Does anyone make a "gun safe" for vehicles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    My car doesn't have a locking glovebox or console and even if it did, I'm not sure I would feel right leaving a handgun in there. Anyone with a screw driver could pop it open.

Is there something like a gunsafe I can install? Preferably bolted down to the floorboard.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, it's a hatchback... no trunk.

Sims

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Fishers
    You could go with a GunVault Nanovault with the steel cable. Cable the vault to your seat and store it underneath.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Always think of what the weakest link would be in a product. Steel cables are easily cut, then they can take your box and pry it open in the privacy of their own crib.

EDIT: Ilooked at the product you were looking at and noticed it has a 3 dial tumbler lock. Those tumblers are the easiest locks to pick.

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    I have one that fits in my glovebox and cables to my latch for the glovebox. It is a smaller one that locks with a key. My XD.40SC fits perfectly with the 10rd mag but if I have the 13rd mag in I have to take it out. They both still fit just not with the mag in the gun. A bigger gun wouldn't fit.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I use this: Stack-On | Products | Portable Security Case with Combination Lock

It has a steel cable that loops around the base of my seat and then the other end locks inside the case. Its thin enough that I can slide it between the driver's seat and console so its hardly noticeable. I only use it when I have to but it's alot better than shoving my handgun under the seat.

i have one of these as well. rarely use it tho. the concerns are all valid, however, most thieves are looking for a quick score and don't bother checking under seats, or carry bolt cutters.
    its a risk yes, but a diminished one. we all know that NOTHING will stop someone that is determined, but locked doors keep out the majority of the riff-raff.

for more secure solutions, i'm working on some prototypes. first out the gate will be replacement consoles for silverado trucks, then avalanche/tahoe kit. i'll work my way down into individual, mounted boxes at some point or another.

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    I use a cabled gun vault brand, it works but not the most secured, thinking of getting this Toyota Tacoma Floor Console: 2005 - 2013
    I have read a few reviews that they bolt in and fit nice, of course size of console matters for what size pistol you can hold. I have herd a report that it held but a robber destroyed the rest of the console presumably after they found the safe they tried to get into it by screwdriver and hammers but it held. If you have an expert with real tools they are going down but than would most other things you could make. They are a little $$$ at about 275ish but a good custom fit option IMHO. (I am not affiliated with them, just read a lot about them on my truck forums)

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I have a gun vault with a short metal cable. I had to take the seat out to place it, but it is in there and only way it will be cut is by taking the seat out. I use it about once or twice a month. Usually when I have to go into no no zones.

I recommend taking the time to secure it right if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term. That hour it took to secure it was worth my time. Just my point of view.

Cto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    I was just looking online for the GunVault Nanovault and Meijer has it online for $16 (originally $30). Free shipping to store. Offer is valid until 1/25.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    How about this?

Hide-Away | V-Line

201207211854290.1_hide_away.png

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Do you want PRETTY or SECURE??

The best/most secure place for a handgun is on your body..Now that's out of the way, the next most secure in your car/truck, is chained down.

Buy 2 feet or so of 3/8"-1/2" of hardened log chain, and a GOOD pad lock. Wise to get hose/tubing to cover the shackle of the lock to avoid scratches to your weapon. Can get this all at Lowes or Home Depot.
    Remove a seat track hold down bolt+bolt the chain to it. Most GM seat belt bolts can also be used too+they have a #50 or #55 Torx head, that not too many thieves carry around.

Lock up to your trigger guard+stuff under the seat. As secure+as cheap as you will get--Just not as PRETTY as some boxes...Bill.

PS:Be darn sure that the hold down bolt does NOT interfere with the operation of the seat track, or seat belt, if used.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Trigger guards, unlike hardened chain, are easily cut with large bolt cutters. They are soft metal.

If it's out of sight, though, it might not matter.

blitz91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Terre Haute, In
    look for tuffy products, theyre pretty much ubiquitous among "jeepers" because jeeps are notoriously not secure. boxes are made of heavy steel and can be bolted down pretty much anywhere in your car, and they can be ordered with cylindrical locks and double walled lid lips so theyre even harder to get in to. Tuffy Security Products

Top Bottom