• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Have a threaded takedown model coming in and I am looking to make a fun rifle for my youngest boys. The dog still needs to hunt though. Any upgrades I may want to look at first?

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Forgot to put it in there, but yes, that's going on too. Huntertown is only twelve miles from my house. Need one for another build I am working on too.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    A silencer

Stupid 18" barrel turns my sub sonic ammo with Gen 1 sparrow into a loud mother. I don't even shoot it because of this.

I mean, who in the world would make a take down rifle with a 18" barrel? Furthermore, the stock is big enough for a 7' tall man to shoot in an exaggerated weaver stance.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Have a threaded takedown model coming in and I am looking to make a fun rifle for my youngest boys. The dog still needs to hunt though. Any upgrades I may want to look at first?

Volquartsen hammer. Auto-bolt release. Recoil buffer. Maybe a set of Tech-sights, vs. a scope.

Best thing you can do to the 10/22 is train the person holding it, though. I'm personally biased toward Appleseed for that part.

Blessings,
    Bill

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks a lot Bill. New to the 10/22 so this is going to be fun for the boys and myself. Hoping to get them out this summer and teach them a little more. I would rather them plink with this than my 30's Rem Model 12a.

Going mg to keep irons on it, but it's going to get a Vortex Rimfire 2-7.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You're in for fun with the modification game. The ones I named are all DIY fixes, which is a really cool feeling when it's all done. I also like an extended mag release, personally, but that's just a preference thing.

I'm told a BMF Activator is fun, but I was never able to get it to fasten on correctly and work. Also, if I was doing the suppressor thing today, I think I'd get the one that allows you to use an oil filter as your baffles, with the connecting piece as your registered part. It's called the "econo can".

Just sayin'.

Blessings,
    Bill

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    No oil filter for me. I looked up most of those parts and this site showed parts that would turn my cheap plinker into a very expensive rifle I wouldn't want to take out of the safe.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Thanks a lot Bill. New to the 10/22 so this is going to be fun for the boys and myself. Hoping to get them out this summer and teach them a little more. I would rather them plink with this than my 30's Rem Model 12a.

Going mg to keep irons on it, but it's going to get a Vortex Rimfire 2-7.

I went with the same scope on my take and really like it. The rings I put on it, put the scope too close to the barrel. I lost the take down option due to the rear sight hitting the scope when trying to take down. I'm looking for a low profile quick disconnect scope mount to fix it up right.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No oil filter for me. I looked up most of those parts and this site showed parts that would turn my cheap plinker into a very expensive rifle I wouldn't want to take out of the safe.
    Midway has the VQ hammer I mentioned for $36, the recoil buffer for $10. The auto bolt release is a mod you can do to your gun in a half hour with a dremel, and that's if you've never taken the action apart before... majority of that time will be in disassembly and reassembly. Or you can just buy that part for $11.50.

They also have the hammer and the bolt release as a "kit" for $45. I put a scope on mine, not tech sights. Most of that is personal preference, but I have seen and heard good things about the techsights.

The bolt release allows you to just give the bolt a quick tug and let it ride forward, rather than the three-handed trick you have to do to release it without. The new hammer takes the trigger pull from about 8# down to about 2# or so. The recoil buffer just makes it a little quieter and also keeps your bolt from slamming back into the metal pin that's sitting there now. (I figure if you're considering making changes, you should know what they'll do! Please forgive if it sounds like I'm patronizing or otherwise talking down to you, that's not my intention.) The 10/22 is a fun rifle, and I know you'll have a great time teaching your boys to master it. Also, the changes I recommended (other than as noted) are things I've done and would do again if I had another 10/22, without hesitation. Hope that helps you make your decisions.

Blessings,
    Bill

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    the recoil buffer for $10.

No offense, but one of the biggest rip offs ever. About 12 years ago I bought a 9' piece of that from a local plastic shop for a few bucks. Cut it up in sections and have given it away at local ranges and M&Ss over the years. Have a piece of it still in my orig 10/22 with several thousand rounds through it. ;)

Agreed, that bolt release mod is the way to go.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Midway has the VQ hammer I mentioned for $36, the recoil buffer for $10. The auto bolt release is a mod you can do to your gun in a half hour with a dremel, and that's if you've never taken the action apart before... majority of that time will be in disassembly and reassembly. Or you can just buy that part for $11.50.

They also have the hammer and the bolt release as a "kit" for $45. I put a scope on mine, not tech sights. Most of that is personal preference, but I have seen and heard good things about the techsights.

The bolt release allows you to just give the bolt a quick tug and let it ride forward, rather than the three-handed trick you have to do to release it without. The new hammer takes the trigger pull from about 8# down to about 2# or so. The recoil buffer just makes it a little quieter and also keeps your bolt from slamming back into the metal pin that's sitting there now. (I figure if you're considering making changes, you should know what they'll do! Please forgive if it sounds like I'm patronizing or otherwise talking down to you, that's not my intention.) The 10/22 is a fun rifle, and I know you'll have a great time teaching your boys to master it. Also, the changes I recommended (other than as noted) are things I've done and would do again if I had another 10/22, without hesitation. Hope that helps you make your decisions.

Blessings
    Bill
    Bill, I have no knowledge on the workings on the 10/22, so I am taking it all in. I know about AR's, not these so every bit of advice and help is appreciated.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I went with the same scope on my take and really like it. The rings I put on it, put the scope too close to the barrel. I lost the take down option due to the rear sight hitting the scope when trying to take down. I'm looking for a low profile quick disconnect scope mount to fix it up right.
    I seen a rail with sight built in called Ace in the Hole, comes with a raised front sight and the factory rear sight could be removed, and fitted with a plug I bet.

Top Bottom