• ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Howdy all,

I’m building an AR pistol and am looking to the INGO tribe for some input. Here’s the list of what I have:

-Complete upper with BCG
    -New Mfr “empty” lower, not stripped, just no LPK installed
    -BCM grip
    -SB PDW brace

It's my understanding that I need a standard carbine buffer spring and weight, a trigger guard and a LPK to get operational (cool accessories notwithstanding).

Now, as long as my supposition is correct above, here is the main question: What should I be looking at for a LPK?

-I don’t want/need a “match” trigger, but I’m open to improvements over a stock trigger.

-I’m cheap, but prefer high-dollar [STRIKE]women[/STRIKE] guns; what’s the best bang for the buck out there for these components?

-I’m seeing packages ranging from $20 for 15 pieces, to kits that are $100+ with 337 pieces. What the hell do I NEED?

This is my first build that’s required tools, so I’m in new territory. I appreciate all the forthcoming input and sharing of information.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    A lower parts kit normally comes with everything to complete a lower except for the buffer tube, buffter spring, castle nut and stock. Somewhere around 31 pieces if I'm thinking right. Includes pistol grip, trigger, hammer, pins, springs, detents, etc.

What Your AR-15 Lower Build Needs

When I started building, I used to go budget all the way. With the goal of having an AR for as little as I could. But on occassion I had issues with parts not fitting so well, and found that I prefer to pay a little more for the LPK. Plus I don't want the standard pistol grip, trigger guard and trigger. So, I buy kits that don't have them, and then get what I want.

I like the small parts kits from Wilson Combat, and have used ALG Defense small parts kits as well. Never wanted a super high dollar trigger, but got Spikes Battle Triggers a time or 2. But do like the QMS and ACT triggers from ALG Defense. Something a little better than a milspec unit without breaking the bank.

Some other places I've grabbed parts are Toms Tactical, Schuyler Arms, Rousch Sports, Ballistic Advantage, Aims Surplus. Should be able to locate those with a google search.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Great, thanks for the responses guys. My first AR was built on a complete Stag lower so this is new to me. Since I’m building this one with more pieces/parts, I’m trying to invest a little more for some quality components, without trying to break the bank.

This new lower is a Spike’s, so I’m not anticipating too much trouble.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Great, thanks for the responses guys. My first AR was built on a complete Stag lower so this is new to me. Since I’m building this one with more pieces/parts, I’m trying to invest a little more for some quality components, without trying to break the bank.

This new lower is a Spike’s, so I’m not anticipating too much trouble.

If you need to borrow any tools hit me up

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    When you put pins with springs in, make sure you're working inside a box or a very small area with a sheet or something covering the floor. If one of the pins pops you could lose the spring and the detent pin. I did mine in the shower stall with the door closed, and the drain covered, which is good, because that happened. You can buy a tool to help with the process or use a clevis pin instead. Someone here probably has the right tool. AR builds can be fun, but there's no feeling like losing a part you waited a week for it to come in. I definitely watched a lot of assembly videos but first two times just cheap parts kits and upgraded to better grip or trigger later.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Yeah, My boy Trigger Time already offered to let me borrow some tools - and I know when I need to let the pros handle it! I plan on dropping off the project to an armorer buddy so I know it gets done right...

And TT helped me out with a buffer assembly so all I need is the LPK now. The search continues!

Top Bottom