evansville. I'll make every effort to make this one at Kodiak though.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    Yep, I'll definitely be going to the monthly meetings.

Yep....count me in each month. It was really nice to meet everyone on here and have such a great turnout. Definitely an informative meeting.

On a side note, as soon as I pulled out on my Harley after the meeting, I made it down to the light at Ireland and 31....Sure enough 2 of SBPD finest roll the cherries and pull me over after I passed in front of them as they rolled out of Lowes. I just kinda chuckled and pulled over.....Officer Doug something or another opens up his cruiser door and asks if I'm LEO....I said no and he said that I sure look like one. I laughed and told him I'm just a clean cut law abiding citizen that just left a 2nd amendment meeting and am within the law as I hold a LTCH. He said he has to ask me to see my license and DL. I gave him both without issue as he is being very laid back and polite about the whole stop. He looks at both real quick and hands them back to me. He said he is aware Indiana is silent on open/concealed and mentioned I wouldn't be bothered if I would just cover. I told him it is my preferred method of carry (especially in summer time) and I've never had a negative interaction with any police officers while doing so. We had some small talk about some of the officers I know on the force and then I asked him why he pulled me over. He said he has to check to make sure I'm licensed if he sees me carrying openly as I was. I kinda laughed and told him that I wasn't trying to be a smart allick, but wouldn't that be like pulling someone over when he sees them driving a car, just to see if they have a drivers license?....blank stare and then a smile from him. He said he appreciated me cooperating and to enjoy the weather on the Harley. Shook hands and parted ways amicably. Officer #2 stayed back by the hood of the cruiser behind me the whole time. Not a bad interaction, but sad that they felt the need to stop me while not doing a single thing wrong. Oh well....It didn't ruin a great night with like minded people.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Yep....count me in each month. It was really nice to meet everyone on here and have such a great turnout. Definitely an informative meeting.

On a side note, as soon as I pulled out on my Harley after the meeting, I made it down to the light at Ireland and 31....Sure enough 2 of SBPD finest roll the cherries and pull me over after I passed in front of them as they rolled out of Lowes. I just kinda chuckled and pulled over.....Officer Doug something or another opens up his cruiser door and asks if I'm LEO....I said no and he said that I sure look like one. I laughed and told him I'm just a clean cut law abiding citizen that just left a 2nd amendment meeting and am within the law as I hold a LTCH. He said he has to ask me to see my license and DL. I gave him both without issue as he is being very laid back and polite about the whole stop. He looks at both real quick and hands them back to me. He said he is aware Indiana is silent on open/concealed and mentioned I wouldn't be bothered if I would just cover. I told him it is my preferred method of carry (especially in summer time) and I've never had a negative interaction with any police officers while doing so. We had some small talk about some of the officers I know on the force and then I asked him why he pulled me over. He said he has to check to make sure I'm licensed if he sees me carrying openly as I was. I kinda laughed and told him that I wasn't trying to be a smart allick, but wouldn't that be like pulling someone over when he sees them driving a car, just to see if they have a drivers license?....blank stare and then a smile from him. He said he appreciated me cooperating and to enjoy the weather on the Harley. Shook hands and parted ways amicably. Officer #2 stayed back by the hood of the cruiser behind me the whole time. Not a bad interaction, but sad that they felt the need to stop me while not doing a single thing wrong. Oh well....It didn't ruin a great night with like minded people.

Troublemaker! ;)

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Takes one to know one......I seem to recall speaking just minutes before my stop about some guy and an interaction at a fair. Odd.....

I think Dennis and Len were pleasantly surprised with such a good turnout. Hopefully attendance grows every meeting.

I'll second that. Good meeting and very informative. Glad the stop went well even thought it's BS.

Nicely done!

Top Bottom