Another SHTF choice: Mosin or 20ga shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you buy?

• Total voters

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Trading my 870 house gun off this weekend for another 9mm to help Cathy and I work toward achieving our goals of having common handguns. The 870 was originally intended to be house gun/shtf gun, with no other real purpose. Hadn't really planned to shoot it much, except for some practice. A couple problems surfaced with the concept, though: First, I enjoyed shooting the shotgun quite a bit, and taking it hunting, and the gun is limited for that purpose, though quite good within those limits. Second, neither Cathy nor Sean can use the gun particularly well, the gun is just a bit much for them, especially the reach for the forearm.

The original plan was to then buy a Mossberg 500 20 gauge combo with field barrel, 3 chokes, and a ported slug barrel. This would give us two shotguns for close range power, not to mention two very versatile hunting guns. We can all use the guns well, they have similar controls, we'd only have to maintain spare parts for one type of gun, only have to buy one kind of ammo to stash away. Was going to skip the slug barrel due to the cost of ammo, but after coming across Federal's Powershock sabot rounds for only $7 a box, I can see spending that for hunting and setting some aside for slightly longer range fighting if needed.

So far, so good.

BUT, it's occurred to me that I can buy 1 Mosin-Nagant rifle and a buttload of ammo (plenty to stockpile, and plenty to shoot for fun) or 2 Mosins and a little ammo.

Currently, for SHTF use we have handguns for each of us, .22 rifles for each of us, a 20ga shotgun.

For shtf and "real life" purposes, advantages of adding another 20ga as I see them are:
    1) We've got two quite powerful and easy to use close range fighting guns, useful both for shtf, and home defense.
    2) We've got two guns capable of delivering accurate and powerful hits out to 100 yards, maybe a bit more as long as we have sabots for the slug barrel.
    3) We've got two guns we can use very effectively for small game hunting, important in both emergency situations and our "normal" lives. Though the .22s do serve quite well for this, and are our preferred guns.

There aren't quite as many advantages with the Mosin. It does add a capability that we don't currently have. It gives us a powerful long range gun, and some countersniper capability. If forced from our homes, our main goal is to NOT get into a fight, and if we do to try to make as close range a fight as we can. One does not always get a choice, though. If we were forced into a long range fight, and couldn't close to within at least a hundred yards, we'd be screwed with the shotguns. With the rifle/s, and our current capabilities, we could engage at least 250 yards out. It also gives us a decent gun for longer shots on coyotes, and a good hog hunting gun. In other states, it's also quite a good deer cartridge. The downside is it isn't really suitable as a house gun, at least not in our current location, and as such wouldn't even be kept loaded in the home.

Cathy has learned to tolerate recoil better, though she still says she sees a second Mosin for her as mostly a fighting gun, and not one she'd shoot much for fun. I do think she'd enjoy it more with lighter bullets than she's had the chance to shoot. She does like the idea of having her own fighting gun, and just loves the history behind the guns. Hence, why we are juggling whether to buy one or two Mosins. The long range plan is for us to all eventually build our own AR15s, but that project won't even start until next year, and will take quite a while to complete. The Mosin makes a perfectly serviceable fighting gun should we need one in the meantime.

As far as not quite so "practical" pluses to the Mosin: We both like them, Sean and I think they are true fun, and we'd kind of like to have one or two LOL.

So, what do ya'll think?
    The 20ga Mossberg 500 combo, 1 Mosin and lots of ammo, or 2 Mosins and some ammo?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    after having taken a couple different mosins to the range, i would never trust my life to it. most of them are 70 year old frankenguns that were built in third world factories to begin with. fun for paper, not so much for "omg that guy is trying to kill me and now i need to use this to defend myself."

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    after having taken a couple different mosins to the range, i would never trust my life to it. most of them are 70 year old frankenguns that were built in third world factories to begin with. fun for paper, not so much for "omg that guy is trying to kill me and now i need to use this to defend myself."

