• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Seems to me that one of the best-kept secrets in handguns (IMHO) must be getting a push in the market from somewhere. I recently posted about the pricing I'd found on the FNH FNS at Midwest in Mishawaka, and in that thread I found that others had been seeing similar pricing at other locations - but not everywhere.

I picked up a new FNS 9 with night sights, 3 mags, no manual safety (although they do offer them, not that I'd want one), lifetime warranty, etc., for $459. I searched through the threads about this gun on INGO and there wasn't a ton of info I could see - just a smattering here and there - so it looks like its been under the radar of a lot of folks. I wonder if there's a push from FNH or something (the equivalent of dealer cash in the automotive biz?) , since the prices are low in multiple locations, and now I'm seeing recent videos by Hickok45 and Cory and Erika here on INGO.

In my opinion this gun beats Glock - there, I said it - and I have been (and continue to be, btw) a fan of Glock. But Glock has been resting on its "Perfection" laurels for too long. While I realize there's something mentally about the "new thing", the FNS fits my hand better than Glock or M&P with better texture on the grip, has a great sight picture out of the box, has capacity on par or greater than most of the competition, ambi controls abound, and seems "just right" in size.

Anyone else seeing this upsurge? Anyone else have FNS experience to comment on?

GLOCK BEATER. (There, that oughtta start something :) )

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Having horsed with and given the literal mechanical complexity of it, I don't see it as a "Glock beater".

It's a nice pistol, don't get me wrong, but I'm not seeing departments drop their Glocks, Sigs or M&Ps for FNS in the near future. Given what local dealers want for them as well, I don't see them filling too many holsters amoungst locals either. Sure, you will find reviews and such, but nothing earth shattering.

That said: They are VERY Gucci, nice pistols.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Having horsed with and given the literal mechanical complexity of it, I don't see it as a "Glock beater".

It's a nice pistol, don't get me wrong, but I'm not seeing departments drop their Glocks, Sigs or M&Ps for FNS in the near future. Given what local dealers want for them as well, I don't see them filling too many holsters amoungst locals either. Sure, you will find reviews and such, but nothing earth shattering.

That said: They are VERY Gucci, nice pistols.

I'm not obtuse enough to believe its the only thing out there, don't get me wrong. I don't see much difference mechanically between the FNS and Glock, I'll admit, and it seems to be built more robustly.

To each their own, of course. Just kinda curious what the sudden (?) upsurge on a what, two years on the market, high cap gun with great features could really be attributed to. Why hasn't it gotten more attention until now, and what's causing the attention increase?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm not obtuse enough to believe its the only thing out there, don't get me wrong. I don't see much difference mechanically between the FNS and Glock, I'll admit, and it seems to be built more robustly.

To to each their own, of course. Just kinda curious what the sudden (?) upsurge on a what, two years on the market, high cap gun with great features could really be attributed to. Why hasn't it gotten more attention until now, and what's causing the attention increase?

On the first part: Good. Local boards tend to have the "I just bought XYZ pistol, why are so many people loving them or why aren't police/military/secret squirrels using them?" Yours didn't have that. :)

Mechanically, there are MORE parts in the FNS. Try taking apart the striker assembly, you'll find what I mean.

As for "recent fame": Boredom maybe? People have more choices than ever! But also, if you sell two pistols as opposed to 1 last year, that could be considered a "swell in interest". They are nice though!

The FNS are more ergonomic (in my hand at least) than a Glock, but after shooting both, I'll stick with my G19: More parts, easier to obtain parts, cheaper and more prolific magazines, etc... The basic Glock design remains unchanged where FN decides to change from the FNP-9, to the FNX-9 to the FNS-9 with only a few similarities twixt them. I can take most parts from a Gen 1-4 Glock and fit them into a Gen 1-4 Glock (most parts, not all however).

