• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I am now finished with the planning stages of my 1000 yard gun.
    It follows as such.

Rifle: Savage 10P 20" Heavy Barrel
    I must get the barrel threaded for the
    Muzzle Break: PWS FSC30
    Which will really eliminate the Optic from coming off target, and the
    Optic: Bushnell Elite 6500 4-30x50
    Which will set inside of the
    Rings: 6 Hole Weaver Tactical Rings
    But what would all that be without a good
    Base: Weaver Extended Multislot 20 MOA Scope Base
    And what would all this be without a proper
    Bipod: GG&G XDS-2 Tactical Bipod.

I may or may not add an extended mag to it at a later date.

What say you INGO, does this sound like a decent build. I would like to hear your opinions, perhaps someone can educate me on the subject of a successful 1000yd .308 rifle.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Seems I remember some where i read/saw a gun smith lap the rings on a 1000m gun to increase scope ring contact for a better seat to squeeze every last drop of accuracy out

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am now finished with the planning stages of my 1000 yard gun.
    It follows as such.

Rifle: Savage 10P 20" Heavy Barrel
    I must get the barrel threaded for the
    Muzzle Break: PWS FSC30
    Which will really eliminate the Optic from coming off target, and the
    Optic: Bushnell Elite 6500 4-30x50
    Which will set inside of the
    Rings: 6 Hole Weaver Tactical Rings
    But what would all that be without a good
    Base: Weaver Extended Multislot 20 MOA Scope Base
    And what would all this be without a proper
    Bipod: GG&G XDS-2 Tactical Bipod.

I may or may not add an extended mag to it at a later date.

What say you INGO, does this sound like a decent build. I would like to hear your opinions, perhaps someone can educate me on the subject of a successful 1000yd .308 rifle.

I would personally dial back the zoom a little. By dialing back the zoom to something like the 2.6-16 you will have more than enough zoom to reach 1000 yds, but you will have alot more internal travel. The scope you chose has 50moa of internal travel, so in a perfect world you would have 45moa with your 20 moa base. It never works like that in the real world, and you MIGHT not have enough travel to reach 1000 yds with that scope. The 308 has roughly 39 moa of drop at 1000yds, so your right on the line.

Outside of that bit of advise your setup sounds great

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    The magic of photoshop?

I would go with another scope as they say the bushnel is blurry at that range,like a sightron or leupold or if you want the best then a March
    Rings I use are Burris signature zee rings with the inserts.
    Best bipod for pone is a sinclair or use a bag front rest.
    Are you building this for F Class?
    For 1000 yard rifle I would go with the 260 rem with a tight neck chamber,Garry Viet a muti time state champion used a 260 tight neck and its a BAD A$$ cartridge for that range.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would go with another scope as they say the bushnel is blurry at that range,like a sightron or leupold or if you want the best then a March
    Rings I use are Burris signature zee rings with the inserts.
    Best bipod for pone is a sinclair or use a bag front rest.
    Are you building this for F Class?
    For 1000 yard rifle I would go with the 260 rem with a tight neck chamber,Garry Viet a muti time state champion used a 260 tight neck and its a BAD A$$ cartridge for that range.

Ive ran the Bushnell elite 6500 a few times, and its not blurry. It doesn't not have the best glass in the world, but its defiantly adequate for his task, but the 260 is my favorite caliber in the world.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I've been itching to pull the trigger on a setup very similar to what you are talking about....a Savage 10-??? in .308 that would be capable of getting to 1000 yards, but more often than not @ 400 and less. I'm a firm believer in getting exactly what tickles your fancy, but here's what I've come up with after doing some homework.

.308 is a great all-around cartridge, but far from optimal at 1000 yards. You'll want every bit of velocity, and thus barrel length you can get, so that narrowed it down to the 24" barrels. I do like the 20", but if you truly want 1000 yard capability with a .308, you'll be looking for every advantage you can get.

If there's one thing I don't like about the Savages, it's their standard synthetic and accustocks. Cheap and ugly, but generally functional. If you are going with a heavy barrel, you aren't likely going to be lugging it around, so a heavier target/tactical stock like the 10 FCP- McMillan or 10 FCP-HS Precision fits the bill. I love the McMillan, but it isn't pillar bedded out of the box, where the HS Precision is. I don't like the McMillan $200 + a glass bedding job more than the HS Precision, so that's what I've decided on.

If you are dead set on a threaded barrel and 10 rnd DBM, and not so much on a nicer stock, then the 10 FCP-SR fits what you are after pretty close, except 24" vs 20" barrel, and straight base vs. 20 MOA. 21st Century firearms up near your area had a couple in stock a few weeks back...worth checking into.

Again, I can be particular on my stuff too, so get what you want. This is just what I've come up with in the last couple of months of homework on a rifle similar to what you are considering.

Good luck!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Like i said, this is still just in the planning stages. And it is not for a dedicated 1000 yard shooter, I just want to be able to go to youngs and perhaps hit there 24 inch ringer at 1000 yards every now and then. But I do want the capability of doing it. The closest other range I have to be in only like 500 yards.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your plans sound good to me. It doesn't sound like you will be shooting in the Master class with iron sights, so I say build it, shoot it, and have fun.

You won't be shooting against me with your stick.

I am really curious why you think a hi-cap mag is needed for a long range rifle.....? The stiffness of a single shot action is desired by everyone that I know..

The 308 with 175's or 190's is certainly viable at 1000 yards.

Last edited:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Your plans sound good to me. It doesn't sound like you will be shooting in the Master class with iron sights, so I say build it, shoot it, and have fun.

You won't be shooting against me with your stick.

I am really curious why you think a hi-cap mag is needed for a long range rifle.....? The stiffness of a single shot action is desired by everyone that I know..

The 308 with 175's or 190's is certainly viable at 1000 yards.

Just because I want it. I have no illusions about this, the number of times I will be shooting 1000 yards a year will prolly not be more than 4. But I can shoot at 500 yards many times a year.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .308 is a great all-around cartridge, but far from optimal at 1000 yards.

This.

You'll want every bit of velocity, and thus barrel length you can get, so that narrowed it down to the 24" barrels. I do like the 20", but if you truly want 1000 yard capability with a .308, you'll be looking for every advantage you can get.

But especially this. ^^^

Top Bottom