• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Can someone refresh my memory as to how many handguns one can buy over what period (from the same dealer) WITHOUT necessitating that the dealer fill out a multiple handgun purchase form?

Strictly for hypothetical, academic curiousity purposes of course.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    multiple handgun purchase reporting

Anything more than 1 handgun per 5 business days (days which that particular FFL does business) must be reported.

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.
    A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold.
    [18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3), 27 CFR 478.126a]

paburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Fort Branch,IN
    The only reason for the multiple gun sales form is to alert the atf if an individual is purchasing a large number of same or similar type of hand guns. As in them re-selling to folks who cannot legally purchase a handgun for themselves. If these are guns for yourself, not a common occurance and have no illegal issues it is not a problem. This is a way to track the bad guys. You can legally buy a hand gun and multiple long guns without the dealer having to fill out the mulitple hand gun form.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I bought 2 handguns today. They said they would have to fill out another form and it may look like a red flag but as long as I wasnt buying them for someone else or doing anything illegal I didnt have anything to worry about. I may try to trade in a shotgun I have for a P22, guess I'll wait 5 days, I dont want the FBI knocking on my door.

Top Bottom