Grip, external, trigger, or no safety at all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Are we talking defensive pistols only? If so I prefer no safety, or trigger safety at most.

If it's just a range toy then I'm a little more forgiving.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I like a double action trigger. Either DA/SA or DAO. No need for a safety then. I always felt that a safety on the trigger was like putting the car's brake in the middle of the gas pedal.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm fine with frame mounted safeties that operate as a 1911 one does. I prefer shooting a single action trigger with a frame mounted safety, but am usually carrying a Glock for practicality. A Glock trigger does not bother me but I do appreciate a tuned trigger. How I carry a particular gun really depends on that gun. For CZs, I carry with the safety off and hammer at half cock, which gives an almost identical trigger feel to a tuned Glock. 1911s are cocked and locked and Glocks are whatever you call Glock carry. 'Ready' maybe?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I switched from Glocks to Taurus because I wanted an external safety. I saw the story of a guy who shot himself in the hip when his holster folded into the trigger guard. It activated the trigger safety and fired as he was entering the front passenger seat. I realized it was a rare thing, and was an equipment failure due to negligence (failure to maintain the holster, or replace it), but I came to the conclusion I wanted that external safety. It only takes a nano second to flip that safety with the thumb. Just seems a wise precaution to me.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I switched from Glocks to Taurus because I wanted an external safety. I saw the story of a guy who shot himself in the hip when his holster folded into the trigger guard. It activated the trigger safety and fired as he was entering the front passenger seat. I realized it was a rare thing, and was an equipment failure due to negligence (failure to maintain the holster, or replace it), but I came to the conclusion I wanted that external safety. It only takes a nano second to flip that safety with the thumb. Just seems a wise precaution to me.

This is why I dig the grip safety on the Springfield XDm. Keeping your thumb on the back of the slide (off of the grip safety) when holstering and no worries of an ND. Plus, I have never had a problem with pulling the trigger and it not going bang. The grip safety has a very natural engagement, at least for my grip on the gun.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    For a defensive pistol, no external safety or trigger safety is my preference and what I've settled upon as a carry gun. M&P's or Kahrs, and occasionally a revolver.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I dislike grip safeties and thumb safeties on defensive handguns. I need a drop safety. I'm OK with passive safeties that Glock and M&P utilize, though I prefer the M&P's version of trigger safety.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    For me it's a matter of form factor and use. Striker fired I only want internal passive safeties for defense. On a hammer fired, 1911 or similar, I have no issue with the thumb or grip safety normally seen. I don't know why I have this intense dislike of external safeties on striker fired pistols, particularly since for non-defensive purposes I like the 5.25 xdM but it's just the way I'm built. A magazine disconnect that I can't readily bypass like in a Ruger MKIII is a flat out NO.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have had safeties fail twice, therefore I refuse to carry a gun with anything other than a trigger safety at best.

So, if safeties fail, of coarse anything mechanical can fail, what if the trigger safety fails and the trigger cannot function? Has this been considered? Has this ever been observed? I had not thought of this this before, but it seems like a reasonable question.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    I posted earlier that I had pulled the trigger on a buck yesterday, but left the safety on. Click, bye bye Mr. deer. It's amazing what you forget after a surge of adrenaline. I only own Sig handguns: DA/SA. No safety for me.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My 2 cents:
    My my first pistol was a DAO P95. No safety. Kept it in a holster that covered the hammer. Second pistol is a Glock, so there's a trigger and hammer block. There was a comment made earlier that it's like putting the brake in the middle of the gas pedal. I think it's more like putting the e-brake release in the middle of the pedal. I played with my Glock at the range trying to see how hard it actually is to "miss" the trigger safety. It's very hard to do...

In a real situation, you won't have time or reaction to take the off. Safetys only prevent a discharge from a moment of stupidity. Not only should you treat every gun as it's loaded, you should treat every one like the safety is off.

My whole line of thinking is this. You want the gun to go bang when you pull the trigger, and only when you pull the trigger. That's one why I chose the Glock. The only safey I need is me.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    So, if safeties fail, of coarse anything mechanical can fail, what if the trigger safety fails and the trigger cannot function? Has this been considered? Has this ever been observed? I had not thought of this this before, but it seems like a reasonable question.

anything can fail including your ammo. I'm not betting my life on a safety that has to be shut off by means af another action like flipping it off with a thumb, nor a grip safety that you have to hold it a certain way in order for the gun to fire. It you are in close contact with a bad guy and he graps your gun and tries to take it from you you may not have contact with the grip safety in order to fire your gun. It may work well for others but it's just not for me.:twocents:

Top Bottom