• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Nice vid. I enjoy the SCAR, great platform.

I have a love/hate relationship with the charge handle though. Love the visual indicator, but hate when you slip up and it bites your hand if your grip on the fore end shifts to the rear. Field strip and cleaning is easy as hell, and detail stripping is easy also. Great weapon system! +1 for the SCAR (IMO).

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    Good review, thanks for sharing. I had never heard about the barrel offset issue. I still haven't even gotten to get my hands on one. Still don't know if I would choose one of these over a piston AR?!?!

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    SCAR16S

I just picked up a SCAR 16S a couple weeks ago. I got the black version as I prefer the "evil" look. I've only shot about 400 rounds through it sadly. The recoil pulse is softer than that of a DI AR. It has performed flawlessly with one issue due to a weak magazine spring. I've ran a mixture of different ammo through it.

The charging handle is a pain. I'm looking into getting a replacement and have tried both sides to no avail. I still have a bruise from where the handle hit the tip of my thumb. Great rifle though. Haven't had a chance to really test anything more than the function. Hoping to get out and test the accuracy soon.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Good review, thanks for sharing. I had never heard about the barrel offset issue. I still haven't even gotten to get my hands on one. Still don't know if I would choose one of these over a piston AR?!?!

It's not so much an issue... I would check the front barrel support with a magnet and see if it's steel. (remove barrel and it's on the farthest point to the front of the 6:00 rail...) FNH put aluminum front barrel supports in the rifles. They warp easily if the barrel screws aren't installed and staggered when torqued, much like lugnuts on a car. There is a fix, FN has steel front barrel supports. The trick is to make sure those barrel screws are hand tightened then staggered as you torque them. But if I bought a SCAR, I'd replace that barrel support if aluminum, make sure the recess on the 6:00 rail for the front barrel support isn't warped, then verify torque on the barrel screws, again staggering as I tighten. It's an easy fix.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    How can you say it's "not so much an issue" when it requires replacing parts, checking warped parts and checking to see if what you have is aluminum or steel?

Sounds like an issue to me, especially after spending $2500 for a rifle.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    How can you say it's "not so much an issue" when it requires replacing parts, checking warped parts and checking to see if what you have is aluminum or steel?

Sounds like an issue to me, especially after spending $2500 for a rifle.

...because I think it's an easy fix. If you don't want a SCAR based on the barrel support issue, don't buy one. I'm just offering my advice.

The way I see it, someone sells you a SCAR for a discount because the barrel offset is Effed up, use the money saved to fix the rifle, if you even have to pay for it.... and have a SCAR that YOU know is good to go, because you know it has the proper barrel support. :twocents:

Like I said, I'm not arguing, just lending my professional advice.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Good review; looking forward to part 2.

I got to shoot the SCAR-16S a bit at a class this summer and my first impression was "underwhelmed". To say nothing of the tri-color scheme on the FDE guns, the half-painted mags, and the canted barrel issues - sloppy, and inexcusable at the price point, IMO.

And how 'bout that utter lack of parts and support from FN? Woo-hoo! If I wanted to be ignored, I'd buy an HK. ;)

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    ...because I think it's an easy fix. If you don't want a SCAR based on the barrel support issue, don't buy one. I'm just offering my advice.

The way I see it, someone sells you a SCAR for a discount because the barrel offset is Effed up, use the money saved to fix the rifle, if you even have to pay for it.... and have a SCAR that YOU know is good to go, because you know it has the proper barrel support. :twocents:

Like I said, I'm not arguing, just lending my professional advice.

...or you can listen to the advice of others such as myself and look for the flaw before you buy. :)

If I had an issue with a new rifle, I would let FN repair it so I didn't muck up my warranty. If I bought a rifle out of warranty and just discovered the issue, I would likely take your advice.

My point is, it is an issue as the problem can make it impossible to zero the rifle and would likely confound an unsuspecting new owner.

Thanks for the tip though.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    ...or you can listen to the advice of others such as myself and look for the flaw before you buy. :)

100% agreed

If I had an issue with a new rifle, I would let FN repair it so I didn't muck up my warranty. If I bought a rifle out of warranty and just discovered the issue, I would likely take your advice.

My point is, it is an issue as the problem can make it impossible to zero the rifle and would likely confound an unsuspecting new owner.

Thanks for the tip though.

Welcome. I agree totally with you, the barrel issue is quite troublesome. That's why sites like this are such a great resource to gun enthusiasts. Your review covered some great points, some great advantages of the rifle system, and even hit on some points on what to look out for when buying a SCAR 16. :yesway::yesway:

I'm just always willing to lend advice and info when I can. :ingo:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good review. I've had the pleasure of shooting a similar weapon (older, with the almost Gold colored upper) with an ACOG. I'll have to say that I'm very impressed with the handling, and when compared to my M&P15, could tell I was dealing with a rifle that was a generation newer in design. Some nice upgrades in ergonomics, and I like the charging handle that can be operated with the weapon shouldered with the shooter maintaining a cheek weld.

Something you may be already planning to cover in part 2 is the tendency to have FTF issues when running standard design p-mags. The day that I shot the SCAR we could only get reliable feeding from GI mags or the E-mag version of the Magpul p-mag.

Top Bottom