• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI]YouTube - 1000 Round Glock Torture Test Part One[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZxQfIBXDc]YouTube - 1000 Round Glock Torture Test Part Two[/ame]

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Its stuff like this that I had zero bad thought about buying a 1996 made g21 a few weeks ago. I approve of the vid.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    But Glocks NEVER jam or have any problems what-so-ever...

1000 rds of rapid fire...check.

no failures of any kind? no check...

-J-

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Traded in my Mini-14 at the gun shop for a 3rd gen Glock 19, and don't regret it even a little. One of the smartest purchases I have ever made.
    :yesway:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Not really one of the "4 big rules" but definitely a rule at any respectable range. "Never break the firing line until the range has been called cold"

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    How many people drop the mag by pulling back on the slide? He seems to take a full second longer than I'm used to for a reload. I slap home the mag and use my thumb on the slide release to slam the round in.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    How many people drop the mag by pulling back on the slide? He seems to take a full second longer than I'm used to for a reload. I slap home the mag and use my thumb on the slide release to slam the round in.
    I do. It's a consistency thing.

What if the slide slides forward before you have the magazine seated? Do you have a round in the chamber? Are you sure? If you always rack the slide, after you seat the mag, you should always have a round in the chamber afterward.

Also, the slide LOCK may not always be in the same place with every single gun. It might be a little more forward or little farther back than you're used to if you're using a different gun than "normal." (An example: I have a SIG P250, but like a good girl, I have it locked in my safe because I don't carry it 24/7. However, we hear a bump in the night, my DH goes with gun in hand to investigate, for some crazy reason falls at my feet because the BG actually got by him, so I pick up his Glock 19. Unlikely situation, but possible.) The point: no matter what semi-auto I pick up, racking the slide will cause a bullet to be in the chamber.

Your body reacts to the habits you've trained it to. It would probably take a force of will for him NOT to rack the slide because that's how he's trained and practiced and taught for years.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Pami,

I was just about to make a similar post, consistency is key, and if you are used to doing it by pulling the slide you will be able to quickly reload any semi-autopistol. Some weapons (like my hi-point c9) don't have a slide release, so the only way to chamber a new round after the reload with the last round hold open is to rack the slide to its reward-most position and let it go.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How many people drop the mag by pulling back on the slide? He seems to take a full second longer than I'm used to for a reload.

He's probably not going balls to the wall; it's an exhibition shoot, not a training course or real-world shootout. IME, the extra time it takes to overhand the slide is negligible, and the benefits more than make up for it (see below).

I do, too, for the following reasons (in descending order of importance to me):

1) Overhanding the slide (or using the slingshot method, whichever) imparts more slide velocity than releasing it using the slide stop lever, which results in more positive loading. I've seen failures to feed caused by using the slide stop method; the slide just doesn't have enough "oomph" to strip a round out of the mag and slam it into the chamber.

2) Reps, baby! The overhand motion used to work the slide is the same one I use to clear a "stovepipe" malfunction. Practicing one technique builds muscle memory for the other.

3) Consistency across platforms - overhanding the slide works on pretty much any combat-type semi-auto, regardless of whether or not it has an external slide stop/release, or where it's located.

racking the slide will cause a bullet to be in the chamber.

I hope that bullet is attached to the rest of the cartridge! ;)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Good replies all. This is the exact reason I wanted to ask. I've always done tap, rack drills with ball and dummy in training, but not thought of slide rack for reducing issues with reload on differing firearms. All autos I have shot so far (quite a variety) had the slide release close enough that it didn't hamper me at all (with exception of some .22 variants, which I haven't shot in the same type of training as I would a combat pistol).

I'll have to ponder this for a while. Now that I have a P3AT without a slide lock, I will most likely shoot it empty in a stress situation, due to the smaller capacity than a full size auto. The slide does not lock back, so more than likely I'll get a click instead of a bang. This will require a full rack after a mag change. I will start it up to make it a habit.

(I'd give you another Rep Pami, but it told me to spread it around. :D )

Last edited:
    Top Bottom