S&W M&P Shield 9 Recoil Spring Problem!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FourFive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    NW Indiana
    First Post here (besides intro).

Yesterday I picked up a M&P Shield 9 for backup/ccw. I shot 150 rounds through it and was very impressed. Mostly impressed with the trigger and low amount of felt recoil. Weapon just handles recoil well, like it was a much larger gun. Anyway, to the problem...

Got it home and field stripped it to clean and noticed that the recoil spring was bent. see pics. I reassembled the weapon and now the slide will not come off. It is like the recoil spring is now out of position and is blocking the slide from coming off. Put it back together and called S&W. They have no knowledge of the weapon since its so new and are sending me a return label.

The only thing i can think of except that it is defective is that the recoil spring wasn't seated properly? Any thoughts or ideas? Needless to say I am extremely disappointed especially after being so impressed with the way it shot. Not sure if i trust it now. Have to see how S&W handles this issue.

Sorry pics aren't great, from camera-phone.

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    #1... Good work on being a beta tester for S&W...

#2... Good work on posting the photos

#3... Call S&W customer service tomorrow and let them know. Ask for a technician's email address so you can send the photos along.

I've not fondled one... Had you field stripped it / cleaned it before shooting it? If yes, is there any possibility that it was reinstalled in the wrong orientation?

-J-

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    S&W will fix you up in no time. I've had nothing but great experiences with them. I think this is just a teething issue because it's a brand new line of a certain handgun. When you get the gun back I'd trust it.

FourFive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    NW Indiana
    #1... Good work on being a beta tester for S&W...

#2... Good work on posting the photos

#3... Call S&W customer service tomorrow and let them know. Ask for a technician's email address so you can send the photos along.

I've not fondled one... Had you field stripped it / cleaned it before shooting it? If yes, is there any possibility that it was reinstalled in the wrong orientation?

-J-
    Thanks, as far as field strip/clean before I fired it goes. I did remove the slide in the shop but not the recoil spring or barrel. There is a rounded "cutout" where the recoil spring seats onto the barrel if it installed properly so i don't know how it could have come out. I'll update the status of this issue as it progresses.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks, as far as field strip/clean before I fired it goes. I did remove the slide in the shop but not the recoil spring or barrel. There is a rounded "cutout" where the recoil spring seats onto the barrel if it installed properly so i don't know how it could have come out. I'll update the status of this issue as it progresses.

Roger that.

I don't know if any of my current or formerly owned pistols' springs/rods would even go in backwards...but I guess it's always possible on something. Just wanted to rule that out as a possibility.

-J-

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    S&W will fix you up in no time. I've had nothing but great experiences with them. I think this is just a teething issue because it's a brand new line of a certain handgun. When you get the gun back I'd trust it.

:+1: on this. S&W service has been outstanding in my experience.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It sucks that this happened, hopefully it's a fluke. Do keep us updated as to how they handle it as I've been considering a shield myself.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Mine did something similar when I did the initial clean but I was able to use the protruding part of the guide rod to get it back into place. However you can see the differences in my Shield and 9c barrels - there's no cutout on mine to accurately set the recoil rod. This certainly seemed a bit odd to me, especially if you are saying yours is like the one pictured for the 9c. In my case, the rod would only be held solidly in place by the face of the takedown lever.

picture.php

I'm pretty sure between this and and the breech face issue mine will be making a trip back to S&W. I also measured my trigger pull at 7.25 lbs using an RCBS gauge. :(

FourFive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Update

OK yesterday I called and emailed S&W. The guy on the phone was just ok, he said he was going to ship me a return shipping label to return the whole gun.

Now the guy who returned my email was another story. He is shipping me out a new spring and said i should have it in 48 hours. I'll post an update when I receive the new spring.

FourFive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Mine did something similar when I did the initial clean but I was able to use the protruding part of the guide rod to get it back into place. However you can see the differences in my Shield and 9c barrels - there's no cutout on mine to accurately set the recoil rod. This certainly seemed a bit odd to me, especially if you are saying yours is like the one pictured for the 9c. In my case, the rod would only be held solidly in place by the face of the takedown lever.

picture.php

I'm pretty sure between this and and the breech face issue mine will be making a trip back to S&W. I also measured my trigger pull at 7.25 lbs using an RCBS gauge. :(
    You are correct, mine looks like the one on the left. Sorry if I didn't describe it correctly. I was just trying to point out that It wouldn't go in backwards. Thanks for the pics.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    You are correct, mine looks like the one on the left. Sorry if I didn't describe it correctly. I was just trying to point out that It wouldn't go in backwards. Thanks for the pics.
    Well then, I guess that means I've only got a couple of minor problems that need to be corrected. :rolleyes:

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Still waiting on a reply to an email about my front sight sent on Saturday and I'm a huge M&P fan.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Tagged. I wanna see how this turns out.

Some issues are to be expected with a first run of anything mass manufactured, whether it be a gun, car, ipad or whatever. No matter how much testing, some problems just pop up from mass production and people sometimes get it into a prediciment that they can't replicate in testing. I'm sure S&W will take care of you and quickly, especially with such a product that they have alot lying on...

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I'll keep an eye out for these issues, haven't experienced any with mine still and quite a few rounds in.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Still waiting to see if mine will have this issue. Haven't gotten it yet but either way, I'm confident it'll turn out alright. Definitely gives me something to keep an eye on :D.

I'm subbing this thread as well as some others have, would like to see how it progresses.

Top Bottom