I'm not bashing the FNS, but have no real reason to migrate to another platform that's larger and less option oriented than other firearms.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They're nice pistols. We had a rep drop a couple off for us to test and they shot well. I thought they felt and shot pretty similar to the H&K USP pistols. I didn't find that they offered anything that our Glocks did not nor did they do anything particularly better than the Glock, just different. I wouldn't steer any one away from one provided it fit their need and the accessories they wanted were available but I wasn't blown away by them either. As with most weapons the majority of the decision to own comes down to personal preference.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    What's quite funny to me, in a "let's jump on the bandwagon" sorta way, is almost IMMEDIATELY after Hickok's posting I see one from RangeTime (Cory07ink). On armslist there's now a "trade my glock for an FNS" listing, and on the FN forum a member who said he had a G34 all spec'd out and ready to go now saying he's ordered an FNS long slide instead. And a new article in Combat Handguns on the long slide...

as I said, increased interest seems to be coming on...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Sure can see where they (FN) got their design ideas eh?

okay, Glock started it (not really), others have taken the design and modified or copied to some extent, granted.

"perfection" seems to be modified by most users almost before it gets home, though, with different sights, mag release, slide release, trigger, death ray, etc....

so everyone's tweaking the design to some extent, it seems

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm still quite intrigued by the FNS/FNX line. At the usual prices I've seen around Indy (+/- $600 depending on night sights), I'm kind of agreeing that they don't do anything my G19/G23 can't already do well. But if I were to see one locally at the recent Midwest sale prices, I would be extremely tempted to try one out! I've watched Hickok's recent video as well, and was impressed at his praise for the one he evaluated.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I'm still quite intrigued by the FNS/FNX line. At the usual prices I've seen around Indy (+/- $600 depending on night sights), I'm kind of agreeing that they don't do anything my G19/G23 can't already do well. But if I were to see one locally at the recent Midwest sale prices, I would be extremely tempted to try one out! I've watched Hickok's recent video as well, and was impressed at his praise for the one he evaluated.

I'll be the first to admit they weren't on my radar much until the price dropped. Then, after purchasing and looking at this thing further, I'm shocked I've not heard more about them - hence my post. At the price I paid they're an incredible value - and now, after owning it, I'd probably have to look at one hard even at regular prices.

At $459 with 3 mags and night sights it was a no-brainer.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I'll be the first to admit they weren't on my radar much until the price dropped. Then, after purchasing and looking at this thing further, I'm shocked I've not heard more about them - hence my post. At the price I paid they're an incredible value - and now, after owning it, I'd probably have to look at one hard even at regular prices.

At $459 with 3 mags and night sights it was a no-brainer.
    I have a FNX40 and love it. It's a great shooter and is my desk/night stand gun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As with most weapons the majority of the decision to own comes down to personal preference.

Wise man say, when it comes to guns, the subjective is objective.

The FNS won't "beat Glock" until they get aggressive and get sales reps from Bass Pro/Cabela's/Gander Mt., etc. into the strip clubs at SHOT, or start greasing Second Unit directors in Hollywood to get the pistol into movies!

Strip clubs and movies move guns. I mean I know FNH got in a big video game (IIRC Call of Duty) but that is just future sales. To increase the cash flow need to work Hollywood harder.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Wise man say, when it comes to guns, the subjective is objective.

The FNS won't "beat Glock" until they get aggressive and get sales reps from Bass Pro/Cabela's/Gander Mt., etc. into the strip clubs at SHOT, or start greasing Second Unit directors in Hollywood to get the pistol into movies!

Strip clubs and movies move guns. I mean I know FNH got in a big video game (IIRC Call of Duty) but that is just future sales. To increase the cash flow need to work Hollywood harder.

i agree, seems hugely to be a marketing fail - not the hardware.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I know a lot of people like to stay with 1 specific brand to increase muscle memory Ect. But I think that a couple different firearms is FUN, and increases your flexibility, Not that jumping from M&P to Glock will get you much but from a firearm with a safety and different controls, Ect. would make you a more rounded shooter,

Also I don't like "not liking" something out of ignorance, I've been know to buy something to try it for a year Just to see what all the hype is about. I'm not rich but I am a planner and schemer, I'll find a niche and exploit it.

I say if it's mechanically sound, and you shoot well with it, Go for it. (highpoints excluded) just don't jump on the soapbox and castrate someone for liking another brand

Top Bottom