• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Looks like Highsmith Guns is going to attempt to move their gun shop and add a range. The building they want to acquire is in a historical district so they will have to get approval from the city's historical board and the city zoning commission. IMO it's doubtful it will get approved but I hope it does. I have a personal range but it would be nice not to have to drive to indy in the winter time.

The Father - Son duo are also certified trainers and will be offering classes. Currently they host their classes on their private range or rent time at other ranges. I think it would be a great addition to my growing community.

Greenfield Daily Reporter - Highsmith Guns would expand into former home of Greenfield Office Supply

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I really want to see this happen. I only shop with them and have been out shooting with mark several times. Maybe with enough support from customers and the fact that the building has been vacant for so long it'll happen.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I haven't shopped at their current store a whole lot. I buy most of my guns from private parties. I don't know them personally but everything I've heard has always been good.

It is a great building but I'm not so sure its in the right location. If they found something closer to the interstate they would probably have a better chance at getting it approved. I think the biggest issue they are going to face is the post office next door. For some reason those crazy post people don't like guns.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I haven't shopped at their current store a whole lot. I buy most of my guns from private parties. I don't know them personally but everything I've heard has always been good.

It is a great building but I'm not so sure its in the right location. If they found something closer to the interstate they would probably have a better chance at getting it approved. I think the biggest issue they are going to face is the post office next door. For some reason those crazy post people don't like guns.

They are always friendly when I go in there but haven't seen anything I just have to have yet. I can't picture any buildings downtown that would seem to be big enough for a store and range, also to renovate an older existing building would seem to be more trouble than its worth.

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If any of you are interested they'll be having a meeting at the county building to try to get this done. It will be Tuesday at 7:00. As much as I'd love to be there to show my support I work two jobs and will be unable to make it. They have already said they expect a good turn out of customers maybe a few more will help. Spread the word!

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    If any of you are interested they'll be having a meeting at the county building to try to get this done. It will be Tuesday at 7:00. As much as I'd love to be there to show my support I work two jobs and will be unable to make it. They have already said they expect a good turn out of customers maybe a few more will help. Spread the word!

Thanks for the info! Im going to try and make it.

They are always friendly when I go in there but haven't seen anything I just have to have yet. I can't picture any buildings downtown that would seem to be big enough for a store and range, also to renovate an older existing building would seem to be more trouble than its worth.

If youve been in town for a while its the old skating rink building, more recently it was an office supply store. The building just south of the post office.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    I'd like to see this happen. While I only make it home to Hancock Co. around the holidays, it would be a nice addition for us. I can't make the meeting but will let my dad know - he lives in New Pal and would love an alternative to that place at Post and Washington, as would most of us. I went to school with the son, would be happy if it worked out for them!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I was there, and testified. It was approved, but it is still a VERY long proccess with many more hurdles to get over.

It was approved with certain contigancies that still have to be met.

There were around 5 people from the community there in "opposition". None of them really had anything bad or anti gun to say, or even spoke against it, they just brought up some concerns that were addressed my Mr. Highsmith and others that were there to speak on his behalf.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Some of the concerns addressed were

Noise: Pretty much up to range construction, and was also rebuttaled by myself and somone else saying that you cannot hear guns being fired from the parking lot at popguns which has much thinner walls.

Fire hazard: or explosions more or less, I countered that explaining the differance between smokeless and black powder, and bullets needing to be in a barrel to be propelled. I think my IFD credentials helped w/ people understanding that I was speaking from a first person perspective

Saftety: pretty much the citizens were concerned about firearms accidently going off in the parking lot. Mark did a good job explaining that in his 26 years in the biz this has not happened, and the whole point of coming to the range is to learn safety so stuff like that doesnt happen

Property values: the zoning staff countered this one saying that local business's were not a criteria for establishing value. also countered by mark saying that zoning had already approved a tatoo parlor and liquor store in the same area

Traffic: again zoning explained that the existing plan was satisfactory.

the meeting was around 2 hours long, and because of the number of people there to speak each person was only given 3 minutes to speak.

this is by no means a done deal, but it is a big step in the right direction

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Ihave known Mark and Shane (the son) since i was 5. Shane and I played 3 sports together and graduated HS together, they are very knowledgeable, and prices are very good in their store. I have been wanting to go through a couple of courses with them, since i have never been through a course before. from all that i hear, it sounds like everything is in motion and no road blocks yet.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I live in Greenfield and was personally glad to hear about this.

With Greenfield growing in population, the areas a person can go to safely practice with their firearms has been shrinking.

Hats off to the Highsmiths....may your business boom (no pun intended).

Top Bottom