Agreed.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'd go ahead and get the shotgun for now. You can pick up a Mosin and a case of ammo for less than $200 total when you have the extra. But of course you could also start an AR build with that as well with a lower, LPK and possibly also buffer tube and stock if you can find the right kit/price. And at that point you're halfway to your AR. But for now I'd get the shotty, and save up from there to either snag a mosin and ammo or start the AR build.:twocents:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    ill float you $40 at 25% interest. :D

but how much better would you feel having that(or something like it) leaning against the wall instead of a mosin?

prob with that idea is, he then doesn't have the money to buy a bunch of ammo to feed it. What good is a gun without the ammo to feed it and also in that case optics to put on said gun. :twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    ill float you $40 at 25% interest. :D

but how much better would you feel having that(or something like it) leaning against the wall instead of a mosin?

Better, honestly, but I can't afford the gun, much less any reasonable supply of ammo. While SHTF planning isn't the sole consideration in our gun purchases, it's become a very important one. Hence, the choices in this thread. We've already got a goodly amount of 20ga, and can get a decent starter amount of 7.62x54R with the guns.

Like I said, long term the plans are to have ARs, but something that "will do" in the meantime would be nice.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Shotgun! Keep the ammo the same. Good for hunting or home defense. The wife and kids can handle it better. Maybe you could even pickup a third barrel and have it cut down to 18-20 inches. Might as well have another practical gun. Don't get me wrong a Mosin would be fun, thought about getting one myself. But realistically most people are not going to run around with a wife and teenage boy fighting zombies with heavy bolt action rifles. The 20 gauge on the other hand is about as versatile a firearm as you can own.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Better, honestly, but I can't afford the gun, much less any reasonable supply of ammo. While SHTF planning isn't the sole consideration in our gun purchases, it's become a very important one. Hence, the choices in this thread. We've already got a goodly amount of 20ga, and can get a decent starter amount of 7.62x54R with the guns.

Like I said, long term the plans are to have ARs, but something that "will do" in the meantime would be nice.
    sks? its still not a cadillac by any means, but at least its not a pinto.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    are we talking HD gun? or shtf in general?

HD obviously shotgun. get a mosin too and jerry rig the bayonet to the shotgun :D

my mosin is great. i havnt done too much accuracy testing on it but it shoots great.

the pros of having a mosin is you can get hundreds of rounds of ammo for cheap. i got 440rds surplus for under $100.

but mosins do start to hurt after a while. and if ur family has some trouble reaching the forearm than a mosin might be somewhat awkward because of its length.

i would probably go with a solid shotgun. i have the 500 combo you mentioned except in 12ga. i love it. it is my main go to gun if shtf.
    that and my remington 700 in .308 and my glock 23. (that way i have all ranges covered :ar15:).

if your not going to shoot it much and keep it for shtf go with the shotgun. cause trust me once you start shooting a mosin pretty often its hard to stop.;)

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    If we get the shotgun, an SKS will probably be a few months behind if I find one at a price I like.
    im a big proponent of the buy once cry once philosophy though. id look at it like, if i can save $300, i can save $400 and so on. imo, youre well enough equipped right now to sit tight for a little while and build up your scratch to get something you plan on keeping in the long run instead of something youre going to use to fill a gap.

i think indymonkey might be receptive to you prostituting yourself to him. $50 a pop and youre looking at about a month until youre buying an assault rifle.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think you already made your decision. Get the 20 gauge. I have the same one your talking about. And the only reason why I still have it is because my wife can shoot it. She hates the recoil, but can use it when have to. It's the go to gun in the bedroom.

Get this, ammo, and get your AR's later when your able.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think you already made your decision. Get the 20 gauge. I have the same one your talking about. And the only reason why I still have it is because my wife can shoot it. She hates the recoil, but can use it when have to. It's the go to gun in the bedroom.

Get this, ammo, and get your AR's later when your able.

Actually, yeah, pretty much. About the only way I can justify the Mosins now is if we can convince ourselves the Mosin meets SHTF needs adequately... the real reason is we all want at least one LOL.

Still, the shotgun is just practical in so many ways, and actually fits in with our longer term plans.

Still, they are kinda, you know.... ordinary :D Maybe I'll skip the combo, and get a camo version just for some "cool" factor, though it doesn't really serve a practical purpose. Aside from esthetic enjoyment.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I voted Mossy. I just don't think an old bolt gun would be the idea choice. I hear they are great for what they do, but it would have very limited usefulness. Also, for counter sniper, I think when you realize you need to take them out it's too late. If not, then by the time you find them, it's surely too late (unless they're just a really bad shot, in which case you should just keep moving IMO.

Top Bottom