• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have a dilemna...I really want to try an AK, probably a cheap Romanian WASR, I have never shot one or owned one...but I have the bug, BAD:cool:
    I have an SKS that I picked up cheap and refinished. It shoots great. I'm thinking of selling it to fund the AK purchase, will I regret it? Or should I keep saving pennies and be patient? I guess what I'm asking is: which is better/more fun?
    Thanks for your input.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They both put the same size holes in things, I like shooting my AK's more but the SKS has its place. I used to enjoy shooting my SKS from a bench, the slimmer profile made it easier than the AK. I like the AK mag setup and pistol grip better for sure.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Do NOT get rid of your SKS, I have the Norinco SKS pictured below and a Yugo 59/66 SKS and "had" a Romanian WASR 10. The AK below was a pre-ban WASR AK with a 10 shot single stack mag that sold for under $200.00. I opened up the mag well and turned it into a double stack and junked the cheap rear butt stock. I then upgraded it to a pistol grip with a normal butt stock.

Both SKS shoot better than the WASR in the accuracy department and are a "better" carbine type rifle. (and built like a tank) The AK is built for spray and pray and the Romanian WASR was a little crude and lacked refinement. (POS)

If you want to have cheap fun gun get a Ruger 10-22 and blast away and you won't have to clean up a gun that has been firing corrosive ammo that didn't hit what you were aiming at to begin with.

ske-ak.jpg

The same Chinese Norinco SKS dressed up for the Prom below and the Yugo SKS. I'm in the process of putting a volquartsen trigger in my new 10-22, its scoped and is more accurate than any of these other Commie lead slingers. And yes I go through unsatisfied yearnings for other firearms. :(

IMGP7156.jpg

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I love my SKS's. And with the 10 rd box magazines, I don't blow through ammo as fast. The only AK I own is a Mini-draco. I just don't see an immediate need for me to get an AK when I have SKS's that do the same thing. If you can afford both get both. If you want to sell your SKS, then sell it and buy another one later.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would say if you can keep from selling the SKS dont sell it. They are a fun rifle, both rifle shoot the same round, and there value keeps going up. I would just try an save up an get the AK

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have a dilemna...I really want to try an AK, probably a cheap Romanian WASR, I have never shot one or owned one...but I have the bug, BAD:cool:
    I have an SKS that I picked up cheap and refinished. It shoots great. I'm thinking of selling it to fund the AK purchase, will I regret it? Or should I keep saving pennies and be patient? I guess what I'm asking is: which is better/more fun?
    Thanks for your input.

I know people swear by the WASRs but, if you are going to sell the SKS save the money and by an Arsenal. Otherwise keep the SKS and save. :twocents:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    +1 for keeping the sks, ESPECIALLY if looking at WASRs or something similar. I would keep the SKS, and save every penny until I could find a Yugo AK (even the century built Yugos seem to be okay...) and have fun with both. Getting rid of an SKS would be regretted very soon I think. Good luck with your decision!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I too have thought about selling my SKS..for a little but, decided my SKS was accurate, reliable and fit my needs even though I "wanted" an AK but had everything I already needed in a rifle platform in my hands.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I bought an "evil" black rifle that started this mess. LOL...then the SKS....and it just seems fitting and necessary to have a classic looking wood stocked AK next to them. I have heard very mixed reviews on the AK, such as inaccurate,unreliable,etc....also heard "so simple a child can run it" I guess I need to bum one and shoot a mag or 2 thru it to help my decision

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I bought an "evil" black rifle that started this mess. LOL...then the SKS....and it just seems fitting and necessary to have a classic looking wood stocked AK next to them. I have heard very mixed reviews on the AK, such as inaccurate,unreliable,etc....also heard "so simple a child can run it" I guess I need to bum one and shoot a mag or 2 thru it to help my decision

Being inaccurate is relative to the quality, AKs are known for reliability. A little bit of research will turn up a lot of reviews on AKs and what to look for in each type/manufacturer of AK. Do some research on the different types it will save you some money.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for your input.
    Keep the SKS and save for the AK. You'll have sellers remorse if you let the SKS go. I've never sold any gun I've had, except a Muzzel loader that I got tired of cleaning after 10 shots, used that money for my Ruger P95. You'll apreciate it more, and you won't have that "I wish I hadn't sold that gun" syndrome that so many people have!

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I am in the same situation as you. However every time I go to sell my SKS it always comes down to is it worth it. Most dealers won't even give you half of what the gun retails for even if it has never been fired. So I just keep every gun I have and just save and wait. Next up for me is either The Grendel or Beowulf.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have both SKSs and AKs and like them all. I prefer the stipper clips to the mags for the same reason that Stainer says. Stripper clips can be very quick and you don't have a rifle that's dependent on detachable magazines to function. The longer sight radius of the SKSs tend to make them more accurate too.

But, a good quality AK is a great rifle. I don't know that I'd trade an SKS for a Wasr 10 unless I could shoot it first. There are some great Wasr's and there are some questionable ones. One thing to consider is getting a Saiga in 7.62x39 and then modifying it down the road someday. They are a high quality AK but come configured as a modern day SKS. You can enjoy it like that now until you collect enough parts to do the conversion, and when done, you'll have an excellent quality AK. It's one of the few (maybe only) ways into a new production authentic Russian AK. IIRC, Arsenal starts with Saiga receivers in their builds.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    there a family you have to keep them together i love my sks and i love my ak's

That's what I'm thinking....they both shoot the same round...they could be "friends":yesway:
    I actually just looked at several AK's at dunhams in Richmond...a double stack, a single stack (i do have access to a mill) and a 74....but it was a side folder...not my cup of tea

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    love my sks and my ak .......don't sell the sks you WILL regret it .......just save up for an ak, but NOT a wasr, i have owned 3 and didnt care for any of them (stamped crap) .....now i own a milled receiver polish model 1960 and love it , feels/looks/shoots smoother........they cost a bit more than a wasr but well worth it

Top Bottom