• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow you're probably going to get as many opinions as there are people here. What do you want the back up to do? Are you looking for pocket carry? My first thought would be the xd-s already in the cal you have and reasonably small. I know some folks pocket carry it. After that maybe the Kahr PM45 single stack. If you want to move down in caliber the sky is the limit. :popcorn:

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I read a artical they tested a xd 9m and a glock and beat the hell out of both and the glock was kia but the xd survived to shoot another day, so does everybody have to have a glock? Whats so awsome about them?

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    My vote would be a S&W j-frame.

IMO, if you are in a situation where you need to use a back up gun than that means you are in serious trouble and you back up gun has to absolutely, positively work. And in my opinion no practical backup gun is as reliable or packs as big of a punch as a J-frame.

deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    IMO, if you are in a situation where you need to use a back up gun than that means you are in serious trouble and you back up gun has to absolutely, positively work. And in my opinion no practical backup gun is as reliable or packs as big of a punch as a J-frame.

I agree with pokersamurai. If you ever need to resort to your back-up ( especially if your .45 could get you out) then you want something that will be dependable and quick to use. I normally don't like the idea of carrying a wheel gun, but I have considered them as a good option for a back-up.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    BUG

XD Full size = Primary

XD SC = BUG

For me... XD40 4" and an XDSC 40 (which is really nice for a small gun). They take the same mags, and i have plenty in all the vehicles

chilly2477

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    I lhave a .38 5 shot snubnose I would like to call a "backup gun" but have to get another to carry before I can do that, been carrying for 5 yrs now and it is very concealable

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Are you asking for an alternative carry piece, or a back up gun?

To me, the definition of a BUG is a gun that you carry WHILE you are carrying your primary carry. For me, this means either in my pocket or on my ankle since my primary carry is going to be on my hip. My choice for this role is the Ruger LCP. If you're one of these .380 haters then get a small frame .38 revolver such as the LCR or a Smith.

If it's just an alternative for smaller carry, I agree that a XDS might be a good choice for you as it keeps you in the same platform.

Top Bottom