• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I was lucky(?) enough to find a PMR-30 last Tuesday, but with the Holiday I wasn't able to fire it until today. This thing is a FEATHER! It is unbelievably light, it almost feels like a toy... a squirt gun. Kel Tec says it weighs 13.6 ounces but it feels even lighter. Here's the link to Kel Tec CNC specs for the PMR-30.

The big attraction for me is 30 rounds of .22 magnum per mag (two mags included), but I've got to say, the mags are VERY sensitive to the way they're loaded. I'm not talking about avoiding "rim lock" as my Mosin has taught me all about that...:rolleyes: I'm not sure what the trick is as I didn't get as much time behind the pistol as I'd have liked. More on that later.

I was slightly concerned about the size of the grip, and it's fairly deep but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. FWIW, the angle is closer to a 1911 than, say, a Glock. The grip is slicker than I'd like, but it can be taped/stippled/hand-all/etc. The reach to the trigger must be "normal" as I didn't notice that it was awkward. What I did notice was the trigger itself. It's not like what I consider to be a Kel Tec/LCP type trigger. The pull on mine is fairly short, and very smooth and light. There's a bump on the back of the trigger that limits over-travel. Overall, it's a lot like my Buckmark, but slightly better in all respects. Well, it's not gold. ;)

Comes with fiber optic sights (2 orange dots in the back, 1 green in the front) that I like, they work and look like Williams Firesights.

Here's some pics:
    PB233022.jpg

PB233028.jpg

PB233041.jpg

The buffer looks like an expendable item, yet it's not available for purchase. Yet.
    PB233043.jpg

Width vs an M&P 40 with the "fat" back-strap
    PB233060.jpg

OK, how's it shoot? Well, mine is the only one I've even seen, let alone fired, so it's not a very representative sample. But:

YouTube - YouTube PMR30 CCI KaBoom1.mov
    YouTube - YouTube PMR30 CCI KaBoom2.mov
    YouTube - YouTube PMR30 CCI KaBoom3.mov
    YouTube - YouTube PMR30 reassembly.mov
    YouTube - YouTube PMR30 more FTFd after KaBoom.mov
    YouTube - YouTube PMR30 SuperX FAIL.mov
    YouTube - YouTube PMR30 slide stop fell off.mov

I will say that after looking at the brass, it seems to have fired out of battery. Here's the offending piece of brass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXMeLegV8E

It was very accurate and easy to keep on target. I can not figure out how/why the slide lock tab that fell off was capable of keeping the slide lock bar from engaging as there doesn't appear to have been any springs involved. Obviously, I'll be sending it back to Kel Tec... but I did go into the deal knowing I was essentially a beta tester. If Kel Tec makes it right, I'll be happy 'cause it was hella fun to shoot while it was working!

YouTube - pmr 30 ejection 420 FPS

YMMV

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Seems like I'm not the only one that has had a PMR-30 "blow up." As noted in the link, we were bothe using the same CCI ammo.

So with a total of to KaPop's (.22wmr isn't big enough to truly "Boom") reported on KTOG, they redesign the slide?

KTOG Forum - My PMR-30 blew up.  

Looking forward to the email that says it's on its way back home...

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Great videos. One comment. When anything happens and you start manipulating, get the finger off the trigger. Train for it. It might keep you from shooting something you shouldn't one day.

Digging the 420 fps video. Quite a flame coming out of that thing. :D

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for posting! I've been really intrigued with the PMR-30, but I think I'll wait for Kel-Tec to work out the kinks first. Please be sure to keep us updated once you get that bad boy back in your hands!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Good review.

Don't be so hard on yourself over the magazine loading. It's a keltec, the chances of it being your loading of the magazine vs the gun are very slim. Especially given all of the other issues.

It still amazes me how many people tolerate being beta testers and why keltec gets away with it but Jimenez doesn't. Strange koolaid.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    UPS just delivered my PMR; It does not seem to have the slide mod mentioned on KTOG. This doesn't bother me as long as the pistol is reliable.

Kel Tec received it on 12/6/2010, and I got it back on 1/5/2011; not bad for over the Holidays!

The work order says that they
    1. "replaced grip and/or mag catch." When I sent it in, the mag catch was in-op and the frame drooped down (had "the gap"); mag catch is GTG and the frame no longer has a gap.
    smiley.gif

2. "replaced the slide and/or barrel." I can't tell which one or if they did both.
    3. "polished the feed ramp." Looks polished.
    4. "replaced internal parts." The "remarks" section says they replace the hammer and hammer spring.
    5. "chamber serviced." I believe them, but I can't tell.
    6. "test fired." 90 rounds of CCI 40gr maxi mag, and it's easily dirty enough to believe.
    smiley.gif

I was hoping to get a free mag, but didn't. I'll be firing it NLT Friday, and I'll be video taping.

Here it is with an appropriate range toy attached. :)

DSCF0401.jpg

DSCF0408.jpg

DSCF0406.jpg

With some other pistols for size comparison...
    PB233063-1.jpg

PB233062-1.jpg

PB233061-1.jpg
    PB233064-1.jpg

PB233059-1.jpg

PB233060-1.jpg

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Did you have a chance Friday to try the PMR30 out after Kel-Tec went over it?

David
    Yes, I fired 400 rounds, no problems with ANY of them. None! :rockwoot:

100 - Winchester Super-X 40gr. HP
    100 - CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr. HP
    100 - CCI Maxi-Mag 40gr. TMJ
    100- Winchester Dynapoint 45gr.

Wasn't really set up for accuracy testing, but milk jugs @ 25-30 yards didn't stand a chance.

One thing I did notice when cleaning was that there was a lot less unburned powder in the frame. I guess it could be that when the case "split," it dumped most of its unburned(?) contents into the frame? Not sure as this was only the second time I've fired it.

I'm saying that Kel Tec fixed my PMR and it's quite possible that the "KaPop" was entirely ammo related. Kel Tec didn't say one way or the other.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Yes, I fired 400 rounds, no problems with ANY of them. None! :rockwoot:

I'm saying that Kel Tec fixed my PMR and it's quite possible that the "KaPop" was entirely ammo related. Kel Tec didn't say one way or the other.

Great news! Thanks for the update. I have been looking around and think I might have found a PMR30 source. I am excited to get my hands on one.

David

Top Bottom