Old rifle - Tear down, cleaning, refinishing. Tips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I recently bought a Remington 700. It's an older model with a nice wooden stock, raised cheek piece, etc. I've dissembled it for cleaning because it's pretty filthy. I'm probably going to refinish the stock too, because it's pretty beat up.

I had planned on sanding it down and either using wood stain + lacquer or checking out Duracoat.

Two questions:

1. Have you refinished a rifle? If so, do you have any recommendations as to what I should do/use? Any pointers in the process would be appreciated as well.

2. Is there anything I should do to the rifle while I have it dissembled to enhance the rifle? Any tips to maybe improve the stability of the action in the stock, etc?

Thanks!

Last edited:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    1. Never done it. Can't help you there.

2. You could glass bed the stock to increase accuracy of the rifle. It's not a hard thing to do. There are many helpful videos on YouTube to help.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Larry potterfield from Midway has a ton of great little how to videos on Youtube. Sniff around here ...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzfUPNOF35I[/ame].
    Here is his for glass bedding...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMsxHL3nIZQ[/ame]

...and free floating...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0snATO8iJw[/ame]

"...and that's the way it is."

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Strip the finish off the stock, don't sand. Once it is stripped clean use a hot iron and a wet rag to steam out any dents, it may take several tries to raise the dent. If there is cut checkering you can get a proper cutter and go over the checkering to sharpen it up. Instead of sanding it is much better to use a scraper, if you don't have one pieces of glass work very well and you simply cut a new edge on the glass when it dulls, you can also easily cut curves in the glass to better match stock angles. Stain using your favorite, and I recommend using Tru-oil as a finish, it takes many coats to build up but will come out beautiful in the end whether you want it shiny or satin and it doesn't scratch white which is a plus and can be touched up at a later date without a problem.

Free floating the barrel and bedding the action are both things that are in the realm of DIY

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Refinishing a gunstock

Strip the stock with a strpper from any of he local stores. Then get a Birchwood Casey refinnishing kit. That's what I did on my Russian capture Mauser. Search for my mauser project I posted pics. I would also be happy to offer my services to refinnish for you! I love doing it.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For a nice walnut stock.
    1. Mild stripper
    2. sand 100 grit with grain
    3.wipe down with mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol
    4.Let dry
    5.sand 180 grit with grain
    6.wipe down again with m/s or r/a
    7.let dry
    8.sand w/ 220 with grain
    9. repeat 3&4
    10. repeat 8
    11. stain if desired
    12. Get a good rub in stock finish and follow directions.
    Notes: Sand by hand, dont use a power sander. Be careful not to take much wood off where furniture attaches (ie trigger gaurd, etc.) If you have checkering stay away from it with the sandpaper. Let the stripper work and use a stiff brush to clean it up.

You could also run to the library or buy a gunsmithing book, that might help you out.

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    Once you get the stock ready to finish, I would use Tru-oil. it is designed to be built up over several coats. I use just enough to cover and then I take it off with steel wool. Repeat until desired finish is achieved. To add depth, I polish with rotten stone and baby oil.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Tru-Oil is great, for staining the wood before the Tru-Oil I use Pilkington Spirit Stain, the Brown-Gold ends up looking about the same color as the older Remington but I prefer the English Red, gives that reddish brown common on English guns.

CLASSIC SPIRIT STAINS - Brownells

ingostock1.jpg

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Well I did most of the work yesterday. The coat of stain I used is drying now. After I get it stained and sealed in the color I want, then finish it with linseed oil I'll post up some pictures and instructions detailing the entire process from start to finish.

:ingo:

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    :+1:for the Tru-Oil. Very easy to work with and makes for a great finish. I refinished this 10/22 with Tru-Oil. I have also use it on knife handles and a few of my other woodworking projects. One of the best finishes for walnut I have found.
    1022sept009.jpg

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    the Birchwoodd Case kit contains everything you need Stain, Tru-oil and some pumice stuff which I did not use. Afte using a 50% diluted walnut stain i then finnished the Mauser with with the tru-oil rubbing out the finnish with 000 & 0000 steel wool this is the result.
    completed7.jpg

completed6.jpg

completed5.jpg

completed3.jpg

completed2.jpg

completed1.jpg

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Thanks for sharing pictures guys, those all look great. I'm pretty sure mine won't turn out anywhere near that good as it's my first attempt at refinishing anything, so it's a learning experience as well.

Quick update here, the stain finally dried and I'm on day #2 of hand-rubbing on coats of boiled linseed oil. Next week I should be able to re-assemble it and take the final pictures.

Afterwards I'll post up a brief tutorial for anyone else wanting to do this, and progress pictures of every step along the way.

Top Bottom