• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I gave up collectibles when I finally sold my childhood sports card collection years ago.

These are cool and all, but if it doesn't do X, Y, or Z better than its currently manufactured counterpart, it's not worth a dime more to me. I think if you spend more than a certain amount on a tool, you're often afraid to use it.

That said, if you've got the money and it blows your hair back, more power to you.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The comments were very interesting.

I also went there very quickly after checking out the article...

I don't know that I could spend that kind of money on something like that. Obviously it's not my thing, but holy crap $15k on one of those!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm with Lex on this, I love to look at them, and I think they are very cool and would be a sweet visit to a museum somewhere, but I would not want to own something like that I can't shoot. It is like Jim Irsay with all of his guitars. I'd love to see each of them, but have no desire to own any of them (nor could I afford any of them!).

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Wow I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a non-NFA firearm. $15k for an AR9? I'll build one that out performs it at a 1/10th of the price.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As a person who loves vintage firearms, many of them collectible, many of them that get shot on a weekly basis......I would like to offer another opinion other than the "My latest plastic wonder gun can do more than that and if a gun can't do x,y, and z then why bother?"

Some firearms are appreciated for the "What they have done? Where have they been? What they represent in history?" rather than the "What can they do for me right now?"

To me firearms, (along with knives) walk the fine line between history, function, and art....I am not stupid...I KNOW a 2010 Toyota Cambry will get me from Point A to Point B more efficiently than a 1957 Ford Pick Up truck.....But the question begs....Is it really "better"?

History, beauty, and class can be as relevant as efficiency IMHO.......

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have never really drank the Colt Kool-Aid.
    They are fun to look at, but for that kind of money I would buy much more practical things in life, like a car or truck.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I appreciate the historical aspects of collectable firearms.... Seeing how we got to our current spot is cool and all, just not my cup of tea. Rather get a FA.

More power to people that can spend that kind of coin.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As a person who loves vintage firearms, many of them collectible, many of them that get shot on a weekly basis......I would like to offer another opinion other than the "My latest plastic wonder gun can do more than that and if a gun can't do x,y, and z then why bother?"

Some firearms are appreciated for the "What they have done? Where have they been? What they represent in history?" rather than the "What can they do for me right now?"

To me firearms, (along with knives) walk the fine line between history, function, and art....I am not stupid...I KNOW a 2010 Toyota Cambry will get me from Point A to Point B more efficiently than a 1957 Ford Pick Up truck.....But the question begs....Is it really "better"?

Well spoken.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana

I agree, to hold a weapon that has been there (where ever there is). The way I always looked at it is you can go to LGS/walmart/? and buy a gun just like the one right behind, it or you can buy a piece of history.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Most guns go bang, even HiPoints, some appreciate in value.

That being said, I doubt most of us would live long enough to see a return on investment with these. :dunno:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    "Colt letter on order", yeah and the check is in the mail and I'll still love you in the morning. Sorry but I would be dubious of buying a firearm when such claims have been made and there is no letter with them.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have and it tastes delicious:rockwoot:After dealing with higher end ARs i.e. Noveske, BCM, LMT to name a few, I keep finding myself coming back to Colt.

I own a 6920, it is a nice rifle no doubt, I was just trying too say I'm not a die hard Colt fan boy.
    I consider the 6920 to be a mid level AR.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Depends on what you want out of the car, for warranty coverage and likelihood of a breakdown yes a newer car is somewhat better. However they all drive exactly the same (numb, delayed, expected, safe, protected) and look like ****, all just variations on the same formula and features list. I like to ride my (not new) motorcycle and drive older cars because the experience is significantly more enjoyable: I can feel feedback through the steering and the seat, the engine does it's thing when I hit the skinny pedal (not after the computer thinks about it and decides my request to open the throttle is satisfactory), I don't feel like I'm sitting in a pillbox visibility wise. On top of that, I strongly prefer to drive stick and quite frankly, new manuals just aren't designed to work well (possibly even designed not to work! but I won't get into that rant unless prompted). This spring I traded my '12 for a '03 and opted for a non-turbo specifically because the turbo engine for the Subaru Bajas uses an electronic throttle while the non turbo has an old fashioned cable. Another case is that my '94 F-body really isn't that much slower than a '14 F-body on the autocross course but is a lot more fun to sit in and drive. I've also autocrossed my '70 Beetle, dirt-drag-raced my last truck, overload the crap out of my trucks, put as many miles as possible on the wife's Prius (she does value simple operation, reliability, and warranty therefore I do as well in the interest of domestic harmony), etc.

Notice though that my argument revolves around usage, not rarity or historic significance. OK I paid a bit more than the original price of the Beetle (appearing at first to be appreciation of value) but if you look at inflation over the same span I still paid under MSRP.

Not to knock those people who do find truly rare or historic items in condition to truly appreciate value, I just don't find value in doing so myself.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    A friend of mine has a SP1 with a 3 digit serial number. Perhaps he should make up a label ending in "Colt letter on order" and parade it around a gun show! I'm with OakRiver on the letter deal.

Top Bottom