• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Held one the other day in a store in GA.
    Any first hand experiences/critiques would be apprecited.

How's it compare to the Keltec pf9 or Tuarus 709?

Last edited:

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    The articles that I have read suggest that the trigger is not so great. I have had several PF-9's. Each time I sell one, I end up with another. Real hard to beat for the money.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I got that bug that makes me want to play with new stuff all the time. I get rid of something to get something else. I hope to get over it soon, I have a trail of regrets a mile long. My daily carry is a KelTec .380.

sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    what i like i about the lc9 is the external safety, it makes it much easier to pocket Cary with no holster in my eyes. and the trigger is not the best feature of the gun but after practicing with the firearm i can achieve decent groups at 21 ft

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have nothing but excellent things to say about Ruger in terms of the reliability, the functionality, and the value for the cost. I have the LCP and 10/22. They are both terrific guns.

To me, the LC9 is just a little big for what I'd like to see. I was disappointed when I first saw it. Haven't shot one though...

RedJester

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm looking forward to handling an LC9. I'm looking to upgrade my EDC from a .380 Star SS. I've been reading a lot of reviews of how the LC9 and the Kel Tec PF9, and from those I'm leaning toward the Ruger. I have a 10/22 and a Redhawk, and both have been flawless for many years. I've read about the issues with the LC, but none seem to be insurmountable.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I've got an lc9 and love it. 950 rounds through it so far. The trigger pull is long but it is smooth, I like it. It is also very accurate. It's easy to conceal carry, I have an iwb holdster.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Some thoughts on the Ruger LC9

Pro

- Rounded edged, useful for carry.
    - Small, but not too small for shooting comfort.
    - I personally like the external safety. It's in a location similar to 1911's safety, and you also flip down to fire. I feel I can operate this even under stress.
    - Cheaper than most of its competitors except for the Kel-Tec.

Con

- Over-engineered with too many safety features. These are useless, and they just represent more parts that could go wrong. Likewise, the chamber indicator ("loaded when up") is goofy.
    - Does not work with Sellier & Bellot ammo. For some reason the detritus from this brand will clog up the firing pin. Some people also report problems with the WWB. I just hope this does not indicate a larger problem with the firing pin that needs to be recalled.
    - The trigger is a on the long side. Need to practice to get used to it. The upside is that the long trigger pull makes ND less likely. But you should always carry this in a holster anyway.
    - The craftsmanship is only so-so.

Da Bing

sigmachijc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Zionsville
    I got that bug that makes me want to play with new stuff all the time. I get rid of something to get something else. I hope to get over it soon, I have a trail of regrets a mile long. My daily carry is a KelTec .380.

+1 to DaveO... I also can't keep a gun for very long.

I am not impressed with the LC9... However, I do love the LCP!

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    I've been carrying a g26, but wanted something smaller, thinner, and lighter.
    Picked up my LC9 last week and tried to break it in (200 rounds) in one session. After 164 assorted FMJ and a few +p JHPs, my trigger finger called it quits. This is obviously not a range pistol, and thats not what I bought it for, but the long -but quite smooth - trigger pull wore me out! It jumps pretty good when it goes bang, too. Nothing uncontrollable, but after years of firing Glocks definitely a handful!
    One warning: when you load the first round from a mag, be absolutely sure to pull the slide as far to the rear as you can before releasing it. Don't ride the slide! I had two occasions early on where it wasn't completely in battery, but the hammer dropped anyway when I pulled the trigger. It just put a small scratch on the round at the edge of the primer. Thank goodness it didn't fire or I would be writng an altogether different story!!!!!
    In total I believe that it will be an excellent EDC as soon as I get used to it not being a Glock!
    By the way - it is definitely smaller, thinner and lighter.:ar15:

Top Bottom