• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    I am thinking about buying a Glock 19. Have wanted one for years and now I think I am ready to "pull the trigger" (lol, a little humor there). I would like some opinions on whether I should buy the Gen3 or the Gen4. Obvously both awesome choices. Just don't know if I want to save the $40 and buy the Gen3 or go with the newer Gen4. Don't necessarily like the stippling on the grip of the Gen4 but could overcome that. What are your thoughts.

Thanks!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It really comes down to how it feels in your hand. I prefer the Gen 3 (have a G19 and G26, both Gen 3). 1 extra mag (Gen 4 comes with 3, vice 2 in Gen 3) makes the cost pretty much a wash. I carry 1 spare mag, I you plan to carry 45 rounds vice 30 go for the Gen 4.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Gen 4. For the extra cash you do get an extra magazine ( the Gen4 ships with 3), oversized magazine release button and the back strap to better customize the fit of the gun. The Gen 3 is a great choose but after shooting and owning both for a while I really prefer the Gen 4 changes.

Either would serve you well for decades but I would go for the Gen 4 personally.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They both rock! I'd say the Gen 4 is worthy of a new purchase, but I love my Gen 3 too much to let it go anywhere. They both run great, if you like the grip on the 4th gen better get it!

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I have both,like both but prefer the grip on the Gen.4. Like the choice of which firearm is,"the best", it is always a matter of personal preference.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    My next Glock will be a Gen 4. The more and more I pick them up the more I like their texturing, it seems to have more grip at least to me. You can't go wrong either way in my opinion.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i find the mag release harder to effect on gen 3s. that alone is worth the money. supposedly the gen4 handles recoil better due to an upgraded spring but i dont notice much difference.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I still have a couple of Gen 3s but the Gen 4s seem a little more receptive to trigger work, especially if you want to use all the factory parts.
    Glock says the Gen 4 RSA will last longer but I'm not convinced of that at this point. Which ever feels better in your hand is always the best choice.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    I went with both, gen 4 17 and gen 3 32c . I've owned the 32c for 6 years or so and The 17 for 6 or 7 months. Both have functioned perfect but due to how accurately I shoot the 17, it's my favorite of the two at the range. Of course the 32c usually gets carried and I love the way it shoots so it is probably my favorite. No the 17. I mean the 32c. No wait.........

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm all Gen 3, so I may not be the best source, but I would not let the cost difference be the determining factor as the 3rd mag for the gen 4 handles a portion of that.

If you intend to carry against your skin (i.e. IWB just under a Tshirt and the RTF directly in contact with your skin), you might consider the texture when making your decision. Other than that, the Gen 4 improvements should be of benefit.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I love my G4. Darnest thing I noticed though. WIth a trigger job in it and the G3 I have, the 4 has a tiny bump I can barely feel before the final takeup. I like it better than the totally smooth pull of the G3! It doesn't add tot he weight, but I feel it just as if I'd staged the trigger for the final take-up.
    I may get a G4 trigger set for the 3 and 'detune' it the same way.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Whichever is most comfortable to you! I would recommend shooting one of each to see which one feels better in your hand!

The wife and I have a pair of Gen 2 Glocks...and love them! They come w/o the finger bumps...but that's why we chose them!

hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I had the same question couple months ago. If it is only $40 difference, I will take Gen4, because of the extra mag, the new recoil spring, and the extra back strap (they might be a good asset when you resell the Glock, better than nothing). :patriot:

I am thinking about buying a Glock 19. Have wanted one for years and now I think I am ready to "pull the trigger" (lol, a little humor there). I would like some opinions on whether I should buy the Gen3 or the Gen4. Obvously both awesome choices. Just don't know if I want to save the $40 and buy the Gen3 or go with the newer Gen4. Don't necessarily like the stippling on the grip of the Gen4 but could overcome that. What are your thoughts.

Thanks!

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    For me personally, the Gen 4 made all the difference, the every so slight reduction in the grip made it fit my hand much better. The larger magazine release and everything else is just a bonus.

Top Bottom