Stock Refinishing - The Process (a brief recap and tutorial)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Stock Refinishing - The Process (a brief recap and tutorial - pic heavy)

I posted a thread a week or so ago about refinishing stocks to get some input. After reading a few posts here and reading a bunch of results from Googling the same topic I went to Walmart, got some supplies, and started my first re-finishing job. As promised, here is the process and progress.

The rifle in question is a Remington 700 in .270 winchester with Nikon ProStaff BDC glass.

I don't consider this a job well done. It was half learning process, half materials experimentation. On a 1 to 10 scale, the end result came out to about a 7 or maybe 8 in the right light. It was a fun experience though, and I learned quite a bit - especially considering this is the first time I've ever refinished anything.

I did end up with a more matte finish than gloss, which is what I wanted. Sorry the pictures suck, I'm terrible at photography.

Original stock, and blemishes:
    WWBAmh.jpg

IKz70.jpg

xpwo3.jpg

Sprayed with a stripping agent:
    VuFnO.jpg

30 mins later - finish peeling off:
    2e2pz.jpg

Bare wood, after stripping:
    kxJr3.jpg

After some sanding:
    VeKcP.jpg

More Sanding:
    IDcgo.jpg

Washed with mineral spirits, then stained.:
    aWYt1.jpg

After 6 daily coats of hand-rubbed boiled linseed oil:
    6MT2z.jpg

jYHcW.jpg

KXaXp.jpg

kGLwf.jpg

Products used:
    • Sandpaper (150, 250, 350, 400 grits)
    • Mineral Spirits
    • Citristrip
    • Stripping pad
    • Min-wax wood finish stain & sealer.
    • Boiled linseed oil

Process Followed:
    • Strip with stripping agent, follow directions on can. Use stripping pad to rub off the rest.
    • Sand with 3 or 4 grits, getting progressively more fine, cleaning thouroughly between each grit (wipe down with mineral spirits)
    • Stain
    • Rub in a coat of boiled linseed oil by hand, each day for a week.

Lessons Learned:
    • Wear gloves. Stripping agents burn in cuts and scrapes.
    • There is no such thing as too much sanding. I did about half as much sanding as I should have, this is why the coat is uneven in places.
    • Use a VERY LIGHT coat of stain. Mine was sticky for days - I eventually had to rub it down with paint thinner and wash it in the tub to get enough excess off for it to dry properly.
    • Get a lighter color than you think you need. I used Red Mahogany 225. I wanted a little more red and less brown, but ah well.
    • This process takes time, patience pays off in the end.

:ingo:

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Thanks guys! I'll have to check out Danish Oil for next time. There are so many products out there to choose from, and it seems like every other person recommends a different one!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Thanks guys! I'll have to check out Danish Oil for next time. There are so many products out there to choose from, and it seems like every other person recommends a different one!

I like Danish as its a single applicant oil, more or less has the seed oil mixed in the stain, great for that matted look. Just one lazy man's opinion ;)

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Rayn -- Looks great !!! How did the checkering part go? I wanting to re-do my cowboy rifle and have it checkered; just not sure what order. Thanks, Grizhicks

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Great job ryan3030! I just refinished a rifle stock myself. I can definitely appreciate the hard work and patience you put into your project!

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Rayn -- Looks great !!! How did the checkering part go? I wanting to re-do my cowboy rifle and have it checkered; just not sure what order. Thanks, Grizhicks

Most tutorials I read said to tape off the checkering and not mess with it. I was too lazy to tape mine off, I just avoided it when sanding and it turned out fine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very nice! When I was a kid, my brother-in-law refinished his Mossberg 16 gauge bolt action with linseed oil and it looked like glass! I tried doing the same with my Mossberg 410 bolt action and even after probably 20 coats of oil it never got that glass-like finish. Of course since I was probably only 13 or 14 at the time, I probably wasn't patient enough.

Top Bottom